Questions/help needed about visa and jobs

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Hey guys,
As some of you know, I am from Malaysia and came to Australia to do my degree. Well, I have completed my degree, which means in order to legally stay here for longer I’ll need to have another visa.(I came by plane, not boat and I still want to mod my VR4 and my partner still have 1 year to go in Uni).

I am looking at applying a temporary graduate stream visa (485) after I get my transcript etc. to work here while waiting for my graduation (April 2014). Could use my partner to get visa (she is Australia’s Citizen) but doesn’t look good, I want to try with my own qualification first as I can forsee” Blo%$dy Asian just want to stay in Aussie that’s why he is with you” lols….no offence to anyone: P

So basically I am trying to gather as much information as I can right now. If anyone of you had dealt with this before, know someone who works in immigration or migration office could you please let me know. Any information now will help.

I am also looking for a job now for the visa. Immigration stated that I have to find a job that relates to what I study. So currently I am looking for a job in laboratory, such as laboratory technician. A bit of background, I completed a Bachelor of Science (Forensic Science) (Forensic Chemistry). Did lots of analytical chemistry stuffs (GS-MS, AAS, HPLC etc) and also did Nata Accredited unit and OH&S. Basically sort of plan the pathway for a Lab rat career :) If anyone have any info about job please let me know as well.

So please, any help will be appreciated and thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Alvin

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Hey Alvin, one thing you might look into is sponsorship. Can't remember quite what the details are, but it requires someone with quite a bit of cash ($14k I think ) who is willing to vouch for you and has no plans to move overseas for 10 years. I'm sure the $14k is "held" until your sponsorship period is over and then released back to the sponsor. Companies can also do this. Someone may be able to clarify that, but to my understanding, it's an option.

Both my bosses immigrated here recently, so I could probably ask for the details of their immigration lawyer if you like

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Hi Alvin, my wifes cousins husband is lawyer working in immigration. I will give him a call and pass on his details if you want. How urgent is this, as I have some busy days ahead.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
If a company does it I'm pretty sure it costs them more like $600 as my friend just did it and was amazed how willing people were to do it until he found out how much it was costing them. I came over with my family when I was still a kid based on my dad's trade and was sponsored by family we had here, again this was only a couple of thousand from memory. But definitely speak to a migration lawyer, there are so many pitfalls it's not funny.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
I married my wife in Vietnam was pritty hard to get her here took about a year, and a hell of a lot of paperwork and proof that our relationship was for real.Sponership is about $10000 last I checked last year to bring her sister for a holiday wich they did not allow. It is so hard to get into this country now days. Word of advice be truthfull, get engaged if you love your missis and see a future with her, they might send you home first and let you back in later. Good luck bud

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
isn't sponsorship only required if your visa is 457? which is for overseas foreign workers? and if what you're studying is on the list that qualifies you for migration.. then patience is what you need (from memory)

I know of a member here who waited for 3 or so years to get his Permanent Residency..

also I think if you were to apply (or approve) for another visa, you need to leave/exit the country and come back in? (please clarify as this information is not first hand info)

and as Vegeeta's reply ^^^^ be truthful.. any slight chance that they think you're hiding something, it'll take longer for your application to get process as more investigation is done..

also, my friend married my cousin, he did all the paperworks.. no lawyers or anything.. answered all the questions straight up.. waiting for 3 months.. no replies.. he went to the immigration and asked for one of the agent/representatives for an interview
3 months later it got approved :) and now she's here

also another scenario..

my friend and cousin sponsored my other cousin to visit Australia.. immigration saw him as a 'high risk' so initially got declined.. my friend did the same thing by going to the immigration and asked for an interview. Explained the situation (my friend and my cousin's from the Philippines)... 6 months later, visitor visa got approved for a duration of 6 months.. then they applied for extension.. and got approved...

no bonds were required too!

NOXQSZ

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pauly
Drive
Hopes n dreams
I've gone through something similar recently with my Mrs. I'm an Australian citizen, she's Brazilian. We met here while she was on a student visa. From what I understand, your options are:

To get married overseas, then apply for a marriage visa based on the length of your relationship and your previous studies here.

