Ralliart vs GAB vs Bilstein suspension

guanacosalsa

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Julio
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - Type S
I have Bilstein shocks on my Galant like the ones pictured (part number F4-BE3-2583-H0), not too sure of the exact springs, and the ride quality is quite stiff and firm but comfortable.
I would like to ask if anyone knows how to adjust them. I am unsure if you have to remove the shocks to relieve load and compress the springs to adjust the spring plate or can you adjust the height with load on the springs ie with them installed in the car?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I run Bilstein coilovers.

They shit all over every other combo I have experienced in a VR4 for performance, but they are rough as guts on the street where I live.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I have Bilstein shocks on my Galant like the ones pictured (part number F4-BE3-2583-H0), not too sure of the exact springs, and the ride quality is quite stiff and firm but comfortable.
I would like to ask if anyone knows how to adjust them. I am unsure if you have to remove the shocks to relieve load and compress the springs to adjust the spring plate or can you adjust the height with load on the springs ie with them installed in the car?

You have to compress springs, push up the lower spring seat and move the circlip that retains the spring seat to your desired height. I find it easiest to remove them from the car, remove the spring and then move the circlip. Tedious, but you only need to do it to set your height once. Oh yeah, don't forget a wheel alignment afterwards.

Charlie Kellaway

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
bmw
I've got the Bilsteins in my car. The ride is great for me, very firm, but not that kidney smashing hard. Feels very strong on the road. I'm not sure if my springs are different to those though.
hey mate, what bilsteins are you running in yours? bb14 or b16?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Charlie, epic thread revival mate. Paul VR4TT is no longer active on this site

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Another thread mine... does anyone know if the Ralliart shocks are able to be rebuilt and if it'd be worth it? I already own some but they went shit so I put the stockers back in but now they're dying as well and I've got more roll than a bakery :(

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
If they can't I have a set of stockers you can have came off at 32k kms, galant though not legnum dunno if that matters.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I think I've thrown some in the bin at some point. Just get mcas....

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
Just replaced my stuffed front ralliart shocks with kyb excel (kyb341141) using the ralliart Springs. Huge improvement in ride and handling, they also lowered the front by about 10mm. Great value at $65 ea.

Top Bottom