Turbo shaft play in TD04's

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
One of my TD04s has some lateral movement in the shaft and not having much experience in this area, i know it is not great, but how much is too much play?

I can move it about 1mm maybe just by wiggling the nut on the end of the compressor wheel. The wheel itself doesn't foul on anything, it just wiggles.

PS: No wang jokes please :D

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I would ring up a turbo distributor and find out.

1mm of play might not seem like a lot but in something that normally has none, it is quite a bit.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
What Kenneth said, I'd check with a few people too, to see you get consistent answers....

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'm thinking lateral is translating to radial. So sideways rather than end to end.

After a bit of a search I found http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=293681&page=4, which lead to this:

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/turbo_page.htm said:
General tolerances - Sleeve bearings - (access the shaft from compressor air-in end) -> typical maximum shaft end play (thrust) (back and forth, not sideways) is 0.008"inch or 0.20 mm (play should NOT be noticeable using your fingertips). Shaft side play no more than 0.022" inch or 0.56 mm (very noticeable sideways movement using your fingertips).

Edit: goes without saying it all depends on the turbo bearing type etc. as to determining acceptable limits of play. More info in the first link.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yup, from what i have read/experienced, axial play is not good. radial play (1mm or under) is ok. just dont boost the tits out of them

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
remember td04's are just a plain sleeve style bearing. This means a larger tolerance for oil flow. Once running with oil flow, radial movement will decrease.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Thanks people, I was too lazy to do my own googling, so thanks Volk :)

It is lateral play that I'm referring to, I can't feel any 'thrust' play. The other TD04 I have is rock solid, can't feel any movement in the shaft at all. I've been quoted $850 for a full rebuild, which I don't really want to do since the turbo only cost me $300. I might take it somewhere and see how bad it is, I don't want to go to the effort of fitting it to have it munch itself in a month's time.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Np man, after so many years in IT I've come to accept the fact I'm a glorified google monkey :p

Top Bottom