Want to buy HIDs for your car? Read this article first!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
It's just a marketing hype that makes u think with HID is brighter and much better than the stock one.
Actually not quite Hoff - HID headlamps DO produce more light, as Carsten's table shows around 4000k globes produce the most light, which is around three times as much as standard halogen headlamps. More light is a good thing, especially as they're more efficient so produce more light for less draw on your battery. But if it's not focused light you're quite right - they end up providing substantially less useful light, which is a big fricken waste of everyone's time.

Just to touch on the topic of show cars, some people go for the 10 to 12,000k globes because they look cool for a show car. If you are the sort to enter your car in shows or enjoy car photo opportunities, what you're MUCH better off doing is finding LED globes that produce the same colour temperature light but at around a tenth the brightness. Just swap them over for your photo session or competition - it will give your headlamps that awesome glow but without the intense glare, so they'll be easy to look at and photograph ;)

Bladerunner

Crunching Gears
First Name
AB
Drive
1998 Galant Facelift Type S
God, ppl with ebay HID kits piss me right off. Spend the money and get a decent kit that gives you bright and FOCUSSED headlamp beams, or don't do it at all.

G

Unregistered
I fitted HID 6000k's to my S15 and the difference was day and night, however that was different headlight to Legnums obviously. I then took out the 6000k and installed 4300k. Better again.
As mentioned previously, if you dont want the wanky blue then get 4300k, as it is the brightest and closest color to natural light. The comparo above probably didnt do HID's justice being 10000k!
I'll be throwing some HID's in the legnum shortly, either 4300/6000k, and I will post up some before and afters.
If anyone wants to buy the 6000k globes off me then let me know, I wouldnt recommend going over the 6000k unless you're a wanky ricer who likes the blue thing.
Oh and I got them off ebay, they are cheap and great!

G

Unregistered
I installed some H7 4300k HID's last night and as mentioned, they are not worth it unless you have projector headlights. Stick to normal globes.

I would have posted some pics to compare but my camera is dead, sorry.
My results are duplicated in the pics you see above anyway

csj

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Christer
Drive
Galant Avance Estate (Eurospec Legnum) 2003
Age-old thread, but here are my retrofitted projector lamps with 5000K HIDs:

One old, one new:

IMAG0114%20(Custom).jpg

Two new:

IMAG0115%20(Custom).jpg

Light cut-off (I'm in Norway, so the angle's towards the right):

IMAG0116%20(Custom).jpg

How the front looks at daytime:

IMAG0120%20(Custom).jpg

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Interesting to see you did the high beams too.

Also, you have way too many fog lights lol.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Or are they driving lights down low?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I just had to laugh at Fagmobler Parkering.... In english I believe it means fag-mobile parking, but I may be wrong :p

Lights look cool with the projector housings though!

csj

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Christer
Drive
Looks nicely done mate, congrats.
Thanks, I'm quite happy with both the looks and the function :)

Interesting to see you did the high beams too.

Also, you have way too many fog lights lol.
Had to do the high beams as well to complete the look :)

Or are they driving lights down low?
The two lights behind the bumper are high beams, but corrosion has caused them to not work anymore and I've been too lazy to fix them.

Driving lights?
High beams :)
I just had to laugh at Fagmobler Parkering.... In english I believe it means fag-mobile parking, but I may be wrong :p

Lights look cool with the projector housings though!
There are usually quite a lot of fag-mobiles parked there, so it's rather fitting, actually :D

Loosely translated "Fagmøbler" means "Trade furniture", meaning they sell office furniture and stuff like that. "Parkering" is parking, as you guessed :)

Johnny_k

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Johnny
Drive
97 COTY Legnum & 09 Astra
Soo. These xenon lights. They just better "stock" bulbs or are they this HID sh!t. Since my cruiser, i have always had issues with not enough light. Cruiser had real sh!t leadlamps and im of the same opinion on the Legnum. Can we just buy brighter bulbs just as we do at home? And is that xenon product the answer to my blindness at night. I wont spend hundreds on headlamps.

csj

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Christer
Drive
Xenon might be the answer if you have proper headlamps. Here in Norway we get pretty hefty fines for driving with retrofit HID kits in reflector lamps, but so far I haven't had any issues with the law in this regard. I too get pissed off at people retrofitting HID kits in standard headlights which scatter light everywhere, so I decided not to be one of them and got the projector heads.

Light output is way better than stock heads, light projection is better, but I need to adjust the low beams slightly upwards and the high beams slightly downwards for perfect light distribution.

The difference is like night and day, literally. There is so much more light on the road with the HID kits and projector lamps, it's almost like driving during daytime.

I'll be getting another set of headlights and HIDs for the wifey's car as well. They're pricey, but definitely worth it.

manwelllegnum

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Michael
Drive
Mitsubishi
Well,I used to run HID in my Magna,i know,but ,its a relevant topic,that had the parabolic lences in them,you know ,the Verada spec,but the hid just produced a rubbish light output.

Then i retro fitted a quad set of projector lenses,and boy are they good.

The projector lens focuses the light form the hid and produces a brilliant sharp cut off with no glare.

IMAG0363.jpg

Top Bottom