S1-Front Bumper Air Duct Transmission Cooler

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
After 4 weeks of waiting my custom A/T cooler arrived.... wahoo 350x110x50 core size

DSCF5156.jpg

I'll throw some pic up once installed, just waiting on some Parker-10mm threeway SS mini ball valves to arrive so I can incorporate A/T oil flush system inline with this (sick of the hassle of A/T oil flushes with ripping pipes off & adding hoses - its a pain) now all I'll have to do is turn 3valves off/on and position containers appropriately.....EASY

G

Unregistered
That looks good. Will it be fitted behind the foglight

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Peter,

It should fit snuggly between the bottom of foglight and the bottom edge of the front bar, the induction pod sits just behind the air intake slot in the bottom of bumper(still need to source SS grill to stop rock strikes). There is also a 175mm thermo fan and cowling that fits on the back of cooler.

G

Unregistered
looks cool, bit small maybe???

just be warned, i had a trans cooler in a similar position (but higher up),
got ripped of in a accident, its a very vulnerable area,
it pumped out a liter of atf or so before i stopped the motor.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Thanks for the heads up Carsten, most of the mount brackets are thermo plastic (the only steel one is attached to foglight/frontbar mount) so I'm hopeful there will be a bit of give if the worst happens. "touch wood". Time will tell whether its big enough it was designed for the available space, but I'm hopeful.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Including flush system & remote A/T gearbox filter hardware about $550

G

Unregistered
wow thats alot of coin!

so is this kit specifically designed for the prefacelifts?

any particaular reason for the remote filter?? (its not that hard to get to, and its quite safe where it is)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LOL, if only it was a kit, but I suppose if it works well there is a possibility.

The Series 1 A/T Gearbox filter is a pain in the arse, hard to get to and messy because its upside down sitting on top of gearbox, the remote will be up in the left hand void attached high on subframe behind the cooler with flush valves directly beside that, you'll see the method of my madness once its installed (all going to plan this weekend as long as valves arrive on time)

I change my filter and flush the Transmission every 4-5K.... overkill maybe. but looking for transmission longevity.

G

Unregistered
What do you plan to do with the mount for the original filter . It would be easier for custom pipe work with it removed

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Remote body screws on where the original filter is located, ports off that will feed the re-located filter, I don't have the units yet as there coming with valves from pirtek, otherwise I'd throw up a pic, hopefully on Thursday......

Edit: found email with pictures of remote assemblies

relocationremote.png

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
I have been thinking of doing a similar thing on my S2, as I have a few filter relocation bits at home, dash 6 braided line and Speedflow fittings to suit.

Couple of questions:
What size oil line are you thinking of using?
Are you going to have the tranny cooler in this loop?
What filter are you planning on using (was thinking the Trasko filter would be good).
Are you using valves or taps to allow flushing?

A thumbnail sketch would be handy.......

Keep us posted on how it goes...................

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Couple of questions:
What size oil line are you thinking of using?
Are you going to have the tranny cooler in this loop?
What filter are you planning on using (was thinking the Trasko filter would be good).
Are you using valves or taps to allow flushing?

A thumbnail sketch would be handy.......

10mm SS Lines
Transmission cooler is in the loop as per PDF attached.
The remote is designed for a Z142A filter (Ryco)
Yes 2x 3way 10mm SS Parker valves are for transmission flushing.

Pictures below are from test fit of cooler in place!!! Still waiting on valves to arrive..................
DSCF5193.jpg

Test fitted A/T cooler and brackets, fitment was great, other than some of the brackets were referenced from the wrong side of cooler so they were 50mm out... 3 will have to be re-made...
DSCF5183.jpg

Attachments

• Cooler Diagram.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 11

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
hmm can you get those brackets easily and do they just bolt on? would that be a good spot for a cold air feed..

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Josh, they're purpose made, to use existing mount points on car.
I would personally use the area on inboard side of fog lights, there is quite a bit of free space there, that gets almost unrestricted airflow.

Top Bottom