LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Hi all,
While not entirely new to the forum thought it was time to post an intro.

Angus from Newcastle here and I bought a 1997 Trigger Legnum a few months back.
I used to own one a few years ago and was always disappointed that I had to sell it because of getting a company car. However recently found that work was cutting back on expenses and within 6 months or so I would be losing the company vehicle so of course started searching for a replacement.
It was always going to be another Legnum and as fate would have it the car I sold a few years earlier was available.
I saw the ad one morning and she was back in my driveway that afternoon.

In three years there was less than 15K put on the clock and apart from a new ding or 2 and the worlds ugliest rims it was essentially unchanged.
It did have new front rotors, new radiator, lifters, battery, plugs, leads. Also the best heat resistant spray can Bembro's that you can get from supercheap for $20 a can.
Good thing about buying it back (had been through 2 owners hands in the meantime) was that I knew it had its 100k service and factory recalls were all done as well as engine mounts. Even after all this time I remembered how it sounded and drove so from the test drive I could tell that there were no major issues.

So plan now is to get it mechanically and cosmetically fixed up.
Need to give it a minor service, check and replace bearings and suspension rubbers.
I got a set of coilovers from previous owner which have not been fit but they dont have any brand markings so not sure of quality, if I can determine I may fit these.
Passenger side mirror needs replacement as well. (adjusts OK but wont fold in).
Replace BOV, service turbos should also be on the cards.

Cosmetically I need to fix up those $20 Bembros and either re-paint or get new rims.
Hopefully will also have a monster bonnet if it fits. (Does anyone know if there is a difference between FL and PFL bonnets?)
Repair minor rear wing crack and ding or two. Will just spray and top coat these repairs initially as I also
plan of full exterior respray in the future.
Interior is in great condition but will retrim door cards, paint wood grain and tidy up.
Also need new engine cover and tow hook cover.

Not planning on any major upgrades but probably will go for Cat back exhaust, IC hard pipes and other modest mods as time and $$ permit.

Well that's me, I have seen a few Legnums getting around Newcastle so maybe will catch up one day....

Cheers,
Angus (Paul).

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Welcome back Paul.

Someone recently posted a thread about fixing the mirror folding - http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/how-to-fix-your-folding-side-mirror-and-then-break-it-again.15667/
Bonnets are different between PFL and FL (centre bulge is more pronounced on FL), but I believe they both fit the same.

Unclepaulie's infamous welcome template, version 15.13c

Stuff you need to know:
- Forum rules

Stuff that could save your life:
Do not buy aftermarket suspension parts, especially Lower Control Arms (LCAs)

- This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms
- Recall check using your chassis number

Useful threads:
- INDEX - Look here FIRST
- Guide to Galant & Legnum common problems
- The most important thread on the forum. MUST READ
- Staged Upgrades
- Legnum/Galant Production Info

Posting new threads is restricted by default. For full access you need to be a Premium Member ($15 a year):
- Upgrading your account

Please read before selling anything on this site:
- Rules for posting in the classifieds

mitch

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
mitch
Drive
96 Legnum
welcome mate, ill be working in newi soon, will give you a wave if i see you

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Post some pics Paul, I can't see any from your previous ownership either!

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
@LDundon has just moved up to Newcastle, keep an eye out for a pearl white PFL with purple highlights kicking around. He's rocking launch control and 200kwatw.

LDundon

Violent Violet
Lifetime Member
First Name
Lindsay
Drive
Pearl White 1998 PFL Legnum
Look forward to seeing you around mate! Give me a yell if you need an extra pair of hands doing any work on her! :)

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Thanks Mate,
She runs well but body is a bit rough.Unfortunately made redundant just before Xmas so cash is a bit short for any major work. Will fix up the body and do some maintainence work but thats about it for the moment.

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Sandvik mining and construction...

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Welcome Angus. We use some unique Sandvik Rotary Die cutters at work and deal with Sandvik France via Newcastle. Heard you guys were shutting down which is a shame. Usually deal with Andrew Barnes and another Sales engineer but cant remember his name right now. Were you there long?

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Was there 6 years, been watching numbers slowly drop over the last 3 years or so. I was in aftermarket mining equipment repairs. Know the names but dont think I met them, they would have been in tooling.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
So is it safe to say another Fitter/Machinist joins the VR4 ranks.

LEGVR4

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
No I was a supervisor/estimator/planner... actually came from an electronics background..

Top Bottom