SHY 323 aka Don // Adelaide - SA

G

Unregistered
Hi everyone,

I was told it would be good to join the OZVR4 community by my mate J-B who thought people would find my car interesting.

Info bout myself: My names Don, I'm 22 currently studying law at Flinders Uni and sadly still working at Big W with J-B.

Basic info bout the car: It is a genuine 1987 Mazda BFMR Familia sedan that went through a grey import type process, where it was to be shell swapped with a wrecked meteor. However the car was kept intact and registered as the wrecked meteor and passed by the register of motor vehicles here in SA and assigned a new VIN number. So it is technically the only 4WD turbo Ford Meteor so to speak lol

As for the outside goes, it looks similar to a 323 sedan, very much to the surprise of others. However the front and rear bars and lights are a give away.

On the inside it runs it's original B6T motor still going strong (touch wood), a GT2860R; a Gizzmo ECU mapped to 16psi, Evo 7 front mount with 2.5" stainless pipes and a 2.5inch turbo back exhaust.

Keeping it on the ground are Hot Bits coilovers all round attached to Enkei Rally Compe forged rims on Toyo 195/50/15 T1R rubber.

Appart from that the car is in original condition apart from the front bar to fit the front mount and head unit.

Here are some pics courtesy of J-B and his digital SLR, which were taken just before the front mount was put on so it has the factory front bar.

bfmr1wh8.jpg

bfmr2xl9.jpg

bfmr3fx6.jpg

bfmr6fn9.jpg

bfmr7bc3.jpg

bfmr8ei9.jpg

Cheers,

Don.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That would upset a lot of cars and get a lot of funny looks! Very clean example you've got there

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Very nice. I have a soft spot for Mazdas - I had dreams of turning my old BG Astina into a turbo 4wd monster but sanity prevailed and I bought a Legnum instead.

Have you got any performance specs on it?

G

Unregistered
I'm getting it tuned tomorrow, by tuned i mean raising the boost whilst monitoring the vitals on a dyno, so should have decent figures up by tomorrow night.

G

Unregistered
Hey,

Had the car on a dyno today and was a bit bummed but after thinking about it the result isn't that surprising. Running 10psi (RED) it puts out 95kw atw, which at first was a bit low for what I expected but at 10psi the turbo isn't working much at all and is well out of it's efficiency range of 16-18psi. Tried a 14psi (BLUE) run but leaned out and had to back off, from the graph however it was looking at around 120kw atw if fuel was available. So hoping for around 150kw atw with 17psi once i get my fueling sorted.

Here is the graph:

I'll keep you updated when i sort out the fuel.

Cheers,

Don.

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
How much does it weigh from the factory!?

edit* WAY!

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
The first Familia AWD turbo model that came out circa 1986 was an absolute weapon. Cost $30K from the factory!! Was my dream car for quite some time.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have a mate who would be really interested in your car! I'll tell him to jump on and have a look. He owns a TX3 with a Familia GTR engine transplant.

G

Unregistered
The 4wd puts a bit of weight on it but it has a kerb weight of 1100kg, I want to chuck it on some scales with a full tank of gas to see the exact weight but yea thats what the book says.

I'm pricing up a microtech for it so hopefully I will have some decent figures in the near future.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
That's a mighty fine Q-Ship you have there. Bit of a rarity too :D

Top Bottom