DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Hi guys,
just thought i would introduce myself!

My names jimmy and I'm an alcoholic. oh wait, wrong forum.

(i bet you guys get that joke alot)

anyways, owned my 2000 Pearl white legnum for 4/5 months now, absolutely loving it. picked it up with the insurance payout from my e36 bmw i owned for 3 months (someone decided to pull out infront of me in a 70 zone on a wet day.... although the German tank did win, was really loving that car :( )

i've only ever owned bmw's, and the legnum has changed my views on life!

what i picked up:
2000 Legnum, pearl white, auto (ewww), enkei 17" rims, 134,000k's, pretty much stock aside from a massive front mount intercooler, boost restrictor removed, alloy golpher rad, fuel rail loop and some form of 2.5" aftermarket exhaust.

everything seems to work on it, interior is clean, body is clean and straight with minimal dings, motor runs well and pulls strong but the auto is alittle whiney in first on cold start (has reciepts for 2 rebuilds in the past, and an aftermarket cooler fitted). in saying that i bought it knowing the auto problems leggy's have, and ideally wanted a manual but i couldnt pass up on this deal!!

i needed a wagon to transport my downhill bike, and also wanted something fun. the legnum is perfect for that!

what i've done to it since ownership:
serviced it 5000k's ago (servicing again next week)
replaced non working clock with boost guage
installed alpine dual din screen
installed turbosmart dual stage boost controller (rocket switch in cabin to switch from 7psi to 11psi boost)
installed turbosmart kompact plumback BOV

currently have a rocker cover gasket set, set of denso iridium plugs, injector seal kit and throttle butterfly shaft seal kit on its way.

what i have next on the mods list:
lower it. currently its got what looks like stock suspension, pretty sure i could give some GQ patrol's a run for there money through the sand dunes.....

anyway, heres a picture of my beast, its the only one i have on my computer and is photoshopped to a height i would like it to sit at, so not how it currently sits!
legz2_zps7b529408.jpg

can't wait to get my hands dirty next week with the rocker cover gaskets :3 been waiting to pull it apart for a while!!

oh, and i couldnt resist showing off my previous pride and joy before the e36 that got written off:
1990 BMW 318i E30 converted from a 1.8lt auto to a 3.5lt straight 6 worked manual by myself at 19 years old, pretty good for a custom engine swap.
put out 139rwkw in a 1 tonne car, used to spin 1st, 2nd and 3rd running potenza re002's on the rear. thing had balls. but too much power for the rear subframe and bushes.....

here's a few pics of my old baby:
cover1.jpg

dont ask me how i got it to fit......
374374_4585894777845_1480513607_n.jpg

395079_4641361204471_304486830_n.jpg

so that's me!
signing up to this forum is the best money i have spent. it's already paid for itself with doing little repairs/electrical things!
cheers guys,
jimmy

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Welcome, Jimmy! Nice-looking car you have there! Did you privately import it or was it bought locally? If you do convert it to manual, you'll have manual and AYC -- the best of both worlds!

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
cheers guys :)
bought it from a country town in adelaide - $5200!
suprised no one snatched it earlier!
suspiciously cheap for its condition, but there doesnt seem to be too many issues and no sign of accident damage or vehicle write off history

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
cheers guys :)
bought it from a country town in adelaide - $5200!
suprised no one snatched it earlier!
suspiciously cheap for its condition, but there doesnt seem to be too many issues and no sign of accident damage or vehicle write off history

Cripes, what a bargain!

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Welcome Jimmy! Great to have ya onboard!

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
well, these motors are no where near as easy to work on as the good old straight 6 BMW motors.... haha

did all the rocker cover gaskets etc, seems to have slowed the oil leak, but i suspect its because my rocker bolt threads may be alittle worse off (didnt seem to be tight to start with, and didnt tighten up too much) or a leak from elsewhere i cant see.

also, 2 plug sockets were literally filled with oil - replaced the o-rings. and 1 was only done up half tight, the whole plug/coilpack was covered in carbon buildup, socket walls aswell... runs alot better now to say the least.

10958754_10205035872728940_766478139_n_zpskzpaepgu.jpg

also been working on a new gauge pod since my boost gauge died....
heres the progress so far via 3D printing & autodesk inventor

pod1_zpsohynba1j.jpg

pod3_zps6mubw0ej.jpg

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Holy shit yes, nice pod. <inb4massrequestsforpurchase>

The transverse v6 sure is...fun huh.

Spark plug (oil) wells are common ;) Cleaning your coilpacks helps too.

Loosish feeling rocker gasket bolts aren't supposed to be tight, recommended spec is a mere 3.5nm with sealant in the corners of the cam gear humps.
rockercover.JPG

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Cheers for that, yeah I didnt do them up tight tight, about the same as they were before, maybe alittle tighter (really wish my torque wrench went that low...) I was afraid of stripping the alloy threads. Also the gasket maker was tricky getting it in the very back cam lumps on the rear head...

Yeah thanks, pod is looking good but needs some aesthetic help on the front face to match its smooth curves! Looks abit better with the gauges in

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Like an engineer/fabricator mate once said to me: Do it up to a sensible tension for the application and make a click noise with your tongue instead :p Torque wrenches that'll reliably measure that low wouldn't be worth it I reckon.

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
Kinda unrelated, but what 3D printer are you using? Interested to get your opinion as i've been looking into these lately :)

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
I had this printed by acompany here in Adelaide, 3D Prototypes and models but I was looking at the Da Vinci 2.0 duo.
Seems to be best bang for buck, comes in under 1k and has a *decent* size print bed compared to others under 2k. Decent print speed and nozzle/resolution aswell for the price. But its no commercial printer.
Only issue is the use of their filament cartridges and not universal filament spools.
Think theyre spools are around $30 for 600grams, and this piece (240mm x 100mm x 80mm weighs like 50 grams if that due to the inside being "waffle pod“ wafer style and not solid

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
Sweet! Thanks for that, i'll have to have a look. So many little pieces i want for my Galant that are hard to find, that i could just fab up myself... :p

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Welcome Jimmy. Ha the rear plugs are always shit, they're rarely changed before coming to Aus.
Love the gauge pods mate. I'll check the size of my gauges put me down as a possible, I'll check tonight
I'm planning on my oil and water temp for that location.
You think it would be possible to fab up a twin pod to replace the A pillar? Had one for my Nissan but haven't seen an option for Our models(n)
Boost and AFR planned for A pillar

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
Yeah thanks, pod is looking good but needs some aesthetic help on the front face to match its smooth curves! Looks abit better with the gauges in
Nice pod, great effort.
Idea, couldn't you get a face plate printed up for it and glue/clip it on?

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Nice pod, great effort.
Idea, couldn't you get a face plate printed up for it and glue/clip it on?

Cheers, yeah thats what I had in mind. Make the holes larger, make the faceplate holes ID the diameter of boost gauge so the gauges attach to faceplate then that clips into the pod.

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
Hi Jimmy. Are you down Seaford way? I think I have seen your car about down here..

Top Bottom