main rear engine seal

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys well it seems that my oil leaks just keep coming. after having the torque convertor seal replaced for the 2nd time in 2 weeks the mechanic has told me that he's spotted another leak this time he thinks it might be the rear main engine seal.

has anyone had this replaced, if so what was the cost???

cheers
dan

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dan, I did mine myself, so it was cheap:

Rear Main Engine Seal MD359158 ¥2000

So slightly under $30 at the current exchange rate. There's a good 10+ hours in it though, so not cheap to get someone else to do :(

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I'm getting my rear main seal and torque converter seal done in three weeks time at Meek Automotive. I was quoted $670 including labour.
One guy on CVR4 has got his done in Hallam, Melbourne for $550 including labour. It's the cheapest i've heard in Australia so far.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I got my rear main seal done with my torque converter seal, the part isn't much just the labour... I paid just over a grand I think ... Here's the rundown....

Recon of Torque Converter - $360.00
Flush Kit - $34
TC Seal - $11
RM Seal - $53
10Ltrs of SPIII - $50
Oil removal - $12
Labour - $532

Total - $1052.00

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
well it was notice when i had the tc seal replaced so it involves taking the gearbox out and the dust cover and replacing the seal on the engine side???

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Correct. Its about a 5" diameter seal that sits around the end of the crank that the flywheel bolts to.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
well it was notice when i had the tc seal replaced
Hang on - you've ALREADY had the TC seal replaced and they NOTICED A LEAK they thought was from the rear main, but didn't bother to ask if you'd like to replace it until they'd PUT THE CAR BACK TOGETHER?!?!?? I REALLY hope I've misread something...

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
nope, heres the story. i had the tc seal replaced 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago it started leaking again. i got the car towed back to the workshop (thank god for RACQ ultra care) they took the gear box out found a faulty seal, replaced that. put the gearbox back in degreased the underboday (the tc was leaking like a mother) and took the car for a drive to make sure it was all working. got the car back on the hoist to check for leaks and found what they thought is a leak from the rear seal. i've still got to get this confrimed by another mechanic tho.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
F-me man, that's why you do the rear main while you have the transmission out! Any mechanic worth his salt should at LEAST give you the option, for $20 you're insane not to! What a PITA... :banghead:

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes, i agree with what Trev said. When i spoke to Neal he said that while changing the clutch you'd replace the rear main seal as they commonly leak around the that and its a sinch to replace!

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
ok well thats one thing that i'll have to keep in mind now, i'm just sick of constantly having to check the driveway everytime i want to go for a drive. its really starting to make me want to sell the car as there is no joy in always thinking that the car is going to break down on me....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Absolutely dude! That's why I've spent the time and $$ on servicing everything that logically SHOULD be. Now the car's on the road I'd have absolutely no problem driving across the country at a moment's notice had I the need. That's the kind of confidence I think every owner should have in his car, but it doesn't come cheap!

Top Bottom