Selling a car to an interstate buyer - what process?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'm in Victoria, and I've got someone from SA interested in buying my wife's old Kizashi.

I've checked the VicRoads website and I can't really find a definitive answer to the question:
"Do I need a roadworthy to sell the car if it won't be registered in Victoria?"

Common sense tells me that the buyer wouldn't want to be driving an unregistered vehicle from Victoria to SA, and therefore he would want to transfer the Victorian registration into his name (requiring a roadworthy) even if it was only for a short time... but who has common sense these days?

Can anyone advise me on this?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
I had a cop from SA buy my holden v8 adventura about 4 years ago. No Road worthy was needed. He needed to get his Road worthy in SA to reg it

If you got a road worthy. I don't think it's valid over in SA. So my buyer drove back unregistered with no plates, he made his own arrangements so it was insured and regod as far as he was concerned. I think we signed Vic roads transfer papers from memory. I could probably dig up more info bout how it all went down if you want. Maybe someone else here can enlighten you more though

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Yeah it sounds like we can sell it unregistered and the buyer can deal with getting it home.

My concern about the registration transfer is that it's the buyer's job to hand in all the paperwork; the seller just signs it. So if the buyer never hands it in, and something happens like a speeding ticket, the seller is still liable... how do people get around this?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
get all the money first or a big deposit before you unregistered it otherwise you'll have a pain in your ass getting it regoed if they back out

yeah having the buying take care of the paper work sucks, i've had idiot friends that have bought cars and not transferred for fkn ages and it shits me.

you keep a copy of the receipt and the vicroads paperwork you'd be filling out for the transfer as evidence that the vehicle is sold. also make a letter of sale that is signed and dated explaining who you guys are, who the seller who is the buyer, addresses, phone numbers, rego, vin number etc and that it is sold as is for whatever amount (that way nobody can bullshit transfer tax or anything) (even do this for the unregistered sale to cover your ass)

if the buyer wont sign a letter of sale (tell them firstly this is part of the deal) they shouldnt be buying the car then and are sketchy

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
no, no rwc.

just get a receipt with all the relevant details and thats it.

if you want to be extra cautious, you can cancel the reg and buy an unreg permit (may only apply in vic though).

whatever state the car will be regged in will have to go through their requirements so it will need a rwc (or whatever they call it) from that state.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Buyer has to organise their own unreg. permit and insewerants to drive it home. You de-register it before they pickup

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Yeah, I bought my Disco from a dealer in Victoria.
He rang up Vicroads and cancelled the rego, got me an interstate transfer permit then within a week I had to get a NSW blueslip for rego.
It was effectively bought unregistered.

Ask Mel who bought my Legnum from me, she took it back to Victoria.
I believe you can either cancel the rego yourself and get some $$ back and the buy can organise a unregistered permit,
Or you can sell it registered, they can drive it back and get your rego money back to put towards their new rego.
Buying interstate is effectively buying a new car.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Or you can sell it registered, they can drive it back and get your rego money back to put towards their new rego.

I hadn't seen any reference to this anywhere, and I was wondering what would happen to the unused VIC rego when the car got to SA. I thought it would just be wasted money.

Anyway thanks for the information everyone. Hopefully the guy will want the car and be happy to jump through the necessary administrative hoops.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I hadn't seen any reference to this anywhere, and I was wondering what would happen to the unused VIC rego when the car got to SA. I thought it would just be wasted money.

Anyway thanks for the information everyone. Hopefully the guy will want the car and be happy to jump through the necessary administrative hoops.
That is correct, if it still has rego on it when they change it over to their state your plates will be cancelled and rego returned. That said it isn't pro rata so don't expect much back!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
That being said, every state is different,

NSW still has separate Greenslips, where as I think some states now integrate it In Your rego fees.

Best bet is to pop into your local roads branch (if you have 2 hours to spare if you're in NSW- RMS has the worst wait times) and ask the questions

Top Bottom