Rear wiper jet pump? FMIC Sprayer idea

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Hey guys, just a quick questions, is the pump for our rear wiper mounted under the hood, or in the boot somewhere?

Long story short, i've got a what i think is a great idea for a FMIC water sprayer using a secondary washer bottle(gotta find something to fit somewhere under the hood nicely) and the hose and pump from the rear wiper (ill obviously disconnect the rear wiper, as i rarely use it) that way i can use the jet spray switch on the wiper stalk to spray my intercooler with some nice water..
so yeah the jist of the question is, is the pump for the rear wiper in the front or rear of the Legnum? (i cant physically look because my car isnt here, i'm just planning it while she's gone)

Cheers, Cameron

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
I just went and had a look and couldnt see anything in the boot. im pretty sure its actually on the washer bottle itself, next to the pump for the front washers.. as there are 2 pumps on the base of the washer bottle..

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
From what I gather I think the pump is attached to the bottom of the washer bottle (those two plugs with Denso written on them) and a line runs through the drivers side cabin. Sound like a good idea in theory and may be able to look a bit more subtle.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Even easier, ill just fint the water line that runs to the firewall, chop it and whack in a male to male connector and use some irrigation hosing and sprinkler jets i can steal.. i mean, buy from work

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
The water line runs up through the guard, you can get to it easily by removing the drivers wheel and removing the guard (pay particular note of what bolt/screw comes from where as there are a couple different types)

But at that point you can get to the water bottle pretty easily so just unplug it there and run a new line.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
The water line actually runs into the drivers footwell and runs up the inside of the car for a while, whcih is why it comes up through the guard.. it's also a great place to run boost gauge/controller lines. And the opposite side is a good place for stereo power wiring.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Emmanuel did this on my car before I got it.... He didn't rewire anything though so the rear wiper came on with the spray :) there's a write up about it on here somewhere. His username was _ET_ if you are searching....

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
D40 Navara window washer pumps are like k'archer pressure sprayers, oodles of oomph in the spray. Just a thought.

G

Unregistered
just some images for image sakes
hope it helps.. ps,make sure you de-activate the rear wiper from operating when switching the sprayer on ok.. it workd awsum in the blue beast btw..

will be doing it again on wifes new vr4

Attachments

• DSCF3386.jpg
    DSCF3386.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3375.jpg
    DSCF3375.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3379.jpg
    DSCF3379.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3376.jpg
    DSCF3376.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3385.jpg
    DSCF3385.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF3378.jpg
    DSCF3378.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3377.jpg
    DSCF3377.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 88

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
did you just hit the wipers before you decided to boost?
i wanna find a way to turn it on when boost hits say 4psi.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
That'd be fairly easy to do, you could easily do it using a map sensor and you could probably do it based on maf output but poita is making a controller so have a look for that thread....

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
I tried to run 2 x irrigation misters off the factory sprayer pump and it didnt work well, there was not nearly enough pressure for a decent mist, and because my misters were mounted quite low, they would dribble continuously and syphon/drain the washer bottle. so i ended up piggybacking the 2 sprayers off my water injection pump and solenoid. (triggered at high load from haltech piggyback),, theres a extensive writeup on this forum for it.

But good luck pursuing this method, if you can find just the right low pressure mister/sprayer and position it and deal with the siphoning, you might get something to work well. just needs experimentation...

the factory washer bottle holds nearly 5 liters which is great. my IC sprayers consume about 250ml per min. (for both)

IMG_0002-2.jpg

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
I have an old digital boost gauge lying around might be able to run that though a transistor. will have a look at work today.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i beleive 380's hav misting jets on their bonnet (rather then two water stream jets like ours)

would make for a good mist and easy to buy (steal?) from the wreckers

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
380's jets were $14 from memory... comes with hoses too!

G

Unregistered
ill see if i can get some 380 jets and try it aswell on wifeys new vr,id usually stream water onto the fmic while at the lights then when it was wet enough boost off and once water cooled ,fun fun..

Top Bottom