[Wanted] Ignition Coils

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Any one got a spare set or even just one Ignition Coil they could sell to me at a reasonable price.

I need it fairly quickly. And before anyone asks I've cleaned them already and everything was OK for a while. I've ordered a new set of leads and will be replacing those this coming weekend.

coils.jpg

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Pete, what's happening, are you getting misfire under load?
Your spark plugs are gapped at 0.8, right?
Mine were gapped at 1.0-1.1. After re-gapping them to 0.8 yesterday, the car runs so much better, there's no misfiring and the throttle response has improved so much.

But in regards to ignition coils, you can purchase a single unit from Kempys and they are guaranteed to work. I purchased mine for $140 including postage to Sydney. Or you can buy a set of three for a discounted price of $300 for the lot.

I have a spare ignition coil here, but it would be useless to you because I can't guarantee that it's not faulty or on the way out.

P6040174rrr.jpg

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
The car was misfiring under load so Pete gave the coils a clean as sugested and it was ok for a few days. Then yesterday lt was missing again under load mostly on a uphill slope. Today it's misfiring thru the gears ( manual) and even when traveling at any speed 60,70,80 just splutters almost non stop. we ordered new leads already as well.
We replaced the plugs last year with NGK's iridium plugs they were pregapped at 0.8.
Peter sent an email to Mike @ Kempy's for a delivered price for three coils tonight.
Cheers Mel.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Interesting. See email from Kempy's below.

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:43:01 +1200
Subject: RE: Enquiry from www.kempys.co.nz
To: pldin@hotmail.com

3 coils and Delivery $405.00
Please make sure that is the fault as electrical products are non returnable to make payment please use the following link [URL="http://www.kempys.co.nz/order.htm"]http://www.kempys.co.nz/order.htm[/URL]​

Sent: Friday, 5 June 2009 6:00 a.m
To: Mike Ashton
Subject: RE: Enquiry from www.kempys.co.nz

Mike can you give me a price for 3 delivered. And let me know how you'd like payment

thanks

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Further to this after changing the leads and swapping the MAF over I decided to swap out the coils from my car to Mel's. So I started to disassemble Mel's car ready to finish the swap over in the morning when I thought I'll just check the plugs. Now when I had the car at the mechanics early last week I asked if they'd checked the plugs out and I was told yes. So check this out this is what I found when I pulled out the first plug. I removed this particular plug as the last time I'd removed it there was oil around the main body of the plug but none on the electrode.

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

So you can see that the side electrode is gone completely and the top electrode had snapped in the body. Pretty well stuffed I'd say.

I replaced the plug with a spare I had and so far the car is running OK. I'll keep an eye on it but hopefully I wont have to replace the coil packs after all.

It was still running a little rough so tomorrow I'll swap the MAF back and see if that makes any difference but I doubt it.

Moral of this story is don't always believe what the mechanic says even if they've been extremely helpful in the past. Don't worry I will be going to see him and find out who worked on the car last.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I would be careful, the snapped bit might still be in your cylinder making a mess!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Yeah I thought that. Nothing I can do about it and I'd guess it's long gone by now.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I used a Kincrome Magnet (looks like an antenna) to rescure a coilpack washer from my SR20 once. Was really easy.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'd say that the electrode bit snapped off some time ago as its the same colour as the rest of the plug.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Peter, just out of curiosity.. the car that you used that plugs on.. did it have some sort of Fuel Controller?

if so.. what brand/model and is it tuned?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Hi Pete, I was quoted $300 by Mike at Kempys for a set of three EC5W coils about four weeks ago. I asked if they were guaranteed to work and he said "yes, they are guaranteed".

But seeing that plug, i'd say that's more than likely the cause to your problems.

Try a new plug first then see if this sorts your problems.

G

Unregistered
Hey....I'm a mechanic. Although I am a bit methodical in my ways. I hate having to redo things. I know that some day if I do F*** somebody over that it would be the wrong person and I'd end up with some cement shoes and be dropped off a bridge, lol. Sucks about the spark plug though. I had one in the eclipse that I melted and it made the car sound like it was a wrx. You do have 2 more cylinders than I do. Hope that fixes your issue. The car should correct itself soon if it doesn't I'd say do a compression test in at least that cylinder. You may have bigger issues if the electrode actually messed up the cylinder walls. Does the car run better under boost?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Peter, just out of curiosity.. the car that you used that plugs on.. did it have some sort of Fuel Controller?

if so.. what brand/model and is it tuned?

Quick answer to that is no. Mels car runs about 12 psi boost only.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
The car should correct itself soon if it doesn't I'd say do a compression test in at least that cylinder. You may have bigger issues if the electrode actually messed up the cylinder walls. Does the car run better under boost?

I hope it hasn't stuffed up anything else. To answer your question about "under boost" when I drove it after replacing the plug even a small amount of pressure on the accelerator resulted a very quick response. The car actually felt heaps more responsive and certainly did hammer. But as I said it still felt a bit rough.

G

Unregistered
In my personal case my rings had actually gone and would drive significantly better. I asked one of my instructors about it and he said that the boost would actually push the rings out essentially sealing the cylinder where on normal driving the car would have a nasty misfire. lol I forgot to say in thecase of my spark plug it actually scored the cylinder wall and the exhaust valve on its way out. It ran better but still not perfect. It has to do with me increasing my boost pressure and at higher rpms near cutout cylinder 1 was running so lean it literally melted a piece off the spark plug. It also melted part of the head of the piston.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Geez John that sounds nasty. I've swapped the MAF back to the original and reset the ECU and as Mel put it, "it's purring again".

I'll get the compression in the cylinder tested asap and have the o-ring seal replaced also.

G

Unregistered
Lol, just ended up buying a rvr engine and then regretting it as the rvr engine resembled the 95-96 engine where the crank angle sensor and the cam angle sensor were different. Also just about everything else was diff as well....so had to take off all the other parts from the old motor and put it on this new motor. I should just bought a short block.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Further to this Mel's car has since eaten another plug. The injectors have been removed cleaned, then replaced. The injector and coil pack where the stuffed plug has been eaten up have been moved into the middle and are due to be checked by me this weekend. So as you see we are still trying to trouble shoot the problem.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Could it be running too lean and eating the plugs? Perhaps your fuel pump is dying?

The 6G72 DOHC in my old TR Magna suffered from a misfire under load (more pronounced in the top end) and it turned out to be a combination of bad plugs and the fuel pump getting weak and not pumping enough fuel, thus killing the plugs.

Top Bottom