Rear Main Seal

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
hey guys. i was just wondering does anyone know if we share the rear main seal with another engine/car. eg. the 6A12, 4G72 etc. so i can grab one from repco or do i need to go through mitsi to get one

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I got mine from somewhere local but i didnt source the part so cant tell you what else shares this part sorry

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I got mine from the Mitsu near my house. It was about $50, not sure if there's much point sourcing a non-genuine part to save $10 or something

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
Yeah i know but if its the same as the 6A12 i can get that for $15 from repco

thats nearly a carton of beer in savings

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
You need someone with ASA to look up the part number MD359158 and see if its common to any other vehicle.

G

Unregistered
I got mine from the Mitsu near my house. It was about $50, not sure if there's much point sourcing a non-genuine part to save $10 or something

Not to mention the massive amount of work removing the transmission etc again if it fails.

If you could source one from Japan, they are 1,731 yen .. so about $21.50 at today's exchange rate.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Agreed, you'll no doubt get a third party one (when i get home i'll check out ASA for you unless someone gets in before me) but as didn't want to have to take the gearbox out again if it leaked, i put the genuine one in (as well as the genuine input shaft seal on the gearbox).

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
With the higher quality control standards non gen brands these days are actually quite good. Remember, Mitsu hardly make anything that's in their cars. They source them, re-package them and add 30% to the price. ACL is very good, as is permatex.
From memory they were the same as 380's....I'll need to double check though.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
of course mitsu dont make their own seals, but if they put their name, then surely the quality will be good as i dont think mitsu would source dodgy seals.

On my old magna, i found genuine seal stopped my leaking rocker cover, after trying gasmeister, acl, etc that i could get from local autopro (same was the case for the stupid cam seal near the water pump on a FWD 4g54).

Same thing for my next car - 4g63/g4cp powered y3 sonata (once again leaking rocker cover seal), the third party seal didn't fit the groove in the cover properly and leaked when the seal changed directions (ie over the cams), went to hyundai and got the genine seal, no worries after that. used the same tube of sealant for both third party and genuine seals (not the same tube for both cars :p)

As lee pointed out, MD359158 is the part number, and in ASA it appears a 4g63 (eclipse both turbo and non turbo), 4g94 and 6a12 (fto) both use the same seals. 6g7x use another seal.

Top Bottom