Tiptronic transmission - changing the shifter direction

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
OK fellas, just did this. Easy as anything. Will take you under 1.5 hours. That's how long it took me, while trying to work out what was attached to what and so on.

Start by pulling the shifter surround out(clipped in) and the drink holder/pouch as below:

DSC05069.jpg

Working in the passenger foot well, remove the two screws holding the console trim panel on. There is also a screw hidden under the glove box lid. Slide the seats all the back and remove the side trim.

Move the seat forward, remove the screws from each side of the centre console. There is a screw under the drink holder/pouch and one either side of the shifter as can been seen in the above photo, remove them.

Working in the drivers foot well, remove the two screws in the side trim panel of the centre console near the pedals. Pull the Traction Control System switch panel out, disconnect the plugs, and remove the screw behind.

Unbolt the bonnet release catch, and the screws one either side that hold this part of the trim panel on. This trim panel is also clipped, pull it out. Now you have access to the last screw holding the side panel on. Unscrew it and remove the centre console side trim.

This is what you have uncovered:

DSC05063.jpg

The two aqua/teal switches are the tiptronic control switches. Note that they share a common red wire as seen here:

DSC05064.jpg

DSC05065.jpg

Cut the white and yellow wires and strip the ends. It may also help to cut and peel back some of the plastic sleave that neatens up the wiring.

This is what you now have:

DSC05066.jpg

Rejoin the wires, but put white to yellow and yellow to white. You can solder, twist and tape, or crimp them together, whatever floats your boat really. See below:

DSC05067.jpg

Stuff all the wiring back into the places it came from. Last job is to switch the "+" and "-" stickers next to the shifter. For that I used a small modelling screw driver as seen in the pic. Peel them up, swap them over, re-glue if you like, and push them down.

DSC05070.jpg

Your shifter now pulls back for another gear, and pushes forward to downshift.

Enjoy n shit.

G

Unregistered
good work joel!

post it in the 'how to' section :)

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
And yes, I love you in here too :)

The natural movement of the body during acceleration and braking is better suited to having it the way Joel has now made it (and the way it is in our Ford Territory too :) )

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Had I an auto, I would love you also. As it is, I respect your effort and reserve my love for when it's needed ;)

Nice one!

Top Bottom