unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
So im planing on roadtripping to sydney and melbourne in january,

but after reading a few things im gettin sketchy about it.

EPA, red labels etc.

now, in queensland i get no/minimal trouble from the police, but i hav a sinking, gut feeling i will be owned by HWP or taipan in NSW or VIC.

anyone else get hassled much? or are HWP and taipan mainly after obnoxiously loud silvias and skylines?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I reckon if you don't drive like an idiot you should be ok. Your car doesn't even have a wing.

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
Yeah same, I've never had a problem with cops in Sydney.. I've been pulled over twice in the vr4 but always have been let off because I've been polite and haven't lied. I think you will be fine in Sydney for sure as long ad your not doing something realllllly stupid!

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Same here. No probs even with the Apexi 5in cannon on the back.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
cool, its putting my mind at ease. i mean...i drive a magna with a big muffler and 17" wheels lol

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
TBH, the 8G Galants/Legnums go under the radar in Victoria and the actions speak louder than appearances. If you tend to do anything stupid, you'll get pulled over in Victoria.

For example, a lazy slide through two right-hand turn lanes in the wet in my brother's VL Commodore did attract attention of the local constabulary.

The only thing you really have to look out for are speed cameras. Everywhere. Any government that relies/budgets its expenditure on fines collected from speed cameras and does NOT put the money back into driver education (a complete misnomer in Australia) just pisses me off.

If you REALLY want to go for a driving license test that does require skill and control, go do it in Finland. Seriously!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
ok gav...bit of a rant there :p but i understand you completely.

hopefully ill be right if i keep a low profile on the roads

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Havent been pulled over once! only when i was actualy not setting the correct example other ways you should all good.

Ps my car is loud and got some goodness of goodies and i still get waved thru the booze bus :)

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Hey Paul, i too have not had any issues with the coppas..I have a 4" varex xforce muffler and whenever I see them i put it to silent. they have followed me a couple of times for a km or so but never stopped me. As long as you follow the speed limit and keep yr back end in check you'll be alright.

Oh and do come by Newy to say HI!

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
i been by the infamous petet (sp) and he let me off with a warning. That is unheard of in my area :)

so in short. you'll be fine.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
The TOGgies around my area are big fans of undercover cars, but they still stick out a mile off. But I've never been bothered by them for no reason, usually they're too busy dishing out canaries to all the local f*ckwits in their bommodores, or defecting all the shkylines bro.

Keep your head in and you'll be fine:)

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
The TOGgies around my area are big fans of undercover cars, but they still stick out a mile off. But I've never been bothered by them for no reason, usually they're too busy dishing out canaries to all the local f*ckwits in their bommodores, or defecting all the shkylines bro.

Keep your head in and you'll be fine:)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I had a loud car, shiney wheels, carbon bonnet, blow off valve.. but I was only pulled over twice in my VR4..

Once was a breath test, and once was because I didnt have a front numberplate on.. Both times they didn't say a thing about my bonnet, didn't defect me for anything, and didn't even give me grief! I just pointed to the numberplate on the foot well of the passenger seat and said I need to make brackets to hold it.. They said just get it done asap and sent me on my way!

In NSW there are 3 signs before a speed camera, but the "safety cameras" will get you for speeding AND redlight if you run a redlight, and they are also working as 24/7 speed cameras.. They only have one small sign just before the intersection.

If you don't drive like an idiot, and you're polite, chances are you'll be fine..

Just on the Hume Hwy down to Victoria they have point to point cameras, and they don't have signs for cameras.. Only "safety cameras used in this area" which means, somewhere within the next few KM there will be a camera (either on the side of the road, on the front of a bridge, or the back of a bridge).. I just kept my eye out and kept on the speed limit when I did my road trip to Vic, and as far as I'm aware I didn't get any fines! Still nothing in the mail nearly 3 weeks later, so touch wood I didn't get done haha..

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Paul dont stress, If you don't do anything to catch their attention you will be fine. Cops only hassle people doing dumb shit in their cars on the road or cars that look defective or pimped out.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Sorry, had to vent :D

I've only been pulled over twice in Loki,

First time was when I had owned him for a month and they wanted to have a look since one of them returned from a trip to NZ with the comment

"Yeah, these things can go. *turns to his partner* We may have to keep an eye out for these in the future."

The second time was so my fault... approaching a stopped unmarked car that was turning left, and seeing the big gap on the single lane, overtook him on the inside as he was turning as well. Was DAMN lucky to escape with a $135 fine and no demerit points after a good apologetic roadside chat for five minutes since he was positively fuming.

Some of you may have seen that photo with me pulled up with the unmarked BA Series II XR6 Turbo. Oops.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Have never been touched by the cops in the Galant. Have had a couple have a long look while approaching from the opposite direction, but most don't even do that.

And trust me - there's a couple of cops in my area that just love imports...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I never had issues with police with my VR4. I only ever got pulled into RBT stations once or twice.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Just on the Hume Hwy down to Victoria they have point to point cameras,

From memory I think they are only for trucks? I can say for a fact I've gone over the speed limit through those intersections for 10 years & never been caught!

You already have a low profile already Paul? (Tyre joke!)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
The cameras are for all the traffic Brad, not just trucks mate.

Hey Paul, don't worry mate, the traffic is so shit in Melbourne now, you wont be able to do anything stupid in your car! :p

Top Bottom