Tachometer. Nothing on the dash or RSM now (update)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Hey Guys 'n' Gals,

Ok, so here's what's been happening with Loki in the last two months. My tachometer on the dash has an intermittent fault which gets worse. It's currently reading nothing at all unless I stomp on the accelerator and MAYBE it'll rise above zero.

Driving back from the honeymoon today from Cape Otway back to Melbourne (about 250km), the lass was doing the piloting and it didn't budge a single bit.

The thing is, my Apex'i RSM (I've got an older model as listed in the PDF here: (http://www.japrace.com/images/instructiondownloads/Apexi-RSM-Instruction.pdf) is reading the RPMs perfectly fine.

There's something in me hoping that it's a fuse or a loose wire or something, since Super VR-4 dashboard displays are pretty rare to find. I've searched up on here and Club VR4 with not much luck. I may have missed something obvious though.

Cheers!

G

Unregistered
Have you tried disconnecting the RSM. If so did it sort out the problem. If this sorts it out then the RSM is pulling to much of the signal and you'll need to add a resistor in the line to the RSM. I had to to this with my boost controller as it caused a similar problem.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If not, have a read of my 260kmh speedo article. Pull the car apart, then measure for continuity to see if it is something up in the dial area.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Well, now that I've had a chance to poke a few days ago, I unplugged the RSM and got nothing (cheers though Peter).

Looks like I may need to know where to check since as of this afternoon, I get nothing from the RSM or the dash's tachometer. It may be as something as simple as a loose cable but being who I am, I don't know where to start

*scratches head*

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Ran the diagnostics (thanx Kat) and it threw up an ABS and TCL fault code 43 instead [RR solenoid]

I found something here after searching for "tacho" instead of "tachometer" and apparently there could be an issue with the ignition failure sensor?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42769&highlight=tacho

Ok, so it's situated under the engine cover (black cube thing). Now, the "search" begins in how to fix it :)

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Yeah i had the same problem except without the RSM. My tacho just read zero permenantly. Turned out it was the IFS, had the place i got it from have a look at it and they managed to fix it for me. Dont know what they did though sorry. But that is probably what the problem is.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Fixed then :)

Digging the new sig by the way Gav. It is missing the part saying you've met various members from all over the place. Does this mean you're making it out my way soon?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Update...

It lasted just over seven years (almost 20 considering that it's a second hand part), failing about 10km from home but the car was still firing on all cylinders. Haven't tried the short-pin-3-4 trick yet since I have my daily with me today.

Time to start looking for another one!

Top Bottom