Suspension Noise - need help diagnosing

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
Hi all

I did a search but couldn’t see anyone that had experienced the same issue. I have this loud creaking noise coming from what appears to be the drivers side suspension. Can only hear it when stationary turning the wheel or when turning at really low speeds. The car has MCA street essential coilovers which I was told by the last owner were very new. Could this be an installation error causing this? Grateful for any advice :)

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
LCA’s have been replaced in the last couple of years and the car wasn’t driven much but I will check them out again. It just went over the pits twice and to a mechanic in the last two weeks so I am sure it would have been picked up :/

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
It doesn’t matter, I reckon it’s them.
A few years ago I was complaining because I brought GENUINE lower control and didn’t last 3 years and one side started to make noise with only like 25000kms in those 3 yrs (pretty sure my posts are in that thread I sent you)

Do u know for a fact it was replaced with genuine Mitsubishi ? Even so, like I said it happened on mine after 3 yrs.

Mechanics/pits it doesn’t matter, obviously that noise wasn’t there when you went to them ? It it was then they are stupid! But if it wasn’t there then it most likely just went recently.

Anyways man it’s your life really, easy thing take it to a mechanic and ask them to have a look at both side lower control arms ball joints and rubbers but by memory it’s the ball joint have no grease (if you lift off the rubber cover carefully you can maybe see or use a bar to see how much play there is)

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
It doesn’t matter, I reckon it’s them.
A few years ago I was complaining because I brought GENUINE lower control and didn’t last 3 years and one side started to make noise with only like 25000kms in those 3 yrs (pretty sure my posts are in that thread I sent you)

Do u know for a fact it was replaced with genuine Mitsubishi ? Even so, like I said it happened on mine after 3 yrs.

Mechanics/pits it doesn’t matter, obviously that noise wasn’t there when you went to them ? It it was then they are stupid! But if it wasn’t there then it most likely just went recently.

Anyways man it’s your life really, easy thing take it to a mechanic and ask them to have a look at both side lower control arms ball joints and rubbers.

yeh I have read that whole thread now - will Jack it up and have a look and see if they are genuine. Regardless based on the noise others have experienced I will replace both. To be honest both pits and the mechanic were not overly helpful with things so it wouldn’t surprise me if they missed it. I searched thinking it was to do with the coilovers - LCA’s didn’t cross my mind as I made sure they had been replaced before I bought the car. Scary thing is I drove it home a few weeks ago about 450kms in 110kmh zone. No noise then though.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Haha yeah with me, no noise what’s so ever driving home one day, next day started the car and first turn the noise came, annoying !

Here’s a video (not same car but same style in a way)

It could be something else but what I hear I reckon it’s those control arms sound like what happened to my car.

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
Update on this - both LCA's replaced with genuine items from TME. To my disgust the noise is still there. Had a quick look today and it seems to be coming from the ball joint on the upper control arm. I can feel movement in this as the wheel is being turned and the noise is occurring. Is this something anyone has experience with? Should i look at replacing the whole control arm or find someone with a press to replace the ball joint?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Ohhh dammm really, sorry to hear :(

But what upper ball joint/control arm are you talking about ? Have a photo ? My minds blank at the moment

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Scopes, don't worry about the top ball joint, it doesn't hold any load

one you need to worry about is the bottom one.

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
Scopes, don't worry about the top ball joint, it doesn't hold any load

one you need to worry about is the bottom one.

I replaced the bottom LCA's with genuine ones including genuine tie rod end and inner tie rod. This noise is still there - any ideas?

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
does it clunk as you hit a bump or when you turn?[/QUOTE

It happens when turning the wheels whilst stationary or doing slow turning manoeuvres. Can’t hear it when driving - bumps don’t seem to cause issues. The car is running near new MCA street essential coilovers. I have just gotten a second hand replacement upper arm so will see what this does.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how about the swaybar links have you replaced them?

also with the top ball joint, you can buy replacement ball joints for that. They are held in by a circlip

Scopes

Idling at the Lights
First Name
John
Drive
1999 Galant VR4
how about the swaybar links have you replaced them?

also with the top ball joint, you can buy replacement ball joints for that. They are held in by a circlip

So i replaced the whole upper arm today and got a wheel alignment. So far so good - no noise! I think it is fixed. I will keep the sway bar links in mind if i hear anything else concerning. Thanks for your input :)

Top Bottom