SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
From Mitsubishi Service Bulletin MSB-98E54-501:

Battery Type: 75D23L
Capacity (5HR) Ah: 52
Reserve Capacity Min: 118
CCA (at -18°C): 520

So according to Mitsubishi, you should have a sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery with 520 CCAs, so that's your benchmark.

G

Unregistered
looks like the Optima YellowTop D51R is a little under rated..
Yea if it was a nomal battery but its deep cycle so it can take a floging.
I've been told they can last 5-8 years, I'll be happy if mine lasts 4+ years.

Some of the jap ones that come through are under 300CCA, and work fine just don't last as long. If you add a sound system/amp..... then its a different story for the small ones.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if my battery craps itself after i do the belts and clutch.. ill still get the optima D51R, it seems just right for the car..

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
***WARNING*** Thread Mine!!! LOL

Hi All, reviving the thread.

It is time for me replace my Jap Battery as I have not done since I got the car.

I am planning to relocate the battery to the boot but I decided not to for now. So I am looking for those slim batteries that most Evo guys have (half the size of normal battery), does anyone know where I could get one preferably Sydney Metro?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
If you get a dry cell or something like that it will prep you for the relocation (You won't have to change batteries if you do it).

I know auto electricians here have them and also battery world but I don't know about everywhere else sorry bro :(

G

Unregistered
My OPTIMA died didn't even last a full 2 years!!! I have never had any troubles with it but the other afternoon went to start it... nothing! Had it all check out, my alternator is good, defiantly the battery is stuffed. I'm hoping to get a replacement but I thinks its only a 1 year warranty.

So for now I've gone for a bigger sized one and its a calcium one this time not a normal lead acid, or deep cyle.

DSC_27172.jpg

DSC_27182.jpg

fubar

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Nathan
Drive
Galant VR4, 4Runner, Jaguar MkII, Jaguar XJR
Didn't get to claim on the 3 year Warranty, 8years and 7months later, the battery appears to have dropped a cell.

Tonight car started no problems, drove 2km to the local shopping centre, 10mins later nothing, jump started it, she got it home, turned it off & it restarted fine again.

I went out with a multi-meter (2 hours later) 10.2V, so I jump started it again, no problems with the charging system 14.6V.

More than 8.5 years from a battery, is a pretty good reason to endorse the Optima, considering that we get plenty of -10°C mornings, it does 1.1km to work and then 8 hours later it does the 1.1km home, I wouldn't say that it gets a decent charge in 1.1km's.

So she has just happily ordered another YellowTop.

Top Bottom