Petrol - What do you all use?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Alrighties, just a quick question.. Sorry if there is a topic on it already or not..

But what petrol do you guys all use?

I've only filled my car once since having it (Saturday) and i used Shell V-Power.. I assume that is 95octane?

Is that just general 'Premium Unleaded" with a fancy name?

I plan on only ever using Premium in my Galant, but should i use the 98 one where available? or am ok using just any Premium Unleaded?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Sure is - V-Power is 98RON, Shell then have their premium unleaded @ 95RON.
Suggestions for fuel are:
Shell V-Power (98 RON)
BP Ultimate (98 RON)
Mobil Synergy 9000 (98 RON - purple bowser)
Caltex Vortex 98 (98 RON)

All are pretty good, some swear by BP, others by Shell. Basically, keep it 98 you'll be fine.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
You must use 98 unless you want to get your car re tuned to run on 95 and why in the hell would you want to sacrifice your performance for cheaper petrol.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
It's not just performance, Pete - cars like our's use 98RON fuel to eliminate preignition as high temperature engines with high-boost applications are prone to detonation. Even if you have the engine 'retuned' for 95RON fuel you're likely to have detonation problems, which will lead to engine destruction and tears.

There are a couple of existing threads dealing with fuel, Tom (including the extremely lengthy Fuel Consumption Figures thread) - the search button is your friend :)

G

Unregistered
ive had two tanks of BP in my car and it drinks it something chronic, been running shell v-power and it seems to have settled on a consistant usage pattern although havent tried mobil or caltex yet.

im still umm-ing and arr-ing as to whether to try the boost 98 stuff from the United servo's which has about 5 or 10% ethanol in it.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I use to use mobil 98 in my 4age 20v in melbourne and would swear by it, although up on the sunny coast there is no sign of mobile :s

But have used it in brisbane in the legnum and would stand by it over any other brands!

G

Unregistered
^^ my turbo sss wont run on anything but mobil, if i put bp or shell in it i get a knock sensor error msg and into limp mode my ecu goes...running mobil keeps it all above water, probably has something to do with the fact it had a full tank of mobil when the ecu & ebc were installed and dyno tuned.

it doesnt help when im running on empty and cant find a friggin mobil servo anywhere! i cant be arsed having it retuned though.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I've been using United Boost 98 for ages, in all of my cars. Never had a problem.

G

Unregistered
yeah just saw that...i might do some research prior to using it but id still be interested to see the results.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Alrighties thanks guys, I'll keep using 98 if I can find it! Seems most of the little petrol stations only have general unleaded and general premium.. which i assume is 95? and i should stay away from 95?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Tom, you've seen my post in the fuel economy thread... basically 95 will be ok, BUT you will run on the lower octane fuel map which will run richer, giving you worse economy and lower power (less timing advance/more fuel)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There are a couple of guys running their cars on 95 Tom and who say their cars are running fine. Personally I'd only use it in an emergency (ie when the only other choice is walking).

EDIT: Hotwire just posted this which sheds some light on the issue.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Thanks for all your help guys :)

Being my first Turbo and all, im learning haha

Top Bottom