Shifter Link Bracket

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Gear Shifter Linkage Bracket (or whatever you call it)

here's a pic from Caps
shifterlinkbracket.jpg

here are some pictures from my car..
Photo0205.jpg

Photo0206.jpg

Photo0207.jpg

2 metals are held together by rubbers.. kinda works like a dampener so its not so stiff/metal like feeling when you change gear..

as you can see above, mine have gone off.. and BIG THANKS to Lee a couple of weeks ago for helping me..

what i've done was drilled through the metal and put through 2 bolts and lock nuts on each part of the bracket.. I made it this way so at least the gear shift cable can still have a bit of play.. see pictures below to get a better idea..

Photo0208.jpg

Photo0209.jpg

to manual transmission owners out there.. i'd recommend for you guys to check yours.. luckily the rubbers on mine snapped when i was just driving slow.. kinda dangerous if it happens on the highway..

G

Unregistered
what happens if this thing is bad? is it hard to put in gears then?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Sorry lots of questions here!

Are there just the two cable holders to deal with? And whereabouts is this located on the car? Do you have to put the car on a lift to access it? And if you make the joints too rigid what happens to the shift action?

G

Unregistered
Could you take a a better pciture where you find this bracket , want to check mine also

G

Unregistered
im faily sure its under the stock airbox, i could be wrong but im 90% sure.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
yup it is under the intake piping and box.. there are 2 bolts that you'll have to remove.. but before that, you'll have to unclip the cables from the bracket itself..

its kinda scary if and when you come across this issue.. cause it'll happen when you change gears..

if the bottom part comes off, you wont have any up and down movements..

and as obvious, if the top one comes off you won't have much sideways action..

G

Unregistered
checked mine today was stiff only could move it a little bit.

is that okay?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
that should be ok.. just check for cracks.. see if you can move it forward and backwards.. cause that's what it does..

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
*Zzzzap* goes the defibrillator...

Had this same issue with mine, lucky had access to a spare bracket. I'll be trying to fix the old set with some Wurth KD Bond & Seal, comes in tubes kinda like silicone. I used this shit to hang ACP panels on multi-story buildings. It's f$cking strong. No need for drilling and bolts and nyloc nuts.

Will update and let you all know how I go in the near future.

low+vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 VR4 Legnum MT
Any update on this? I'm going to check my bracket tonight as i can barely get my car into 2nd gear currently.

Top Bottom