router settings help

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
hey it guys,

we recently got a new router and modem from bigpond cause our net wasnt working. its now all plugged in and the 1 desktop thats connected by cable cannocts to the internet but all of the laptops only connect to the wireless network, but wont load any web sites.

bigpond was useless, they told me that their responsibility only extends to getting the internet set up and because its working on one computer its not their problem. they gave me the number for their other people who set things up who were even worse and want 180 to set it up or 100 to do it over the phone.

i was wondering if anyone can save my parents the hassles and cost of this in terms of settings for the router. ive got the password etc set up just no web pages loading.

can i plug in the old router, access the settings and then just copy them all accross to the new one?

ive got nfi when it comes to this stuff cheers for any help

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
You cannot copy settings. You can always connect to a Wireless network with the wrong password but it will have limited/slow connectivity message in windows.

Check your password and make sure it is correct, then check that the password protocol (WEP/WPA) is the same for both the router and PC trying to connect.

If there is still an issue you will have to play with DHCP settings. Make sure it is enabled and PNP is ticked.

If there are further problems, it sounds like your IP/MAC Filtering is enabled, but if you didn't enable it, i wouldn't think it would be from default.

Check all that stuff closely, don't just read two letters and assume it is the same thing.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I get this alot with my laptop, whether at home or at worksites.

What version(s) of Windows are you running?

I would have to refresh my IP settings for the internet part to work.

It would always connect to the wireless network, but now & then I would have no net connectivity until I refreshed the IP address.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
k im in wireless settings through the 192.168.0.1 thing

password is set up with WPA-PSK and is the same on the laptop connecting. as i said, connecting to the wireless network just not the internet.

its ticked for dhcp serverand UPnP is turned on. theres nothing ticked or written in the Mac or IP address boxes.

the LAN IP settings are:

LAN IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Yes
Starting IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Ending IP Address: 192.168.0.254

if any of that stuff helps...

all computers are running vista.

thanks for the help guys

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Try this mate;

1. Press "Windows" button.
  2. Type "CMD" Enter.
  3. Select "Continue" on the "User Account Control" Window
  4. Run ipconfig /renew as normal and it should release and renew IP address.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
EDIT: Wow... while I was typing the thread changed so much... *hangs head in shame* From the sounds of it... I am leaning towards modem is bridged or NAT issue

What modem? make and model please.

Out of the box, bigpond usually use a speedtouch which doesn't have MAC address filtering as default. I mean, how could you set it up, they wouldn't know your machines MAC address during production; rendering the box useless to any machine its plugged into.

After working and managing a helpdesk environment for more then 3 years, I can say with confidence the first step is gathering as much info about your issue as possible.

Has this ever worked before in this exact setup?

-Modem detail (make/model)

-OS? (Windows/Linux) and what version/build

-Has anything changed recently apart from the new modem. Is this a replacement or completely different?

-Are you getting a valid IP address (on the computer, press Windows+R, type "cmd" and press enter; type "ipconfig" press enter. What is the IPv4 address you are getting?)
note: if you are getting 169.254.xxx.xxx this is self assigned which means the computer isn't talking correctly with the wireless router/modem.

-What encryption are you using; WEP/WPA/WPA2/None

-What channel are you using for wireless? (hint, 6 and 11 usually give best results unless you have a mac then I suggest 13 or 9)

Something that I come across alot with bigpond is they will not have NAT turned on in the modem; this means depending on your connection type, it may not allow multiple computers access to the internet. At least thats the BS the telstra helpdesk feeds customers (God I hated hearing that as another technical person when I would call telstra on the customers behalf and brief the telstra agent on the issue before passing on the call). Ensure NAT is turned on; explained basically, it will ensure the internet gets to all devices connected to that modem/router.

-Is this happening to all wireless devices or just this one? i.e. if you have a iphone or another laptop is it working?

-Ensure the modem is not setup in a "bridge" mode which means the username and password will be setup on the primary computer. I have seen telstra do this alot. Ensure you have the Modem setup with the username/password entered, this will ensure NAT takes care of the rest.

These are only what springs to my mind at a seconds thought... sorry to bombard you with questions/info.

If you can provide as much detail as possible it would be a great help for us to assist you further.

:)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Vid for you if you're unsure of what to do;

You could also try fixing your IP for the wireless adaptor in your machine & see if that makes any difference.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
EDIT: Wow... while I was typing the thread changed so much... *hangs head in shame* From the sounds of it... I am leaning towards modem is bridged or NAT issue

What modem? make and model please.

