Stephen in QLD

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
What the hell is a Galant ECS VR - 4?? :confused:

Steve I understand you need a car soonish, but you'd really be FAR better off getting something from Kristian (Iron Chef) or one of the members on here who need to sell their car, and having it shipped up there - you'll save a buttload of money and end up with a FAR better car!

Guys are there any cars still for sale in the classifieds section? Or have Hawks and everyone else sold their cars by now?

G

Unregistered
stephen if you need a legnum soon i suggest you do some research on here and ask the gold coast and brissie fellows to help you find one around here then when you have a few interesting ones fly down and drive it home.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
You should do some research, get a better car from another location (you'd save money even with the airfare and cost of driving back!). Then go back to that dealer and show him your better example!

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i went with a mate today and looked at some leggys around sunny coast

there was one identical to mine with 83,000 kms in good condition,only flaw was lots of swirl marks in the paint and a tocued up spot on the front bar and it is only $12,000 as he wants it gone.even has its prefacelift tow hook cover like mine

another one from the same owner was $15g with 105,000kms but it was facelift

and a few at a dealer ship but all around 18-20g but in perfect condition

all these cars were at kawana on the sunshine coast,7 cars in total about 2 mins from eachother

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Didnt get to go back today, I was called in to work unexpectedly, but that gives me a day off tomorrow instead.

I'm still tempted to make an offer for this car: nothing that's 'wrong' with it is enough to make me think its a bad purchase, but I'm well aware I havent driven it yet. Depending on how the test drive goes, and how the engine sounds, of course.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Some photos of this car

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks this car is worth.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

I do like that he's written "Only" next to the price

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Then theres the damage.... in particular, ive taken photos of the paint chips across the nose, and the gouges in the alloy wheels.
IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

And while I'm at it, what is this little gizmo? Its mounted on the top of the dashboard, right in the centre of the car, all the way forward, almost touching the bottom of the windscreen..
IMG_0209.jpg

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Its part of an Alpine VICS (Vehicle Information and Communication System), used in Japan to alert drivers to road works, traffic conditions etc. There'll be a control unit elsewhere and its designed to plug into a video screen. It is utterly useless in Australia.

The car looks ok, but as mentioned previously, way overpriced. I think $14k is ok for it, $15k would be going a bit high. Well, compared with self-imported vehicles, anyway. At the end of the day, any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
I finally got my test-drive this afternoon, after a week away with work.:drool:

It was certainly nice to drive - comfy seats, nice road handling, :) but my list of concerns has jumped through the roof.:eek:

The engine started ok, but the smell straight away certainly indicated a very rich mixture. Mr Dealer :wanker: assured me it was just because it hadn't been driven in a month, and that it had 98RON fuel in the tank.

Sitting at the traffic lights, with the wind blowing from behind, I noticed a large amount of white smoke pouring from the exhaust. It seemed better after the car had been running for a while, but was still present.

Due to traffic, I couldn't actually try a 0-100 acceleration, but I did get a couple of 0-60, and on a different stretch of road, 60-100's, and to be honest I was a little underwhelmed by the response. Sure, the noise picked up, but I was expecting to at least feel pushed back into my seat. Perhaps I'm a little desensitised to that, because I certainly get pushed back into my seat when I give the work vehicle full donkeys, but I don't think this particular Legnum was any quicker off the mark than my old Commodore. :banghead:

Mr Dealer :wanker: repeatedly told me how good the car was, and dismissed the thick black carbon buildup on the exhaust as "just from when you started it before, as it hasn't been driven in a month." Good thing I had those photos I took of it last week, with the same buildup. He seemed a little confused as to whether nine years was a long time or a short time - when explaining the paint chips and the 107,626 on the odometer, it was because nine years on the road will do that to a car... but when justifying the price tag, it was because at only nine years, it was so new. :wanker:

He reckons he paid 7,800,000 yen for it (seven point eight million yen) at auction in person in Japan, but even when you take off the extra zero he's stuck in there, he was either very, very ripped off, or is telling me porkies. Guess which option I'm thinking of.

He lowered the price to $16,000 driveaway, but I still think that's too much.

I'm prepared to travel to Brisbane - I think I need to look elsewhere for a car.

Incidentally, the odometer reading on the car was 1,479km higher than what his spec sheet claims it to be - does anyone know what tolerance on the spec sheet is legal/reasonable?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Definitely pass!!

I'm sure someone from brissy will come shopping with you if you want a second opinion.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Sounds like the dealer should have imported through IronChef too.

There is no way he paid 8 grand for it in Japan unless he is a total noob.

At $16k he is probably making a couple of grand....

Have a look on IronChefs web site you will get a fair idea of how much they are worth to import.... because that's what EVERY one in OZ has been through. It will give you a little more to bargain with.

http://www.ironchefimports.com/site/

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
IronChefs web site you will get a fair idea of how much they are worth to import....

Although there are more costs than this involved with getting it on the road, its a good indication. Add a grand or 2 plus dealers profit and justify whether its worth it....

(It's not ;))

because that's what EVERY one in OZ has been through

Not true, but he does import a lot of VR-4's

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Although there are more costs than this involved with getting it on the road, its a good indication. Add a grand or 2 plus dealers profit and justify whether its worth it....

(It's not ;))

Not true, but he does import a lot of VR-4's

Hah, I just meant every one has been imported full stop. I know the chef is good but I didn't think he had the whole market sewn up.

G

Unregistered
come to brissie or gold coast and get real choice. But dont go to Import Auto Centre because they are cheats and thieves and liars... If you dont trust him go with your gut.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sounds to me like they've put those extra 1,479kms on it while it's been sitting in their yard. I'm also willing to bet a pressure test will show some issues, either rings or maybe a turbo. The poor thing sounds shagged, best to avoid...

Hmm there really should be an RSPCA for abused cars :(

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts - this car, and this dealer, are best kept further than barge-pole distance away.

I'm going to be down in Brisbane in a few weeks anyway, so I shall see how things go - I might have to get another car in the mean time, but that will give me time to consider importing one (and THAT justifies me a trip to Japan!).

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
No, :( not yet.

Still looking for a good one, and also trying to get together enough money to buy one, which is rather the most important point.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Resurrected thread... I'm saying Hi again because Im now in a position to get a VR4 at last.

I am living just out of Perth, and have been looking at the local market. So far, from what I can tell, Embleton Motors sells Galants, and they have some very nice ones, but I am after a Legnum.

There is a private seller white facelift auto with over 100,000km on Carsales, but the REVS check says the VIN and Engine Numbers provided via text from the seller do not match the number plate. I forgot to check the plate myself when I test-drove the car so I do not know if the provided numbers are accurate or not. In any case, that's a red flag.

A & T Commerical Vehicle Wholesalers on the Great Eastern Hwy have a white facelift manual with 60,000km, but it has a broken pod filter, and in any case is priced at $19,000.

As far as I know, these are the only two Legnums for sale in WA.

My other option, seeing as I think I can probably handle waiting a little longer for the car, is importing. The Iron Chef is advertising a nice white facelift auto with 42,000km, and that looks like a great car.

Ive seen a few VR4s driving around Perth, though I havent actually met any of the drivers. I missed the cruise in September due to being at work on a Sunday, but I'm hoping to meet the local Perth members some time soon.

As far as importing goes, is there a compliance workshop in Perth, or am I going to have to get it complied interstate?

Top Bottom