Shiny new Legnum owner

G

Unregistered
I'm the one that's shiny new - the car is pretty damn grubby.
I finally took delivery of the Legnum I've been waiting ages for.

Some observations:
  • It's dirty as hell - the pollution in Japan must be something special, because this pearl white car is covered with dirty black soot stains that don't wash off, but do polish off.
  • Interior is very tidy, apart from the odd cigarette burn, and heaps of adhesive marks over the dashboard etc. Previous owner must have been a bit manic about gadgets.
  • Stoopid Japanese stereo is set up for 70 - 90MHz, which means I can only tune a solitary Canberra dance music station. It's a double DIN, with a mini disc in the secondary, so I'll just get rid of it.
  • The clutch is being a complete a$$. Slips like a maniac if you try to nurse it, but grabs and holds if you let it rev (and rev hard). I've had advice that the splines can freeze up after several years of sitting idle, and should free up after a bit of driving, but I've done almost 200km with no noticeable improvement. I might have to bite the bullet and get a replacement in.
  • Lifters are pretty noisy. It was serviced when in compliance, but I doubt they did clearances so I'd better look into that.
  • There's oil leaking onto something hot. I can't see a thing in that engine bay (they really did cram it in there), but suspect it'll be an oil filter or pressure switch or something.
  • Both front struts are leaking - they're still performing well but I doubt they'll last much longer.
Aside from these small irrits, I'm bloody pleased with the car. The handling is just amazing, it's really pretty (for a wagon) and when the clutch is holding, it really loves to sprint.
I'm about to move from Canberra to Bega, but Au based VR4 owners fancy taking on Imlay Road or Brown Mountain, just let me know.

Cheers,
Jimbo

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
G'day Jimbo and welcome to the site. Be sure to put some pics up when you get some.

I am probably the closest to you (when you move to Bega) and Paul (VR-04-TT) has family in Bega so he is down that way a bit.

I am a fan of Browns Mountain, the whole road from the Bay to Braidwood is good fun.

Enjoy the site :D

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Congrats on your new arrival, may she brings you many years of enjoyment....are you married?? Decide now which one you'll spend more time with.... and then tell the wife its not personal

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Brown Mtn

Hey Brown Mtn is one of the all time great drives as well as the Clyde love both of them even the trip down to Cairn river is awesome for some high speed stuff just what you need in a leggie with some fire power.
Long straights, sweeping curves, views for ever so you can see the cops coming miles ahead hmmmmmmmm.
Can we organise a cruise up there folks??
Welcome and congrats on the car yours and mine must of been on the same ship I reckon Mine has the same oil escrament as well.
With the oil dripping I would start looking on the forums here. There are some common issues such as Torque converter seals and stuff that may help you locate the problem before it comes too much of an issue.
Good luck and looking forward to some pics!;)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Bega's a great place! My sis lives in Narooma :D

Beau (aka Griggs) from Bega Muffler Centre is going to do all the work to my VR4 when I'm cashed up enough. So when I'm down that way I'm more than happy to catch up mate!! :D

G

Unregistered
Eeep!

A ban!? Eeep! My wife took the car to Bega yesterday, and I won't be there until tomorrow night! *grins*
Okay, call off the dogs - let me sate you with one of the 200 odd pics I got from J-Spec prior to sale:

Front%20Drivers%20side.jpg

When I get it detailed, I'll post up something purtier.
A run around the mountain sounds just the thing lads, but it'll have to wait a few weeks now - Bec reported that the clutch got worse on the run out to Cooma, so it looks like I'll have a fairly busy time next weekend changing it out (provided I can get a replacement in time).

Thanks for the welcome you lot - this forum has already given me half a dozen answers, without me even having to ask the questions.

Cheers,
Jimbo

Attachments

• Front Drivers side.jpg
    Front Drivers side.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 42
G

Unregistered
Brown Mountain is an awesome drive, although I prefer going uphill from Bega to Cooma, for some reason it just feels like more of a drive then the downhill leg which feels like... a rush. I can't explain it, but uphill is much more enjoyable to me :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Brown Mountain is an awesome drive, although I prefer going uphill from Bega to Cooma, for some reason it just feels like more of a drive then the downhill leg which feels like... a rush. I can't explain it, but uphill is much more enjoyable to me :)

I always prefer driving uphill on a fun road. I think it's because using the throttle is more fun than using the brakes... :D

Top Bottom