What Is It??

G

Unregistered
I have seen a few VR4's with them in the engine bay between the radiator and the engine..........no not the thermo fans

The gray box with the spikes slash rods sticking out of it. Seen below

img_0076.jpg

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I'm the same, been wondering what that is since day one.

I can only apply computer terminology & think it's some kind of heatsink or something to dissipate heat, like what you see sitting on top of CPUs & GPUs thesedays...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Pretty strange looking thermostat, I have never seen one like that.

G

Unregistered
As far as I remember it is also a fan speed controller. Our fans don't just go on and off but the speed is varied depending on what the engine requires.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
yer its for the fans,ive got a spare one if anyone for any weird reason ever needs one

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
could it be a resistor pack? I could be wrong..

with my old galant, when i upgraded the radiator into a 7g vr4 type, it came with that too.. but since i couldn't connect that to the factory harness that my car came with i didnt connect it.. so i took it off but the fan just kept running.. but when i connected it some how it ran as normal (turned on when its supposed to and turn off when not needed - even with the A/C)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Could be the thermal type that recieves an input from the cars electrical system as well as sensing the heat surrounding it. Just a guess though.

Top Bottom