OEM IC Specs sheet

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a or any clue if there is a spec sheet of our OEM IC? (calling out Carsten, brad, Trev)?

DECC is telling me that having a larger FMIC is an emmission problem unless I can provide some supporting document to show that the OEM IC have almost the same size of the x3e one I have.

ta!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Stock one, is ~500x300mm with 50mm inlet/outlet diameter

I don't understand how a different sized IC could effect emissions...??

cheers

Lee

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Regarding a spec sheet, maybe try the workshop manual... Or even the original Japanese version?

I'd be questioning WHY they need such evidence, how it is relevant to the vehicle's safety or emissions, as Lee said. I mean, if you took the IC off completely they probably wouldn't have a problem with that, even though it would mean the vehicle being far less efficient (thus substantially higher emissions).

Kris may be able to shed some light on this, as I'm sure he's had to deal with stuff like this in the past...?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Sounds like a crock of s**t. It's a heat exchanger end of story. The only "effect" on emissions is......yer that's right, none!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Not sure on the exact size either, perhaps best for someone to measure their stock one.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a or any clue if there is a spec sheet of our OEM IC? (calling out Carsten, brad, Trev)?

DECC is telling me that having a larger FMIC is an emmission problem unless I can provide some supporting document to show that the OEM IC have almost the same size of the x3e one I have.

ta!

Flip it around and put it on them to provide you with supporting documents to prove that it does effect emissions...
:wanker:'s

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Well, I called DECC to ask for a support documentation stating that having an aftermarker IC is emission issue and guess what.........they don't have such documentation or publication, how funny is that???

The so called "vehicle technical" guy, explains to me about this and that and yadda yadda yadda that the more dense air, combust more exhaust fumes.

So he suggested that to keep my cooler, I have to get it emission tested at their RTA emission testing station at either Botany or Penrith, cost is free and to keep my cooler permanently on the car.

So, need your all personal opinion, should I...

a) - get my car emission tested so for me to keep my IC

or

b) - place my standard cooler back and get on with it and later put it back on again and risk of being caught again.

Place your vote in now.

Oh, found this publication from EPA VIC stating that replacing to a larger cooler is permitted as long as the intake system is not modified. Clicky (page 5 clause c)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
A.
But wont they want to see a comparo between stock & aftermarket coolers? Or is it that as long as it doesn't exceed 'X' amount of homowatts its fine?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
We are all f*@Ked if they are going down that road......just about every mod car has a different air intake and bigger IC

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If it passes emissions then they can f#$% right off, no matter what power it's putting out. If you're confident your car is doing its job properly then just get it emissions tested.

Just make sure you find out what happens if you FAIL the emissions test - if its a $1200 fine obviously don't do that! Also find out what guarantees you'll have that the car will pass inspection if you successfully pass the emissions test.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
That is what I am thinking, I am confident that the car will do its job since the car didn't had any major mods except for IC and EBC and boost is set at standard 8psi (need to hide on hard location). I have replaced my plugs and leads. Probably put my paper filter back on, and will replace my O2 sensor to be more precise on reading.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Well, emission test has been booked a month from now. I hope that DECC Defect Notice will give me a plenty of time.:banghead:

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Ok, only 3 more sleeps before my emission test comes up on Wednesday. We will find out if having an aftermarket cooler will be an emission problem.

I have done replacing my O2 Sensor, cleaned my injectors, de-coke my upper engine, set my boost to stock boost (I still have my EBC on) and I got my defect notice last week.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
yeah this is an interesting debate missed it originally somehow. I would be keen as I am sure others would be too, can you post up a scan of the report when you have had it done? Stupid buggers.

I would assume that if this comes through ok as I suspect it will then it would be a good reference for us all. I would expect the same rules apply across the country as it must come back to an ADR.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
So how does this not affect every modded car in OZ? I see many many cars with HUGE FMIC, especially WRX who have a top mount that is quite small and once changed to a front mount would certainly fall outside the "same as standard"

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Ok, I though I posted the test results yesterday when I was having munchies at Maccas with their free WiFi.

Anyhow, the car failed on emission test. It is way over the on the standard figure specially on NOx and CO2, and the car is running reach, apparently I was on 14/100km.

The tester guy was very helpful on explaining the variations that cause the high CO2. I did asked him if the aftermarket intercooler was one of the factors of failing the test, well...guess what, it does not!!!

There is one interesting point he mentioned though, since my car was a 97 model, there is no way it will pass on emission test even if the OEM Cooler was put back due to current IM240. He explains further that 93% of the cars on the road from 1973 to 2003 model cars (even 2004) are more likely to fail on emission test with the current IM240.

So for everyone out there, the only way that we can past emission test to mod the car and get it tuned (on aftermarket ECU or piggyback)! Yes, this advise was came from the RTA Tester guy itself. Proof?? Here is a proof that you will pass with Mods.

For me, to get rid of my defect notice, I will have to put back my OEM Cooler and get it inspected ASAP as I got until 17/04/09 to clear it. I don't need to show my emission test results since they didn't asked to get the car emission tested, I just did that voluntary just to find if or not will pass with the cooler I have.

I will post the scanned result when I get home.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What would be interesting is if you could put the standard one back on and then test the car again.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
What would be interesting is if you could put the standard one back on and then test the car again.
That is the very first idea came into my mind when I got the results. But this will cause another problem for me if the car failed with the standard on.

DECC (EPA) will slap me another defect notice if they sees the failed result even if with the standard cooler is on, that will put me again on the hot seat and cause me further on time and money and grief.

Top Bottom