(WA) Potential meet venues

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
We could make a list of potential places to meet. I was thinking to go for the whole GTA III industrial look. This is in North Freo, on Sultan Way, the one with the ocean is north mole drive. They were taken at around 5.30pm on Wed night while it was raining. Very poor light conditions, had the iso cranked right up on my lumix 12mp. Could do better with a SLR.

GTAindustrial1.jpg

GTAindustrial2.jpg

P1000366.jpg

maps

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
This time of year you either want a cloudless sky 'cause otherwise lighting will be shite, somewhere with lots of bright light or even night-time. The location you got shots of would look good with the right lighting, but unfortunately your camera has really let you down there. Flood lights and a tripod would improve things, but you're right I think your camera is the weakest link there.

There's a carpark in King's Park that might be able to give a backdrop of the city lights at night which would be cool... in fact, Perth has heaps of great photo locations. A friend of mine is a photographer - I'm gonna get him to get some shots of the car once it's back on the road (hopefully about a month away now!)

Good thread idea though Madhav :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Thats also in North freo hey? What time of day did u take those photos?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Evening close to sunset by the looks of things - only time of day you'll get that orange glow on the coast coming from the West ;)

G

Unregistered
yes yes and yes.

north mole, 5-5.30pm on a sunday a couple of months ago.

for that 1st photo there is about 150-200m of space (length) right next to the rocks, would be an awesome to spot to get some cars lined up.

G

Unregistered
Think this needs a revival?

North Mole would be good, could get some nice shots in front of the rocks and there is plenty of room near the lighthouse for a fair few cars.

Getting the industrial look is hard imo becuase they never seem to be clean, such as its hard to get inside the places without proper clearance. Therefore your left with hanging around the outsides which includes unwanted things such as grass, fences etc.

This time of year you either want a cloudless sky 'cause otherwise lighting will be shite...

I actually prefer a cloud-filled sky because that light is greatly diffused which reduces harsh shadows (evil) and in automotive applications it improves the colour and shine of a car. However we never can predict perfect conditions, so as it has been said, on a cloudless day its best to aim for mid-late arvo. Problem I find here is that although the sun evenly lights up the side of the car, you have to watch out for yourself casting a shadow.

Night shots can be good too and its also when most people are available too. Problem I find though is finding a place with either constistent lighting or lighting that ISNT the shitty orange sodium lights. Best place for this I reckon is underground/covered carparks.

Anyway, here are a few reccommendations and examples (and another blatent excuse to show some of my photos :D)

These few were taken at Whitfords Carpark...

_MG_8173.jpg
CRW_9003_edit.jpg

CRW_9023_edit2.jpg_595.jpg
CRW_9036_edit2.jpg

_MG_8154.jpg
_MG_8187.jpg_595.jpg

I quite like this place and I keep coming back to it, the top carpark has a nice clean and intresting background to it, and the lower part has the nice white lights I mentioned before, and being a carpark it has a large amount of room to move around in. Problem is though is security, the number of times I've been there by myself hasn't been a problem, but I can just imagine if we rock up with a number of cars we would be asked to leave pretty quickly.

After Paul's rec recommendation, I gave East Perth a crack last night, specifically Henry Lawson Walk.

_MG_6716.jpg
_MG_6717.jpg

As can be seen, there is a little bit of parking, and it would be kinda cool to have all the cars lined up. Would look pretty awesome around sunset too, though the tall buildings would create shadows. Cool thing is that there is a bridge that takes you to the other side so you could get a nice panoramic of the cars lined up with the nice houses behind, not too sure if the people living in the area would like it though :)

Close to the earlier suggestion of North Mole is the E-Shed Markets/Maritime Museum.

_MG_6683_2.jpg

Huge amounts of parking and has the cool industrial look to it with all the shed doors and what not. Problem I had at night was all the sodium lights, but oh well.

A couple of other places where I haven't taken photos yet are:

Kings Park
Point Walter Reserve
South Perth Foreshore (common as hell)
Old Swan Brewery (Underground Carpark)
CSIRO Building (At night, wicked Loading Dock)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Photos came out great for night shots!

I like the underground carpark shots, kinda reminds me of same of those japanese drifting movies.... but yeah security could be a problem. Eshed has plenty of space and security should leave us alone there, East Perth seems more suited to BMW photo shoots, or woman in their evening dresses posing in front of a Rolls Royce... Got no idea about CSIRO place, point walter would be similar to all the other foreshore places, I reckon we try for an industrial look personally.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Oh I don't know, if you could get a few gorgeous women in their evening dresses to pose with your VR-4s, I think you should try East Perth! :D

And Stephen, I think the Melbourne crew should all pitch in to fly you over here and take photos of our cars!

Top Bottom