Renz aka Lorenzo // Sydney - NSW

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
Just wanted to say hi. Been reading the forum for a while now, but is my first post. I have always wanted an Evo but with the arrival of my son 2 years ago and another on the way, a wagon seemed to be a more appropriate choice. Hence I'm in the market for a Legnum. I've been trying to figure out how to pick a 191kw type S auto from a 206kw type S auto. Been looking through the forum but cannot find the answer. I'm not exactly sure where to post the question either. ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Easiest way is (usually) 1 front fog light on 191kw (series 1 1996-98) , 2 on 206kw (series 2 1998-2002) also flared guards on series 2 type S ( no flares on type v).

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I say, attend a meet. You learn new stuff there ALL the time :)

Welcome to the club too!

Where in NSW you from man?

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
Thanks, I'm at Baulkham Hills in Sydney.

So is it fair to say that all series 1's are 191kw?

I actually just came back from inspecting a 1997 Type S auto, but the owner swears it's the 206kw model. That's why I'm unsure. It will not stop be from buying it, but it would be handy to know just what power output it actually has.
The vehicle is in excellent condition with 52k on the clock and barring any unforseen circumstances, I should be it's new owner come Monday.

PS: I was always under the impression that certain letters/numbers within the vin-chassis number would tell you exactly what model and features the car has. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Also don't use Dawso's as examples as he's got special cars that both have series 2 fronts

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Its a series 1, 191kw.

Type - S and Type - V didn't exist for series 1's either.

All 1996 to mid 1998 auto VR4's were 191kw. All manuals were 206kw. Mitsi de-tuned the auto because they broke gearboxes, only to realise, it was just a shit gearbox not too much power haha

And most NSW meets are in Sydney so i'm sure you'll end up at one soon :)

Make sure you get some pics up of your ride! :D

Also don't use Dawso's as examples as he's got special cars that both have series 2 fronts

Oh yeah, what he said lol. Thanks Dave

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
Thanks for the heads up Dawso. Not too fussed that it turns out it's the 191kw version. I was still very impressed with how hard it went. It's not going to be used for anything stupid, like street racing, but will be my daily commuter and a family runabout with bikes and prams in the back on weekends.

Having said that, I'll probably get the tuning bug eventually and start tinkering :)

Will put pics up as soon as it's in my possession.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just buy it and put the boost up to about 14psi . You'll get 225kw and about 430nm of torque for $80 or so.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Hey Lorenzo, welcome to OZVR4 :)

For your info, here's a pic of a pre-facelift vs a facelift so you know a 191kw auto from a 206kw auto:

Pre-Facelift:
attachment.php

Facelift:
leg3copy.jpg

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just buy it and put the boost up to about 14psi . You'll get 225kw and about 430nm of torque for $80 or so.

Beat me to it haha

Renz, basically they de-tuned by lowering the boost :)

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Welcome aboard Renz. Good to see you on the road at the next meet.... I think the next meet is late may... On a Wednesday if you're available with one of our Tasmanian Brothers.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Hi Renz, welcome to the group

Keep an eye out for NSW events, there generally something on every month or so.

Hope all goes to plan and you join the ranks as a Leggie owner.

Cheers
Kat

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
Thanks for all the welcomes and tips.

Confirmed the sale with the guy today, so all I gotta do is get the money from the bank tomorrow and drive it home in the afternoon. I can't wait. I've been looking forward to this day for nearly 6 months. That's how long it took me to sell my old 911T on car sales and then track a nice Leg down.

Dawso, you answered my next question. I was under the impression that Mitsu used a different ecu in the 191kw versions to detune it and thought I might have to get the FL ecu to get back the power loss.

Hey Brad, you mention to up the boost for $80, I'm not much of a mechanic myself but was looking at getting a Turbotech MBC and a boost guage as one of my first mods. Am I on the right track? I've been reading these pages almost non stop for the last 2 days and the tuning bug has already bitten me and I haven't even picked her up yet :)

Wayne & Kat...I'd love to go. Whereabouts is that meet in May? You say Wednesday...Is it during the day or evening? I work 9-5, so will be hard to make it if daytime.

Cheers.
Renz.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Renz,

Following Links will take you to NSW Events planned for May, just keep an eye on the NSW Thread in the Region Specific Forums...

Mini Meet with Tasmanian Member (minik1971) 20th May going to WSID for a night at the Drags
http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98227#post98227

MCA Wakefield Park Trackday on 26th of May (Tuesday)
http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5672,

Then we have a Trackday at Taree on Queens Birthday Weekend
http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5359

And then the party animal weekend Snow Trip in Late August
http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5316

Nothing planned for July, but perhaps a cruise in early July maybe organised.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Ah, so that's how much we're getting at the fly if we boost it up.
Nice one Brad, always wondered.

Welcome to the club, Renz.

Your best bet is to test drive one at a dealer (just test drive, not buy :ROFLMAO:).

Both cars go hard.
Personally, i'd chose a manual pre-facelift (series one) over an auto facelift series two.
But if it's an auto you want, chose a facelift series two as these look a bit more modern with their exterior and interior updates and in stock form, as you know, go a bit harder than the auto pre-facelift series one autos.

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
What a bummer. The guy I'm buying it from, got called in to do a night shift, so now I can't pick it up till tomorrow. Oh well, another sleepless night, I guess.

Thanks for all the links, Kat. I will definately be at the meet on Wed 20th May.

Hey Dimi. You're spot on. I would've got a manual, but the cheaper price and not wanting to wait, dictated I get the auto.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Damn.... Oh well

Make sure you get some pics when you get it! :D

Renz

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lorenzo Bolanca
Drive
White 1997 Type S Legnum
Well I just picked I'm my Leggy and was ecstatic for a whole 3 mins until the engine warning light and the TCL light came on steady. Now I'm depressed. God knows how much this is going to cost me :(

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Well I just picked I'm my Leggy and was ecstatic for a whole 3 mins until the engine warning light and the TCL light came on steady. Now I'm depressed. God knows how much this is going to cost me :(

Mate dont stress;) that is nothing to be concerned about, it means that your car will self destruct in 5-4-3-2..... Just kidding:D But seriously, it is usually just a sign that you may have a crack in your charcoal canister. A lot of people, including myself, have this happen. Just ignore it for the time being and enjoy your new ride!!

Top Bottom