VR-4 Paddock win

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Requires a little bit of a story to get the idea of how things came about...

About 18 months ago my wife and I moved rural to a 1 ha block of land (with a house on it of course) at the top of a hill. The property had been subdivided before we bought and there is a 1/2 ha block just down the hill which another couple are building a house on. To cut a long story short, between us we bought some livestock. They had the background for looking after them, we had a wad of land we didn't really want to mow.

The drought at the start of the year meant that we couldn't finish off a couple of beefies and so we are carrying 2 full grown beefies into winter with not enough grass.

Neighbour went and collected some bales of hay in his ute + trailer, delivered to the shed and we unloaded.

Unfortunately the shed is at the bottom of the property (which is on a hill, so sloped) and his ute is only 2wd. Needless to say he got stuck. We unhooked the trailer and still he was stuck. Unfortunately the ute was sliding down the hill and did so until it contacted the fence.

So I thought about it a bit and suggested that the VR-4 was, technically, 4wd (no centre LSD, so potentially would have been as bad as the ute) so went and got that out of the shed where I had parked it earlier after finding I have an electrical issue.

So I drove the VR-4 into the paddock, stalling every time the brakes went on and got close enough to hook up a tow rope.
Put a bit of hand brake on to send some torque to the front wheels and went for it.

So there is a VR-4, lowered enough to have marginal clearance in the paddock, tyres designed for road, electrical issues, in a wet paddock trying to pull out a ute which was designed more for that sort of situation (albeit not being 4wd)
VR-4 went sideways and down the paddock a bit, then, all wheels spinning, pulled out the ute to the point where it was clear of the fence and on clean grass and at an angle that would allow him to get moving. VR-4 at this point couldn't pull the ute any more because I was facing uphill and it was getting steeper.

Unhooked the tow rope, got back in the VR-4, wheels spinning, car snaking about (took a bit to get it going, 5k RPM then back to 2, back up to 5k before the car started forward diagonally), hauled itself out of the paddock and back to the garage.

I wish I had been able to get a video (was kinda busy though) :D

I thought it was a pretty big VR-4 win there :)

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Haha yeah I've used my Legnum for recovery mission before once,
a mates Festiva paddock basher had gone into a deep muddy embankment (inches from his shed!)
tow rope out, and sideways the Legnum pulled the little Festiva out of the ditch with 200kg of extra mud stuck to it.
that was with near bald tyres on wet + muddy grass

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Nice, now fix your electrical stuff :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
LOL, i'm sure you'll sort it

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
That sounds like fun...passenger rides?

Top Bottom