To, or not to, block plumb back hose - VTA BOV Install

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
As the title says... When installing a VTA BOV, should or shouldn't we be blocking the plumb back pipe

I have read a bit on the net and it seems as though people are a bit undecided. Some have dramas with it blocked, some don't, some find it fine either way.

I would like the definitive answer lol.... For VR4's of course

And if we are blocking them, what are we using to do so?

G

Unregistered
if you don't block the plumb back pipe you have a just boost/air leak.

i bought a bung to block mine with,

you can use what ever you can squeeze in there and secure

the prob is not blocking the hole, but actual plumb back vs. VTA bov's

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
If you do not block the hose, wont it leak already "accounted for" air? Thus causing the ecu to dump in fuel?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I went the plumb back option Dawson and have not looked back since, but it's all dependent on what you want ie noise etc.

Perhaps you could get one that can swap between VTA and plumb back and have the best of both worlds?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Cheers guys.... Bung it is!

I have just aquired an SSQV. The boss let me get it because it makes noise, and i wanted it to get rid of the leaky standard one i have so it means i'm in the good books and got a performance upgrade as such (ie, i can now wind my boost up without dramas lol) :)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Your "boss", is she programmable? I mean far out, if i said to the person who wears the paints in my house that i needed to spend a few hunge on the car that either didn't increase fuel efficiency ( she always has a go at me about how thirsty it is :mad:), or didn't turn it into a mazda3 ( the car she really wanted ) she would slap me:eek:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Your "boss", is she programmable?

:ROFLMAO:

Nope, she came pre-programmed as a car nut... Might be why i like her so much ;)

I even convinced her to let me get a MOMO steering wheel too! Its in my members rides thread :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Reckon i'll be able to squeeze a 38mm bung in it? Its all i can get at them moment (Is $15 too)

BTW - I do realise its a 34mm hose, i'm just hoping its flexible enough to fit a 38mm in it! :)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Here's the measurement of the bung that came with the R2D2 which fits perfectly on our cars and Evo's.
All you need to do is make sure you get a bung that sits snug inside the pipe and is thick enough so the jubilee clip can be tightened around it from the outside hose :)

The measurement below shows 3.5cm on the outter extension which sits outside the hose. So a bung with a measurement of 3.4 or 3.5 cm will be perfect and will fit tight.

P2180011.jpg

P2180005.jpg

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Do you reckon the hose is strechy enough to get a 38mm one in there?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yep. Just use some petroleum gel like Vaseline to coat the bung and squeeze it in. Then tighten it up hard with the jubilee clip.

The bung that came with the R2D2 was pretty small, so it slipped into the hose opening really easily but had to be tightened hard so that it would fit snug. So 38mm should be fine :)

Top Bottom