What is the problem with RPW?

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
Right, i tried to search for it and no success, if someone can point me in the direction of a thread that answers the question i'll be grateful.

Whats the problem with RPW? half the threads sing their praises, half seem to think they are spawned from the devil himself.....same when i owned a magna. Why? They seem to know their stuff.

Same deal with Allstar, my boss has put nearly $200,000 through them and loves them, but this may be because he has more money than sense ( selling his 2005 audi rs4, $50k of supercharger, brakes and clutch for $120k if anyones interestedo_O)

If anyone could answer this for me it would be great.

edit: and i want to get work done......rpw, alltar, racetorque and cypher are all in the balance

Cheers

Rosco

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It is because the guy is a bit of a dick and is rather difficult to deal with and organise various things. If you are buying just one simple item I'm sure you will be fine, but I wouldn't get an engine built by him.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I don't think any of the threads sing praises. Most of the positive things on here are referring to the fact that the RPW downpipes, as a product, are decent value for money (they could be better, but they're not bad and they don't cost a fortune).

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
as a customer of the two of them and both have tuned my car. take it to allstar. nuff said

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
i wasnt happy with daves customer service but perhaps that day he had alot on his mind.....either way allstar is closer to me anyways :D

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
When you talk to the bloke on the phone he talks to you like you know f--k all and what he says is right. He quoted me $2800 for a Haltech 1000 kit, it got it for $1500 delivered from US. He also ripped off someone 7k to use his car for a dumy install for an ecu now the car is F--ked.

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
ooooooky doke.

So if im buying parts off him it should be ok, just dont expect to get them fitted quickly and dont bother about tuning? Just go to allstar.

Has anyone dealt with racetorque? It was recommended through my uncle as he has dealings with them through the rally world.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
RPW will rip you off silly dude for parts!

As will most places around though. They're hardly out on their own there. And based on the prices similar parts go for around the traps, their front pipes are actually quite decent value.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh some of their online prices are ok. like the front pipes and gizmo boost controllers etc. the tune was shocking in comparison to allstar's, its now a totally different car to drive.

plus hell just try and sell you haltechs which noone else will like

edit: if you buy parts from rpw, probs best to fit them yourself or elsewhere. always happy to lend a hand

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Their front pipes were decent value....at the time.....................now i need to spend a few more 100 to fix the bastard cause it hangs too low below the car and is leaking, in the end i could have just spent the total cost im spending now and got some custom made to suit the car all done properly the first time!!! Fut RPW!!!!

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Rosco what parts are you after? Im sure whatever your after you can find somewhere else at a better price. i've bought heaps of performance parts from the US, usually ship within 4-5 days and cost alot cheaper.

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
Well i just figured out i need a new power steering pump, after some circle work in the recent rain.

Basically im after the 280-300hp mark atw, so want high flow cat and 3 inch exhaust, new cooler and either a haltech...or a flash (gotta check my ecu date first tho)

got the rpw front pipes, hard intercooler piping, tranny cooler, bov and pod already, probably need to replace my turbos, as i think they are leaking ( this is my first turbo car so i have no freakin idea) and i may need new fluid in my ayc, i get the groan....but only when i turn left :S

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Every time I have talked to Dave he seems pretty insightful and it seems he knows what he's talking about. Infact I'm gonna' take my car to RPW for a tune. I've been across a few times to have a chat and when I said my front pipes didn't bolt up 100% he said that he'd knock some money off the tune as compensation. Also showed me some previous dyno sheets and I was pretty happy at the readings.

Allstar have a good rep and I took my car there to get tuned, it ended up that they couldn't do it that they and after talking to the guy and sending a few emails it seems he didn't want to book me in to get work done, unlike at RPW it seemed my business was not very important to him and he didn't wanna' book me in in two weeks time, nor a months time. If they can't be fucked with me then I can't be fucked with them TBH.

Spoken to the dude at Racetorque and he seems pretty cool, I'm gonna' get my Project Mu brake pads and rotors off of him.

I'd like to give Tokyo Motorsports a crack but they are just too damn far away from me! :p Like Racetorque they seem on the ball and more then happy to discuss things as equals.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Is it possible to modify the front pipes so they don't hang too low. I have some but haven't fitted them yet and I'm a little concerned that I have wasted money getting them.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Yeah you can. My exhaust guy/engineer did. He said it needed a bit of mofifying but I know have plenty of clearance.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
when I said my front pipes didn't bolt up 100% he said that he'd knock some money off the tune as compensation.

What??? He offered to knock some money off a tune... grrr.... My front pipes didn't line up and he didn't want to have anything to do with me. He said no one else has complained, so I must have been installing them wrong. How the F do you install front pipes wrong. I ended up taking it to an exhaust place and they had to cut off one flange and reweld it. I sent him photos and requested a discount on my purchase of a Haltech, but he didn't want a bar of it.

Top Bottom