Pipes/vibration

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
I'm after some advice on my pfl auto legnum which has a couple of issues.
The hot side turbo piping is larger diameter,aluminium and not the best fit as shown. Does this create lag? would I be better off with standard pipes?
Also there's a vibration as it changes 2-3-4. Possible issues are - Tailshaft seemed fine on inspection but there's an occasional slight clunk when putting in D & R. Or trans/tourqe converter. It came with solid engine mounts and sayc installed.
I purchased the legnum from Sleepyvr4, I was aware of its issues before purchasing and am extremely happy with the deal. Finding it difficult to contact previous owner-does anyone know this vehicle? Has it been tuned/dynoed? Output?
Visual mods are: big exhaust as in pics,varex,hdi ebc,lowered,ralliart dampers,rays volks and previously mentioned items.
Any information is much appreciated :).

Attachments

• DSC_0003~2.jpg
    DSC_0003~2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2014-11-02-03-31-28~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-02-03-31-28~2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2014-11-02-03-29-13~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-02-03-29-13~2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 45

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Not sure if you have Pros or local made y pipe and front pipes but consider this:
1. You have what look like tuned length front pipes which are rare
2. Custom y intercooler pipe which is also rare

Intercooler and piping size increase adds lag but not very noticeably. Piping alone won't have significant drawbacks but will have noticeable improvements.

Clunk and vibration in gear changes sounds like a gearbox issue. I have solid engine mounts and only get extra vibrations at idle.

Edit: The y pipe is definitely not from Pros Engineering

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
Not sure if you have Pros or local made y pipe and front pipes but consider this:
1. You have what look like tuned length front pipes which are rare
2. Custom y intercooler pipe which is also rare

Intercooler and piping size increase adds lag but not very noticeably. Piping alone won't have significant drawbacks but will have noticeable improvements.

Clunk and vibration in gear changes sounds like a gearbox issue. I have solid engine mounts and only get extra vibrations at idle.

Edit: The y pipe is definitely not from Pros Engineering
Yes, the mounts seem to most cause vibration at low idle and is possibly amplifying an issue with the driveline. Trans fluid was pretty disgusting when flushed.I have a good low ks spare trans, suppose I should change this and remove/check tailshaft more closely first.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I am in no way trying to bag out some1's product. I have heard those ally pipes rub on the bonnet. Maybe this could be ur vibration? U can see the rub marks on front turbo pipe,

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
The exhaust is from Windsor Exhaust and was on the TME legnum. Maybe ask Steve if he's ever tuned it

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
The pipes are rubbing and aren't a very good installation. Will lift bonnet to see if it stop but dont thinks it's that simple.can feel the vibration through my seat only on changes.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Considering the oil condition that you found and judging by the symptoms, it sounds like the clutch packs Are worn.

Top Bottom