Strength of 5spd Manual Gearbox

G

Unregistered
Just curious as to the strength of the Stock 5spd Manual Gearbox in the Legnum's?

I've done a search but there wasn't much on the manual gearbox strength, only a few pages on the Auto Gearbox.

My younger bro is heavily involved in the world of Subaru's, and for instance knows that the Subaru 5spd Transmissions are all weak as piss but the 6spd STi boxes are ridiculously strong and virtually indestructible with anything less than 300kw atw. With the subaru 6spd you can do 7k launches all day long and the only thing that will start breaking is virtually everything but the gearbox (i.e. driveshafts, diffs, tailshaft).

So my question is, how strong is the stock driveline? EVO 5spd Strength?

If so, or not, what times have people run down the qrt mile with stock 5spd Manual Boxes? How much power have people pushed through them before they've broken?

Thanks

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
From what I've read they are as strong as the Evo box. My best time is 13.79, with 176 at the wheels.

All the high power VR-4s I've read about on CVR4 are using stock gearboxes.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
From what I've read they are as strong as the Evo box. My best time is 13.79, with 176 at the wheels.

All the high power VR-4s I've read about on CVR4 are using stock gearboxes.

cheers

Lee

Sweet, thanks for that mate! Anyone else?

Also, if the EVO gears fit straight into the Legnum boxes, has anyone fit PPG or PAR EVO gears to these boxes for indestructible strength?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It is the same part code as an EVO4-9 5 speed and has the same internals, but some gear ratios are slightly different. The evo bellhousing doesn't fit onto VR-4's at all.

In NZ we've swapped a few sets of EVO gears into VR-4 boxes

G

Unregistered
PPG gearsets and PAR your talking like 5K and a bullet proof race box i like your thinking...
mmm nicks old forester.. i so want straight cuts and/or 6K launches..

G

Unregistered
I've done countless 5-6-7k launches... gearbox is still in one piece. By now it's seen three sets of turbos - 03, 04, 05... ;) don't worry about it too much! ;)

G

Unregistered
I've done countless 5-6-7k launches... gearbox is still in one piece. By now it's seen three sets of turbos - 03, 04, 05... ;) don't worry about it too much! ;)

This is what I like to hear!! hahaha

IMHO spending up big on the gearbox is sometimes the best way to start, as that way no matter what you throw at it in terms of big engine builds, the gearbox stays in one piece and you don't spend $1,000's on stock boxes before you make the transfer to a strong box.

And straight cuts sound tuff too!

Interestingly though, PAR and PPG only offer a Dog Straight Cut gearset for the EVO's, were as for the WRX and Subi clan they offer both Dog and Syncro. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Top Bottom