Stripped inlet manifold/block threads

luke12390

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4 Auto
Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I changed my plugs and when I put everything back together, I stripped the threads of the two long bolts that holds in the inlet manifold (the two bolts in the middle, sort of).

So I got a bloke out to re-thread them. I put it all back together and now I've stripped the bolt furthest to the right of all the front bolts! Not happy.

My question is if you think this is worth getting re-threaded, because it aint cheap to call these guys out again to fix. What triggered this is there was a boost leak and after checking every fitting, clamp etc, I could only think that that first stripped bolt was the culprit. Now I'm worried that it was all for nothing.

Cheers,
Luke.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Yeah I got away with re-tapping it a couple of times myself.
A tap and die set is only $60 odd bucks and is worth it's weight in gold.

Trouble is a re-tapped thread will never be as strong as the original thread.. So the next purchase was a torque wrench..

I ended up buying a new lower manifold with fresh threads.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
You can buy sets to do it, the set (helicoil, recoil to name a couple of brands) comes with everything you need. The main thing is that you need to re-drill and tap the hole and do it STRAIGHT (usually a drill-press will help considerably).
These thread repairs end up stronger than the original due to the fact you have a bigger main thread into the aluminium and then your steel bolt is now tightening against a steel thread.

When putting bolts into aluminium you should always lubricate the threads first and always use a torque wrench.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I changed my plugs and when I put everything back together, I stripped the threads of the two long bolts that holds in the inlet manifold (the two bolts in the middle, sort of).

So I got a bloke out to re-thread them. I put it all back together and now I've stripped the bolt furthest to the right of all the front bolts! Not happy.

My question is if you think this is worth getting re-threaded, because it aint cheap to call these guys out again to fix. What triggered this is there was a boost leak and after checking every fitting, clamp etc, I could only think that that first stripped bolt was the culprit. Now I'm worried that it was all for nothing.

Cheers,
Luke.
Its generally easier than finding a lower manifold.

I've helicoiled all of mine over the years, its been no issue.

luke12390

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
2001 Legnum VR-4 Auto
Thanks guys.

I'll probably try and re-thread them all myself. Hopefully access won't be a problem, especially for that far right one.

Top Bottom