Thailand

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
Think I'll take the vodka route. But don't worry, I'm packing enough "good bacteria". :p

fuckin thanks for the heads up on the dog meat. Jeezus, I'm the type to try bright foods.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Thanks for this thread. It has really helped me and my girlfriend plan our holiday in December. Wanting to travel somewhere SE Asia related, we settled on Phuket as the prices are really good, especially over the holiday season/late December. Flights were around $900 each return for 9 days. Adding accommodation was only $150 extra for 8 nights; bargain. (I did shop around and got a hotel with good reviews.) Not having been to Thailand before, this thread and Blake's blog on NS.com has been my road map with planning everything out and knowing what to expect.

I'm just wondering if anyone could give tips on the following:
- We're staying in Kata beach (about 10kms from Patong). Is there plenty to do here? No doubt we will travel to Patong a bit. Would it be worth to stay a few nights in Patong or just travel there during the day?
- Hiring a bike seems like the best way to explore the island. Would be it be fine for me and my girfriend to share one or just get taxis?
- Is it worth getting a tailored made suit? What options can you get?
- One of my biggest worries is the food. Is it mostly just fried crap tourist friendly type food? Can you go to supermarkets and just get some oats and yoghurt? I'll probably take half a kilo of protein powder to make sure I'm eating enough and as a backup.
- My girlfriend wants to do the resort stuff and get pampered with massages. Are these easy to find?
- Phi Phi island seems like a must visit location. Are the tours easy to organise? What options for day trips?
- Any other must see/visit things you recommend.
- I've been checking out the exchange rate and the going rates of most things. It looks like $50 a day AUD should be plenty. I don't drink and don't really go crazy buying meaningless stuff. Does that sound right?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I'm just wondering if anyone could give tips on the following:
- We're staying in Kata beach (about 10kms from Patong). Is there plenty to do here? No doubt we will travel to Patong a bit. Would it be worth to stay a few nights in Patong or just travel there during the day?
Kata/Karon have plenty of clothes/stuff shops to keep you busy. Patong I found in the main shopping malls to be the same price as over here for the genuine stuff. Our resort (Horizon Karon Beach Resort & Spa) had a free bus/truck ride to and from Patong on a regular basis. It wasn't that far and you weren't crowded with tourists like Patong. There are also plenty of places to eat in Kata/Karon.

- Hiring a bike seems like the best way to explore the island. Would be it be fine for me and my girfriend to share one or just get taxis?
We hired one of the 125CC bikes and Mandy sat on the back with the map. Just ride carefully, as not long after we go back Mandy's work colleague died after her fiancée swerved to miss a car and she came off.
If you want to play it safe and let the locals drive, hire a tuk-tuk. Cheap and cheerful!

- Is it worth getting a tailored made suit? What options can you get?
Every 3rd shop just about is an Indian or Burmese tailor. You can get some quite good stuff, but I didn't bother as I already had 3 suits.

- One of my biggest worries is the food. Is it mostly just fried crap tourist friendly type food? Can you go to supermarkets and just get some oats and yoghurt? I'll probably take half a kilo of protein powder to make sure I'm eating enough and as a backup.
We found getting stuff like bread and meat very difficult. We just wanted to make some lunch food for day trips but didn't have a lot of luck. Breakfasts and teas were provided and there were plenty of options for both of these (the hotel had HUGE cooked breakfasts). So we just pigged out on breakfast and morning tea (both provided) and then went out of used the Hotels restaurant.

- My girlfriend wants to do the resort stuff and get pampered with massages. Are these easy to find?
Yep. Your resort will most likely have one on site. If not they can recommend one. There are plenty.

- Phi Phi island seems like a must visit location. Are the tours easy to organise? What options for day trips?
- Any other must see/visit things you recommend.
Yep there are plenty of stalls which sell the tickets and organise it for you. DON'T pay full price, we got massive discounts.
We did a 3 island speed boat trip, with snorkelling and a 3 course lunch provided. Cost us about $63 each :) NOTE: there was no toilets. The ocean is your friend.
There is also white water rafting (fun!).
We did the elephant ride but it was pathetic and they were covered in wounds from being beaten with sharp pricks.
And lots lots more. Just if you hire motor bikes/jet skis take photos first so they don't try to claim huge repair fees for damage you didn't cause.
We got cautioned about the zoo as apparently they treat the animals pretty badly so didn't go, but others may have more recent experience.
There is the Cabernet if you are into that sort of thing. I'm not so can't tell you what it was like but every travel agent recommended it.

- I've been checking out the exchange rate and the going rates of most things. It looks like $50 a day AUD should be plenty. I don't drink and don't really go crazy buying meaningless stuff. Does that sound right?
I can't remember how much we spent... but I think we allowed ourselves $50 per day each. We didn't end up spending that, but this ensured we didn't find ourselves eating bread and water at the end of the trip!

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Suit Suit?
Massarge, Massarrrrge?

Two words you're gonna get sick of hearing :)

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
3 days, WOO! Anyone got an idea about international some cards etc?

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
+1 on the 28 Degrees card, my partner & a good mate have one - great way to do things.

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
Thought I may aswell update this.

Went. it was great. Only used my card once and checked out the atm thoroughly. Loved the 7-11s. They have everything. Blew $300 in one night at the tiger bar. Sat in the Russian club, lit a few lanterns, rode up to the big buddah and drank in the pool. Was awesome. You really can't get kicked out of anywhere. Going back ASAP.

Top Bottom