Code scanner - where to buy; car running rich

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Hi all, I've done some searching on the forums, but I can't seem to find a clear cut answer as to whether there is a scanner I can buy to do my own checks. Can I buy a MUTT or evo scan somewhere - does someone here sell something like this, or can someone point me to an EBay item?
My car seems to be running rich, because fuel consumption is high, but car runs perfectly otherwise. I've just bought an o2 sensor, but my simple test with a propane torch seems to show existing sensor is switching ok, so I'm not sure what else would cause a rich mix - the 02 sensor had black soot on it before I tested it.
Thanks

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Are you still running the wrong fuel spec?

If the fuel isn't as good you'll need to burn more...

Basic error codes can be pulled with a paperclip, or Evoscan with appropriate cable (OpenPort 2.0) if you want to get more advanced.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
No, we only tired it when we bought the car, then we trialled 95 (only slight improvement to just over 7 Km / l). The we'll trial 98, then I'm changing the o2 sensor. I just like doing things scientifically and systematically. It's all very well everyone saying run 98, but most people here seem to have upped the power on their cars, and we are dead stock; also, No one has been able to provide a definitive answer as to what "premium unleaded" is, as per the Japanese definition; our 95 is called premium unleaded, as is 93 in the USA. As I said my Verada is running very happily on 91 -I get nearly 10 km / l in town, which is great for a 3.5, and I only run 4 kms to work.The Verada is designed for 91, hence my question -what was the Galant designed for? One member answered and said he had a genuine manual, and it said go to sect xx for fuel requirement - when he went to that section, it was BLANK.
It is obvious to me if you are upping your boost etc, that you would have to run 95 or 98. Thanks for your response.. Can you advise me of how to use the paerclip method, or the evo scan method? What do I need to buy, as we have a few mitsi's in the family, and only the Pajero I think is obd2 compliant, so I can use the bluetooth ELM device

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
these EC5x series cars are meant to run 100ron. so you NEED to run 98ron fuel as these are normally found in most service stations in Australia.

Verada/Magnas are Australian released cars hence it is suited to the local fuel specifications.

ELM/OBD2 scanners will not work our cars as it is MUT II based

Rasheid Doctor

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rasheid
Drive
99 Galant
Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XJ4BC...=1512413610&sr=1-5&keywords=easydiag+2.0+plus

The EasyDiag is a eodb reader with a customise-able car make option. This version(plus) gives 2 free car make(other version don't give the 2 free car makes). Just choose the Mitsubishi make, it will download the files needed. Your choice is permanent so choose cars your currently working on. BTW you can add other cars for a fee and they have stuff like a 5 make discount etc... this tool only downfall is that it does not actuate servos, injectors and such. Other than that it is a full feature tool.
There is another version that should be able to accutate servos and injectors called idiag/icarscan but i have never used it so i cant comment. I think the fee for each car make is more expensive for the idiag/icarscan. I think one make in the idiag/icarscan(About US$68) can buy 5 makes(about USD$55) on the easydiag system.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XJ4BC...=1512413610&sr=1-5&keywords=easydiag+2.0+plus

The EasyDiag is a eodb reader with a customise-able car make option. This version(plus) gives 2 free car make(other version don't give the 2 free car makes). Just choose the Mitsubishi make, it will download the files needed. Your choice is permanent so choose cars your currently working on. BTW you can add other cars for a fee and they have stuff like a 5 make discount etc... this tool only downfall is that it does not actuate servos, injectors and such. Other than that it is a full feature tool.
There is another version that should be able to accutate servos and injectors called idiag/icarscan but i have never used it so i cant comment. I think the fee for each car make is more expensive for the idiag/icarscan. I think one make in the idiag/icarscan(About US$68) can buy 5 makes(about USD$55) on the easydiag system.

may apply to cars with OBD compliant. As previously mentioned in this thread, EC5x Series Galants. Specifically with 6A13TT motors are MUTII and does not work with OBD dataloggers

Rasheid Doctor

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rasheid
Drive
99 Galant
Its a semi professional tool, it works even with obd 1(12pin port) for mitsubish using the adapter. I used this tool on my JDM 99 galant 6a13, that has both a 12 pin and a 16 pin OBD 2(not OBD compliant) data port. Like i said before the only thing you cant do is actuate servos, injectors and fans and such. But you can read SRS, ABS, Transmission, Chassis and more. Live data, error codes and reset is available.

