Intercooler water sprayer - rear wiper modification

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Mike, I love the switch install in the sunglass holder! Great idea!

What do the other switches going to do? Super boost!?! :)

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Mike, I love the switch install in the sunglass holder! Great idea!

What do the other switches going to do? Super boost!?! :)

cheers

Lee

Haha yeah, i dont wear sunglasses..

They dont do anything just yet.. since the cars still in a billion pieces. The push button is the calibration and LED for the LC-1 wideband.

The other two are for the MAP2, one for seperate boost / fuel maps, the other for launch control/flat shifting. So i just poached one for now, and i'll add my spare one in the next couple of days.

G

Unregistered
haha so your dads garage is covered in water now? Nice one :)

Yes, and it was fully worth it:ROFLMAO: You want to add it to the purple one? you might be able to get 410hp;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd be semi keen, but I have to get the batteries fixed first so that when I do come around, I don't need to get jump started by the S4 :)

Also remember I don't have the windscreen jets actually hooked up to anything, my fibreglass bonnet doesn't have the jets, so I'd be able to use the main ones :D

G

Unregistered
I'd be semi keen, but I have to get the batteries fixed first so that when I do come around, I don't need to get jump started by the S4 :)

Also remember I don't have the windscreen jets actually hooked up to anything, my fibreglass bonnet doesn't have the jets, so I'd be able to use the main ones :D

haha thats even better, you could use both pumps in sync, and put something other than water in there!

Anywho, i better not hijack this thread too much more..

Plus i better finish mine before i commit to any other stuff:D

G

Unregistered
As I was/am interested in this waterspray-stuff, I started googling around and stumbled upon this very, very interesting (although long) article which I can advise anyone to read before installing anything, as there is much, much more into getting a usefull (in real life) waterspray application:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_0527/article.html?popularArticle

Yeah that was a really interesting read. TBH i just wanted to do it cause it was cheap and i was bored:)

But after reading that, i think a combo of RPM and IAT would be the best for automated spraying. That said with a switch, theres nothing to stop you turning it on a bit before you know you are going to be pushing hard.

That and something that measures the temp of the intercooler itself, not IAT alone would take care of some of the heatsink on boost/off boost issues?

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
I am pretty much convinced this is a very good solution, but it just left me wondering one thing: what is the gain one would get by using this setup. Or perhaps better said: how good is it in reducing power-loss because of (too) hot air coming out of the IC in real life?!

G

Unregistered
I am pretty much convinced this is a very good solution, but it just left me wondering one thing: what is the gain one would get by using this setup. Or perhaps better said: how good is it in reducing power-loss because of (too) hot air coming out of the IC in real life?!

I guess it depends on how close your setup is to the limits anyway? PaulC has shown a variation of over 20 degrees C in intake temps (post intercooler) http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29957&highlight=temp

So i would imagine there must be some significant effects from that. And as soon as you get into the 14psi+ range anything that helps lower temp, or at least provide some extra consistency must be a help.

The NZ dyno day a while back now showed the effects of an unshielded pod filter in the engine bay, when some of the stock setup cars out performed those with pods.

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
Yeah I read that too, and 20 degrees C sound like a lot, but what are the real life gains is what I'm looking for.

Open air/pod filters are overrated IMO. They should only be used when placed low & in front of the engine bay so they can suck up enough & cool(-est) air. Creating a shielded box in the engine bay is pretty much going back to a similar-to-stock situation (which is not that bad at all, but to create something quite similar to what's already there seems a bit silly. I wonder if someone has done dyno before/after such installs).

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Regarding the Autospeed intelligent intercooler sprayer, This looks really clever.

Naturally it could be used on any intercooler, but considering the limits of a stock pair of TD03s I wouldnt be suprised if this kit on the OEM cooler could actually make a better proposition than an upgraded intercooler, taking into account cost, retention of throttle response, and cooling efficiency.

TD03s at their effficiency limit (say 1 Bar) arent going to be flowing a great deal of air, but will be working hard , so our main goal with increased boost on the stock turbos is trying to cool a relatively modest volume intake charge, with minimal pressure loss.

Now, generally, the bigger the intercooler, the bigger the pressure drop through it, ie with a big intercooler and piping you may need the turbos pushing 16 PSI to see 14 psi at the inlet manifold, fine if your big turbo can push vast amounts of air, but with TD03s, we dont have a lot of boost to waste in pressure losses.)

Also , in theory any intercooler larger (internal volume) than stock will actually reduce your peformance, (throttle response) under most conditions, ie anytime apart from concurrent high boost / high ambient temperature conditions, where the stock intercooler wasnt up to the task. (Because youve effectively increased the intake tract length) Is this a tradeoff we should have to suffer?

Im proposing that Given the OEM tube and fin units should flow fairly well (being a tube and fin) just improving its cooling efficiency 'on demand' with this smart sprayer (run off the existing washer bottle) may work really well, considering the TD03s capacity limitations, and in fact provide a cheaper, and better OVERALL peformance gain, as there will be no loss of off boost throttle response if the stock intercooler is maintained, and potentially less pressure drop than a big intercooler.

And the stock intercooler is lighter than anything else you will replace it with...

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Also if you trawl the posts here and on clubvr4 you do find owners complaining about reduced throttle respose on their VR4 after upgrading their pipework and intercooler, so my impression is its not a trivial consideration when looking at intercooling on our cars, if you want to maintain responsiveness

Top Bottom