What is the problem with RPW?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Rosco as you can clearly see the guy is a major douch to deal with surely there are other performance shops in your area.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Well i just figured out i need a new power steering pump, after some circle work in the recent rain.

Basically im after the 280-300hp mark atw, so want high flow cat and 3 inch exhaust, new cooler and either a haltech...or a flash (gotta check my ecu date first tho)

got the rpw front pipes, hard intercooler piping, tranny cooler, bov and pod already, probably need to replace my turbos, as i think they are leaking ( this is my first turbo car so i have no freakin idea) and i may need new fluid in my ayc, i get the groan....but only when i turn left :S

if you want the power, first thing to do is not put the pod or bov on. if you have the correct ecu get that reflashed as its the best option.not too sure about turbos leaking. how many k's has the car done? if you dont want to import and exhaust and youre looking for a local place for a custom exhaust a lot of us have been to autotainment in burswood. speak to glen, the car sounds brilliant and he welds good n shit

if you are getting a haltech the general consensus is to only get an interceptor (or miniceptor) as many people have troubles with haltechs (talk to some tuners about this). in this case its a far cheaper option to get one second hand, there have been a few going through here for sale for a LOT cheaper than new.. Ive talked to a few different places to get my car retuned and theyve all said a reflash is preferable (a flashable ecu from NZ is cheaper than a haltech anyway) and the reason intune performance and rpw will try to sell you a haltech is because they make bigger margins on them, not because of their tuning ability.

If i were you id talk to the guys at allstar about your options and theyll point you in the right direction. (i went to rpw because i stupidly thought they were the only people who really knew vr4's at the time-also my first turbo car)

@Lachlan-the difference between my car now (from allstar) and from when it came back from rpw is incredible. the car is so much nicer to drive and all who have driven it (my housemates mainly) have agreed. its so much smoother and everything just feels right.

when it came back from the first tune i was impressed because the power difference was so big but the car never really felt the same as it did stock. it was a lot more lumpy, and was very sluggish down low, felt very lazy. The guys at allstar thought that rpw had tuned it too lean down low. The car is brilliant now, feels stock but with the added power. its so smooth and revs much more cleanly. it doesnt feel quite as fast as after the rpw tune but that could well be simply because im so used to it (i can still scare others, just not myself), either way id take the right feeling car and tune over an arguably smaller amount of power.

just my 2c after experiencing both, im not trying to give either company a bad rep or saying anything about the owners but purely as a review of their products/services. rpw gave me a piece of paper to sign saying its not their fault if my car blows on the dyno and allstar gave me the keys to their daily liberty to get me home for the day, my girlfriend didnt have to drive me there and back

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
Yeh i bought it with a hks pod and some bov on it... its got 125000km on it. Uncle says a leakdown test might be a good idea before i turn up the snails. Anyrate i gotta get my power steering sorted first, i cant park the bloody thing. Anyone know of any power steering pumps in WA? and if its a diy job or not? Im mechanically minded but im no mechanic

Rpw quoted $1000 for the exhaust and cat fitted, i have no idea if thats cheap or not

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
madhav got his exhaust done at rpw and they welded the stock tip onto it-looked pretty terrible really. you should be able to find cheaper easilly. i think lachlan went somewhere recently and got a really good deal. im sure hell say where when he reads this tomorrow morning the forum whore.

i paid 950 at autotainment for two resonators, magnaflow muffler and magnaflow cat but im sure you can do better

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I paid $850 to get a high flow cat, exhaust and clean sounding muffler on my VR4, so $1000 I'm sure you can find something better over that side of the world. You might even be able to find someone to make up some better fitting front pipes?

I had RPW ones on and they banged on the bottom of my car fairly often, and Emmanuel got some made up by another work shop and was very happy with the product.

So just because one company already has them made up, doesn't exactly mean that they're the best or anything! Most shops should be able to sort out something for you, and you'll probably get a good package deal from them! So shop around! If a shop doesn't make them themselves, they'll have a supplier who does it, and if you get a full exhaust + dump/fronts you'll probably be able to work out a very good price
Example of VR4: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....h-downpipes-(From-Windsor-Exhaust-in-Richmond)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
My RPW pipes would indeed shit me if I lowered my car more. As it is, however, it's as low as it's going to go - my driveway is the limiting factor. So unless I'm really careless, the RPW pipes don't hit speedbumps and stuff.

Consider how low you plan to take the car along with other factors like cost and convenience.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hehe my car wasn't low, but the pipes would bang on the under-floor of the car, ended up reshaping the area which they sat! Because they weren't the right size it was a tight fit for them.. So when I got my exhaust done, they fixed all that up for me!

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Same here - RPW front pipes hit the under-floor, not funny at all... Dave told me the same story: I'm the first one ever who had those problems!!! Haha, told him that he won't see me again...

He fucked up Madhavs Leggy, x17x Legnum was pouring tranny oil on my driveway after RPW installed the down pipes on his car (f*** who knows how this could happen) - they asked for $100 to fit them, all other workshops quoted me <$50!

The dyno sheets he showed you were probably of Madhavs car, but be aware this wasn't an ECU flash! Apart from Allstars, the only place I would give my ECU to is Tokyo Motorsports.

There were a few WA guys who got their exhausts from a place in Belmont I think, check the WA thread for it... (just saw that Dan mentioned it already)

BUT to be honest with you Rosco, before you look into any upgrades, get your stock Leggy serviced and fixed! AYC service every 10k, tranny oil every 10k & engine oil every 5tkm is the minimum you need to do... I haven't done mine for about 16tkm - it was pitch black! As Dan said already, get rid of the pod if you don't have a cold air intake and before you upgrade your auto, you may want to get your wavespring done before too.

Finally, Allstar - ok, but it seems to me they have to many customers already and aren't keen anymore to do work on VR-4's - Tokyo Motorsports did my big service 2 weeks ago, they 100% know their stuff, its a nice and tidy workshop, they packed all the parts that came of the car into a box in the boot, gave me all left over fluids back (even 150ml Diff oil) - so yes I'll go back to them.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Kermit is the guy to speak to if you want exhaust sorted, hes fixing my RPW pipes next week... depends if your NOR or SOR?

A side not my front pipes used to hit under the floor where they passed through aswell!!! Was told im the first person to complain about them aswell!!!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah stay away from rpw, they wired up my haltech wrong and destroyed my gearbox and offered no compensation. Very dishonest IMO.

Rosco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ross
Drive
96 Legnum vr4 Triptronic
im in west leedy so im in the middle. Sounds like a no deal for rpw then.

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
Woah, lots of bad feedback...! They have to be doing something right to be staying in business??

I checked out their product listings a few years back and almost keeled over at some of the prices. Sure, most of the stuff was custom items, but if you know where to look and latch onto a half decent fabricator/engineer in your area (and have patience) you wont have a problem letting your hard earned cash go to someone who knows what they are doing and can give you quality for your money.....

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Ridiculous prices don't seem to be an impediment to lasting success in the world of Mitsubishis though...

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I know alot of the Lancer kids buy RPW extractors and CAI kits, maybe thats their bread and butter

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Last time I went there he had two Evos and a GTO in the workshop. Just sayin...

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Maybe they wont be going back either after their experience

Top Bottom