To get a defacto visa staying your partner is still studying and whilst you have completed your degree you would like to commence entering the work force with those studies.

Get a sponsor, friend or employer as above.

Get a working visa based on your skill set which you have studied for.

My partner and I got a defacto visa. It took about 3-4 months for us to complete the paper work and it took over a year to be granted. The cost was roughly $3,500. It was a huge amount of work seeing I am an australian and have not sponsored anyone before. We had a huge amount of evidence so I was quite surprised.

I have a lot of expat mates that have been through the same and had no where near half the trouble and that's when both partners are expats, quote bizar really.

Best of luck.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Both my bosses immigrated here recently, so I could probably ask for the details of their immigration lawyer if

Thanks Ben, Please do as any info will help :)

Hi Alvin, my wifes cousins husband is lawyer working in immigration. I will give him a call and pass on his details if you want. How urgent is this, as I have some busy days ahead.

Thanks Simon. Well my visa ends in the end of September. I am strating to get everything ready now so. Whenever possible :) I understand everyone have their priority.

isn't sponsorship only required if your visa is 457? which is for overseas foreign workers? and if what you're studying is on the list that qualifies you for migration.. then patience is what you need (from memory)

Yes you are correct. 457 is sponsored thats why I am looking for a job, apparently have to be related to what i studied. Forensic Science won't be listed in the list, there's no demand. I never had any issue visiting Australia, I just apply eVisa online as Malaysia is listed in immi website that can just apply visitor visa online without hassle of going to embassy etc. I just wanted the graduate visa and stay here till missus graduate, then we will decide :). Thanks Christian

I've gone through something similar recently with my Mrs. I'm an Australian citizen, she's Brazilian. We met here while she was on a student visa. From what I understand, your options are:

To get married overseas, then apply for a marriage visa based on the length of your relationship and your previous studies here.

To get a defacto visa staying your partner is still studying and whilst you have completed your degree you would like to commence entering the work force with those studies.

Get a sponsor, friend or employer as above.

Get a working visa based on your skill set which you have studied for.

My partner and I got a defacto visa. It took about 3-4 months for us to complete the paper work and it took over a year to be granted. The cost was roughly $3,500. It was a huge amount of work seeing I am an australian and have not sponsored anyone before. We had a huge amount of evidence so I was quite surprised.

I have a lot of expat mates that have been through the same and had no where near half the trouble and that's when both partners are expats, quote bizar really.

Best of luck.

Don't think I want to get married yet, its a lot of money and I've pretty much spent it all while I am here.(international student spend ridiculous amount of money for uni fees). haha...
Defacto was in my list, twe will do that if my grad visa ain't good enough.

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Anyone know if cousin can sponsor another cousin? He is a PR here.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Alvin, the best way is to get in touch with a immi lawyer..they know all the visa that maybe applicable to you and any loopholes...I went through one for my PR and they were very reasonable IMO and got all my paperwork together and I got my PR 3.5 months after submitting all my docs...

I used a mob called visalawyers.com.au as they were higly recommended to me by a relative and they were really good and reasonably priced. Give them a shot...go to their website and fill in their Free Assessment form and they will contact you with your options.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
This is a very good thread. Lots of great info in here for when I import my bride over :)

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
Alvin, the best way is to get in touch with a immi lawyer..they know all the visa that maybe applicable to you and any loopholes...I went through one for my PR and they were very reasonable IMO and got all my paperwork together and I got my PR 3.5 months after submitting all my docs...

I used a mob called visalawyers.com.au as they were higly recommended to me by a relative and they were really good and reasonably priced. Give them a shot...go to their website and fill in their Free Assessment form and they will contact you with your options.

Will do. Thanks. Will check out the website :)

This is a very good thread. Lots of great info in here for when I import my bride over :)

haha. had a feeling this joke might pop up and it did :)

staticc

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 Galant VR4

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89

Make sure you get the Face Lift Model... although in this case maybe PFL is better so you know what you are dealing with.. could turn out to be an X MEN... whahaha..

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
Most important if you go to a migration agent is to find a good one. My mate and his dad are very good if your interested send me a pm and I can pass on their details to you. They are in Adelaide.

Top Bottom