[VIC] Recommend me a Suburb

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hey guys,

I am in the middle of getting my house ready to sell for a bit of a change and one of our many options is to move down to Victoria somewhere.

Can you guys recommend me a suburb that is;

* within about 30-45 mins away from Melbourne CBD (any direction)
* Somewhere that is a bit rural & kid friendly
* with houses around 300 - 400k

What is the Macedon Range area like?

Also, please give me the suburbs to avoid!

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Can you guys recommend me a suburb that is;

* within about 30-45 mins away from Melbourne CBD (any direction)
* Somewhere that is a bit rural & kid friendly
* with houses around 300 - 400k

Sadly, this reads a bit like a cruel joke these days. :(
It's very hard to find that kind of land/suburb so close to the CBD. Your best bet would be further down the highway towards Geelong.

Werribee and Lara are possibilites - but might be pushing the 30-45min to Melbourne thing during peak hour.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Well, I was going to say Doncaster/Donvale area as I spent some of my childhood years there.... BUT F**K ME! prices are a little dearer than I expected LOL seems 600+ is the going rate for a reasonable home around there

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Anywhere within 30min of the Melbourne CBD is gonna demand huge dollars..

Fortunately, I no longer live anywhere near Melbourne. :p

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Believe it or not Frankston isn't as bad a place as its reputation suggests. It's stretching things a bit at 45-60 mins away from the CBD, but prices would be in your range depending on the neighbourhood. It's not rural per se, but is very close to rural areas - lots of open land, wineries, beautiful drives within a few kms south down the Mornington Peninsula.

Plus, there is at least one VR4 resident, soon to be two...

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Suburb right near me that is BOOMING called "Bellfield". Right next to Ivanhoe. Price would be somewhere in the 400's for something liveable straight away. But it is 15-20 mins from the city. This suburb will fetch high dollar in the next year or two.

McLoed is also a great area, but it might be hard to find something in there for $300 but $400 should be acheiveable.

Good luck with the hunting mate.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Thanks for the replies lads.

What about areas that are further away from the CBD, but close to larger suburbs with more work options? if you know what I mean :p

What is the Macedon / Gisborn region like?

G

Unregistered
I'm not too familiar with the north west suburbs, but the Berwick / Cranbourne area might be decent to look at as well in the south east. Plus it's not far from Mt Dandenong or the Black Spur. ;)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Come move out my way Mark! Eltham/Greensborough/Diamond Creek are great spots with plenty of space for the kids. House prices can be reasonable but you might have to be prepared to do some basic reno's to bring one up to speed. The run to the city will take you about an hour in peak hour traffic but only 30-45 mins any other time of the day.

Here are a few I found for ya' to look at.

Eltham North

Greensborough

Eltham

Diamond Creek

Greensborough

Greensborough

The last one looks nice, plenty of room for the kids and the cars! What more do you need? :p

G

Unregistered
When you say 35 - 40 minutes from the city, are you talking commuting, or just as the crow flies?

I ask because I'm 20 minutes from the city (maybe a bit less), outside the commuting hours. If you're commuting suddenly I'm 35 - 45 minutes from the city, with realistically 1 hour door to door.

There's some huge commercial areas on the eastern side, that you could buy around in the hope you'll end up with work there, but probably you'll have to give up something (e.g. pay 450k, or smaller land, or not a new house).

Dandenong North might be worth a look in that case. It's quite central to most of them, but to commute to the city from there by car is 1 hour, even though it's only 10 minutes more down the freeway from me! Outside of that it's 35 minutes I think.

Also there's been a massive increase in Melbourne house prices in the last year, average was 25% they're claiming, just outrageous. Houses around me are going for 50% more than I paid 4 years ago. It could be a very bad time to buy.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
When you say 35 - 40 minutes from the city, are you talking commuting, or just as the crow flies?

The poor crow I used to fly on got sick of carrying my fat arse hence I bought a VR4 :ROFLMAO:

The commute is via the eastern freeway up to the city, but who really want to drive into the city anyway? I was doing it for a few weeks out of necessity and was wishing every day that I could just catch the damn train.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Thanks Steve. The ones on your list seem to be good value. I am not exactly sure what we are doing yet, but it is good to have the help.

:p

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I'm not too wise on the melbourne suburbs, but i just started work on a new home in Mcloed near the uni and i do say not a bad area

G

Unregistered
Well, I was going to say Doncaster/Donvale area as I spent some of my childhood years there.... BUT F**K ME! prices are a little dearer than I expected LOL seems 600+ is the going rate for a reasonable home around there

Doncaster, Doncaster East, nice place but you'll have to look hard for a house for the price your after.

G

Unregistered
i saw a house in doncaster sell for 1.3mil the other day..lol
bryan i dint know you moved to mcloed, nick, steve and i all live bout 10mins away from you mate..lol small world

mblack

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
'97 Galant VR4
Gisborne is pretty good - I used to live out there, and I've still got family there.

It's about 30-35 mins from the CBD outside of peak hour times, and maybe up to an hour or more if the traffic is bad.
the town itself has pretty much everything you need, and its close to sunbury which is a bit bigger and should have anything you can't find in gisborne :)

its usually 5 or 10 degrees colder out there too, which can be a good thing or a bad thing :)

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Nah i fon't live in mcloed, i'm in essendon now i was meaning that i built a house out there with work. I'm a carpenter lol

Top Bottom