Rex Everything aka Andrew // SA

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Hi everyone,

Just bought a 1997 Manual Legnum through Iron Chef and I'm pretty keen to hit the ground running when it gets here. I have been preparing to buy a car for four years now and overall this one ticked many of the boxes that I had in mind.

My Name: Has nothing to do with WRX's so don't look at me funny. It's the same name that I use on other forums. I stole it off Nick Oliveri from Kyuss/QOTSA fame.

About me:

I'm in the very final weeks of finishing a degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Adelaide. Buying myself nice a car has always been my promise of a graduation present since I started, so I have been diligently saving for awhile now so I can get what I want and do what I want to it.

My current drive is a 1990 Camry station wagon in a faded baby blue that makes the girls go wild. I already know three people that own Legums so I'll save the really stupid questions for them.

I think that's about enough for now. I will keep this thread updated with any planned work and specific questions I have for when the car finally arrives. Been looking around the forums for a few days now and you guys seem helpful and friendly so I would love to get some opinions off you when the time comes.

Cheers

Rex, Andrew or Ozzie

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Time for some photos and questions.

Firstly the run down from chef:

1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S low kms manual with sunroof - SOLD
6A13TT 2.5 litre twin turbo V6
5 speed manual
41,000 (with service history)
White
Aftermarket alloy wheels (16” average ones)
Factory sunroof
Factory option cargo cover
Factory roof rails and privacy glass
Aftermarket Navi/TV
Auction grade 4B

First thing to go will be the wheels:
frontd.jpg

Secondly I hope to get rid of the wood grain, I'll be patient and wait for some decent carbon parts to come up:

console.jpg

I'm assuming this is the GPS and Navi that will get nicked. I can also see a sub that looks factory, can anybody fill me in on this? What specs came with that factory stereo etc?:

boot1.jpg

Damage:

On the 'Valance' panel. Any pro tips for fixing this?

wingcrack.jpg

Initial plans other than servicing and cleaning include Work Cr-Kai's, tinting the front windows and replacing the wood grain.

Pity I will only get to drive it 5 times a fortnight.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'll have a spare one of those shortly (In white and everything :)) so i'd be happy to sell it to you.... Maybe $100 plus postage?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I doubt that the Sub is factory as I've never seen one in that position before also it seems to be very close to the AYC fluid refill point. And I don't think that the original designers would almost cover it up like that.

G

Unregistered
I doubt that the Sub is factory as I've never seen one in that position before also it seems to be very close to the AYC fluid refill point. And I don't think that the original designers would almost cover it up like that.

That sub was an option.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Welcome mate!

Great buy that, 41k with history! Holy crap, it hasn't even hit puberty yet!
I love the plans you have for it, should look sweet.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Andrew, your CR KAIs are ready for delivery whenever you want them ;)

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Sweet, I'll drop you an e-mail this arvo. Delivery sounds a bit excessive for a 2k drive, assuming they are still at your house Kristian?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Wow, neat little place to put a sub too. +1 Mitsi

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Got the phone call yesterday. It's complied and ready to pick up!!! Only problem is that I'm not in Adelaide to pick it up till next Friday :thumbdown:

So as I sit behind behind my desk at work this week I need to orginise a few things.

Tyres - I'm borrowing some stockies to get around on but I want to get some tyres on the CR-Kais ASAP. I'm not sure weather to go 225/40/R18 or 235/40/R18 on the 8.5s. It's currently at stock height but I will lower it soon so it looks the goods. What are the pros/cons of the two widths?

Anyone aware of any good deals going at the moment or recommend a good tyre shop in S.A (I'm going to call a few places from the SA thread)? I also need to get my guards rolled somewhere. Can any decent tyre shop do it or should I get it done somewhere else?

Probably going to go Shannons for insurance.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
For tyres, I've used both Wheelworx and Adelaide Tyre Power. With ATP make sure you speak with Troy, not Terry (his dad). Both have good/bad points, much of a muchness with either but still way better than your average bob jane or bea-repairs.

For guard rolling, I think Wheelworx is the go. They rolled the guards on my legnum seamlessly, and also did the guard work for steveP.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What are the offsets on the wheels? I'd go with 235's myself, they will look fatter and better :) The guys that like stretched tyres will be screaming no, but you will get a bit more sidewall too to help cushion bumps and to fill out the guards a bit more.

While 235/40/18 is quite a bit bigger than stock it tends to actually make the speedo more accurate, a car on stock tyres will normally be around 96kmh actual speed at 100kmh shown, but on the larger tyres you will be much closer.

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Offset is +30, so filling out the guards with a wider tyre isn't going to be an issue from what I've read.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
225 for sure. 235/40 is too much tyre. I'm changing down to a 225 on my 9s next time around.

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Here are my options for tyres:

in 225/40/18

KU36s: $997
KU31s: $849
Federal 595s: $685

Any reports on the Federal 595? A better tyre than the KU31 according to someone I spoke to, as they don't get as noisy with wear apparently. They are the cheaper option too. KU36s are enticing but too much cash for a shorter life, but I'm still deciding.

Any info would be helpful.

Cheers Rex

Top Bottom