Motorola SB4200 surfboard cable modemrouter is: netgear wireless cable modem gateway CG814WG v3 and definitely new
old one is netgear 54mbps wireless router WGR614 v5

Out of the box, bigpond usually use a speedtouch which doesn't have MAC address filtering as default. I mean, how could you set it up, they wouldn't know your machines MAC address during production; rendering the box useless to any machine its plugged into.

After working and managing a helpdesk environment for more then 3 years, I can say with confidence the first step is gathering as much info about your issue as possible.

Has this ever worked before in this exact setup?

our internet hasnt had a problem for years but then stopped working altogether. new modem (although upon looking at it it loks the same as the old one and not all that new) and new router. internet works fine on the desktop plugged directly to the router but on none of the laptops (pcs and mac)

-OS? (Windows/Linux) and what version/build

windows vista all round

-Has anything changed recently apart from the new modem. Is this a replacement or completely different?

once again im starting to think that only the router was changed

-Are you getting a valid IP address (on the computer, press Windows+R, type "cmd" and press enter; type "ipconfig" press enter. What is the IPv4 address you are getting?)
note: if you are getting 169.254.xxx.xxx this is self assigned which means the computer isn't talking correctly with the wireless router/modem.

IPv4 address is: 121.209.84.133 on the desktop. my laptop (connected via wireless to the network but no internet) doesnt get an IPv4 address

-What encryption are you using; WEP/WPA/WPA2/None

WPA-PSK

-What channel are you using for wireless? (hint, 6 and 11 usually give best results unless you have a mac then I suggest 13 or 9)

Something that I come across alot with bigpond is they will not have NAT turned on in the modem; this means depending on your connection type, it may not allow multiple computers access to the internet. At least thats the BS the telstra helpdesk feeds customers (God I hated hearing that as another technical person when I would call telstra on the customers behalf and brief the telstra agent on the issue before passing on the call). Ensure NAT is turned on; explained basically, it will ensure the internet gets to all devices connected to that modem/router.

where/how do i turn NAT on?

-Is this happening to all wireless devices or just this one? i.e. if you have a iphone or another laptop is it working?

not working on 3 laptops, xbox or 2 macs

-Ensure the modem is not setup in a "bridge" mode which means the username and password will be setup on the primary computer. I have seen telstra do this alot. Ensure you have the Modem setup with the username/password entered, this will ensure NAT takes care of the rest.

once again, no idea where to find this

These are only what springs to my mind at a seconds thought... sorry to bombard you with questions/info.

If you can provide as much detail as possible it would be a great help for us to assist you further.

:)

so yeh i think modem is the old one but new router. internet working bt only on1computer plugged directly into router. if others are plugged in, they dont work. wireless is connecting to the network and i can access router settings but will not load any pages.

thanks for all the help! haha i knew we had some it gurus on here

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
So you got it figured out?

It sounds to me like the modem is in bridge mode and you have the PPP settings (aka username and password) in the primary computer. Telstra love setting it up this way for some ghey reason.

If it is working now congrats! if not; try to find the modem model and I'll take a look at a manual online to walk you through how it should be setup.... correctly.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
sorry guys yeh tried those things as best i could but as i say, couldnt figure out how to access NAT or bridge mode settings. still not working,

modem and router models are in my previous post. i was answering your questions in the quote section

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Sorry mate, didn't even see you answered my questions.

Well from looking over the manual... (which is by far the worst I have ever seen)...

Try this...

1) turn both the cable modem off and the wireless router (ensure the cable modem has everything pulled out, including the coaxial cable)

2) plug the desktop computer directly into the wireless router (not into the cable modem)

3) plug the cable modem (surfboard) directly into the "WAN" or "Internet" port on the wireless router (netgear); so this should be the only device plugged into the surfboard.

4) wait about 5-10 mins as most; cable modems are MAC address locked for a certain refresh time. 10 mins should be enough for the refresh, thus enabling another device to be plugged in.

So at this point it should look something like this:

Surfboard/modem ---- Netgear Router ---- DesktopPC (and the other devices are wireless)

note: "----" is your blue/yellow ethernet/networking cable.

5) turn on the netgear router, wait a few seconds then the cable modem.

6) give this 30-40 seconds, then head over and restart your Desktop PC then see if internet is working for you. If yes, attempt to connect with one of the wireless devices.

Best of luck mate!

Top Bottom