[QLD] Willowbank 1/4 Mile Sat 23 Feb

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey Justin,

Ben and I will probably be heading up together from the coast. I'll PM you my mobile so we can find you once we get there.

We'll be aiming to get there right as gates open at 4pm.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'd love to come and watch, but got work.. and not sure if it'll be wise to do some activity before work.. since it didnt' entirely worked out last time..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Guys,

I just got home - nothing broke!! YAY!

My best time was 14.3, never got the perfect launch - bogged down a couple of times and had the clutch slip big time on my last run (14.8).

I ran 15 flat on my first run so I was quite happy with my progress as the night progressed (and the temp dropped from 32 to 22)

Can't wait to get back there after a few more mods. I highly recommend all the QLD boys get out there and give it a go. They run Wed and Sat nights, check the website for when the next one is.

Ben had done a 14.1 when I last talked to him and he was going to have one more run so hopefully he broke the 14sec barrier!

cheers

Lee

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Nice work mate!

Wishing I had gone now knowing that the temperature dropped nicely.
Next time hey.

What are your mods btw Lee?

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
well done guys! what was u'r terminal speed Lee? will be interesting to hear what ben's last run was

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
What are your mods btw Lee?

Boost turned up (15psi peak), Greddy Iridium plugs (one heat range colder than standard) and a bit of hacksaw work to the front grill to open up the airflow :)

Hipsi said:
well done guys! what was u'r terminal speed Lee?

Best was 156km/h. Best 60ft was 2.05. Best reaction 0.97.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
good work Lee.. now I wished i joined you guys.. where's the vid?

who else went?

G

Unregistered
Hey Lee what seemed to be your best launch technique?
RPM at the start, release clutch style, RPM at gear change...

G

Unregistered
I stuffed the last run..too high revs the car creaped forward and tripped the line and I was committed to go then only ran a 14.3 for that one. It should run a high 13 with a few more runs.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
good work Lee.. now I wished i joined you guys.. where's the vid?

who else went?

We didn't have anyone with in the stands with a video unfortunately - but I bought a pic of me launching which was taken by a photographer on track. I'll post it once it arrives.

It was just me and Ben from OZVR4 - Justin was supposed to be there but changed his mind at the last minute *cough* soft *cough* :D

There was a standard Stagea that did 15.1 and a 180sx that I went up against did a 13.2 (boy did I wish I had bigger turbos as he pulled away!).

I also had a run against a late model STI Liberty and he bet me across the line by a car length or two but I never found the timing slip so I don't know what our times were or what mods he had done to the Liberty

cheers

Lee

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey Lee what seemed to be your best launch technique?
RPM at the start, release clutch style, RPM at gear change...

I think my best run I let the clutch out quickly from around 3500-4000rpm, it's hard to remember as there is so much going through your head as you're watching the lights!

As I mentioned it bogged down a couple of times with lower revs and I tried using higher revs and riding the clutch but it slipped pretty bad.

Ideally you would have a tougher clutch and be able to let it out quickly (maybe not just step off it, but still let it out quick) at 5000rpm.

As for gear change points I was pretty much revving out to redline, maybe a little lower say 6500. I tried short shifting one run as my max kw is about 5500 I think, but the revs dropped too low and stuffed up the run lol

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
its hard to get it right in the heat of the moment there is a lot of pressure

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Well done lads, speaking to Lee after the drags, he sounded like he had a great time.

Does anyone in here have some standard wheels to borrow if I were to join in the next run? Of course I would have to do a few mods first.

How hard would it be to have the strip to oursleves one evening? Im guessing we would have to have an official of some sort....

Thoughts???

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
How hard would it be to have the strip to oursleves one evening?

Thoughts???

Pretty hard I'd say and very expensive. I'd recommend hitting it on a Wed night when it might be a bit quieter.

I got there early and got in 4 runs before it got busy (probably could have done more but I let the car cool down a bit between runs).

cheers

Lee

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
:DRoger that one bro, oh well dreams are free hey. Maybe look out for our own strip (In our dreams of course):)

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
It was just me and Ben from OZVR4 - Justin was supposed to be there but changed his mind at the last minute *cough* soft *cough* :D
Yeah yeah! :D Wish I had gone now.

We didn't have anyone with in the stands with a video unfortunately - but I bought a pic of me launching which was taken by a photographer on track. I'll post it once it arrives.
Who was the photographer?

Pretty hard I'd say and very expensive. I'd recommend hitting it on a Wed night when it might be a bit quieter.

I got there early and got in 4 runs before it got busy (probably could have done more but I let the car cool down a bit between runs).
A wednesday wouldn't be a bad idea...

Four runs with breaks between isn't too bad. From what I'd head that's about all you'd usually get in in a night here. Despite the track back in Townsville being sh*t, one thing I loved is that you could get in 40+ runs in a night if you wanted to. Cheap too @ $22.

:DRoger that one bro, oh well dreams are free hey. Maybe look out for our own strip (In our dreams of course):)
Back in T'ville there was a disused WW2 airstrip that few people knew about that we sometimes went and had a play on. 1.1km long. Was good fun! Land has been sold now unfortunately.

airstrip.jpg

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Sounds great guys. I will definately come next time. A mate and I are looking at going in about a months time. Will keep you posted when we go.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Next sat night test and tune it pretty much exactly a month away Mike, so that'll fit in well.

Top Bottom