Rasheid Doctor

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rasheid
Drive
99 Galant
I just remembered something, I did not see Fuel Trim data. I don't know if the scan tool developers omitted that information or mitsu engineers weren't required to program the live data for such information at the time. I was however able to see injector pulse width at different engine loads and throttle openings.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Google evoscan buy the taxtrix 2.0 of them and download evoscan to your laptop select right cars in evoscan read the codes done. If you have any problems with set up Hamish at evoscan will help you set up

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Google evoscan buy the taxtrix 2.0 of them and download evoscan to your laptop select right cars in evoscan read the codes done. If you have any problems with set up Hamish at evoscan will help you set up
Hi thanks very much for that info; just a dumb question or 2- can I confirm this Taxtrix will read error codes on my 2002 Galant, even though it is Mutt ? based, as someone said above. How does this compare with the Amazon thingo mentioned above. It's a little confusing for one who wants to start using a diagnostic tool for the first time, and looking for a clear recommendation. I bought the elm tool for the Pajero, using the torque app for Android, and its cumbersome to use with all the programming needed for eg just trying to read my transmission temp for towing. and it still doesn't work, even using some "tricks" mentioned by some members for values to use in certain fields. I just want to buy once, correctly. Many thanks for the advice provided.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
If your gallant is a vr4 with the 6a13tt its what we all use and I have for the last 8 years the taxtrix cable reads through evoscan and ecuflash on your laptop you can datalog , read codes, clear them, reflash the ecu tuning wise as for the others plug in stuff that say they read codes and stuff I wouldn't have a clue never had to explore further after evoscan and ecu flash with the taxtrix cable, best thing to do is ask Hamish at evoscan as I only did as I was told,lol .

Rasheid Doctor

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Rasheid
Drive
99 Galant
I have never used the tactrix, but based on what ive read you can read and program mitsubishi's and subaru's primarly(might depend on ecu also). It should work on other vehicles but would require searching for compatible software. The launch EasyDiag is a repair based tool for mostly reading and reseting data from almost any module on a vehicle including immobilizers, transmissions, chassis, engine but not limited to. EasyDiag has all the software for different motor vehicle makes. If your looking to fix a problem or have several makes motor cars get the "EasyDiag Plus". If your looking to squeeze more performance or make adjustments to your ECU for a Mitsubishi primarily then get tactrix.

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
If your gallant is a vr4 with the 6a13tt its what we all use and I have for the last 8 years the taxtrix cable reads through evoscan and ecuflash on your laptop you can datalog , read codes, clear them, reflash the ecu tuning wise as for the others plug in stuff that say they read codes and stuff I wouldn't have a clue never had to explore further after evoscan and ecu flash with the taxtrix cable, best thing to do is ask Hamish at evoscan as I only did as I was told,lol .
Yip, 2002 Vr4 Galant - mostly want to read if there are any error codes to see if car is happy. Is Hamish from a company called Evoscan? What sort of money are we looking at

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Yip, 2002 Vr4 Galant - mostly want to read if there are any error codes to see if car is happy. Is Hamish from a company called Evoscan? What sort of money are we looking at
Yes Hamish owns evoscan and everything you get from him only pay for the taxtrix cable rest is if you would like to donate to his program talk to him he will sort you out. He is in nz so you have to Google him

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
Then if you want your car tuned for better fuel power ect talk to Steve at Tme you don't have to do any mods you can keep it stock it will just get it running better in our climate and on the fuel we have. You would be surprised

Kay

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Kay
Drive
2002 VR4
Then if you want your car tuned for better fuel power ect talk to Steve at Tme you don't have to do any mods you can keep it stock it will just get it running better in our climate and on the fuel we have. You would be surprised
True, I will have to find out when he is next in Brisbane, but I don't want the $900 tune, which seems to be the go for the high performance ones - mine is dead stock at the mo', so should find out what that might be. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom