Which Filter?

G

Unregistered
Ive been looking at after market flat panel filters for our airboxes was going to get K & N till me mate told me that they are shit and dont filter properly. He then downloaded me a whole heap of stuff to read, now im thinking that UNI filter maybe the way to go as they seem to have still good flow and filter alot better, according to the test results on their web site the cotton gauze filter like K & N dont even filter as well as paper, flow better but let more crap through, what you think? The article was bigger than this but couldn't work out to attach a PDF file so just scaned this part.

img001.jpg

G

Unregistered
Not according to UNI filter, the flow is almost the same as K&N or cotton gauze but it filters down to 4 micron.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
You need to find an independent result from a test like a magazine. Of course each manufacturer will say their product is better than XYZ

I use K&N on my Legnum and my race car, never had a problem with either
My compressor wheel (on my race car) is fine after 8000km of solid work on the track and off. Depends on what you are willing to put up with. The K&N doesn't flow as much as others like UNI filter, but filters better. I've seen the result of a unifilter from a previous Australian car mag test (zoom) and i wouldn't touch a unifilter...funnily enough i'm now using K&N. Probably something in that.

If you're really concerned, buy both, put a small amount of vaseline just after the filter in the inlet pipe and have a look at it after a week or so. Then chuck the worst one.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got the ralliart one in my ST-R and the car seems to go fairly well. Not sure how well it does or doesn't filter, but being a proper mitsi part I can't imagine it is that bad

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Synthetic filters are able to provide better filtration and increased flow. The trick is finding one that'll fit. Amsoil now do some but I'm yet to find out if I can get one that actually fits.

You're right about the K&N filters, though - I've read a couple of lab tests (some I posted about here) comparing different filters for both airflow and filtration and the K&N's were rubbish - they let through huge amounts of fine grit that a paper filter will block easily. As I've said on the topic in a number of other threads, the difference in performance you'll get as a result of running NO filter compared with the stock paper filter is between five and ten HP, and only at the top end of the rev range where you'll never even see it. The ONLY reason I can see for changing your air filter is to IMPROVE filtration for no loss in airflow compared with the stock paper filter, or if you can improve both filtration AND airflow then of course that's better. But trading engine wear (from contaminants) for increased airflow in an area that isn't a bottleneck in the first place is insanity.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the reason why I got the ralliart was that I was hoping for a bit of induction noise, and that it can be cleaned and reused, unlike the stock paper ones

G

Unregistered
Just get a pod ... I had a 200sx with a pod on it for 6 years with no problems ...

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
induction noise with a panel? What like?

G

Unregistered
i imagine nothing, noise would be same as stock.

G

Unregistered
I get no induction noise with my Blitz Sonic Pod so I doubt very much a panel filter will make any noise ...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Bump

So what is the best panel filter to go for? HKS, Ralliart, K&N, ect? Also can we get standard ones from any automotive store? What is the stock filter part no?

Cheers guys

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Macca, please try to use the search function, as for which one, personally I use the HKS Hybrid, but thats me, everyone has their own thoughts

Search is your friend......................................

Air Filter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MR529773 . . . . $92.20

Ralliart Replacement Panel Air Filter . . . . . . . . RA266849K1
K&N Replacement Panel Air Filter. . . . . . . . . . . KN-33-2794
Ryco Replacement Panel Air Filter . . . . . . . . . . A1408

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
:oops: My bad, I usually use the search, just thought it might be good to get all the info in the one spot with the a thread title that could cover all air filter related opinions and options.;)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Roger that, I have looked a few things up there previously. Hey just a question on your HKS filter, how easy is it to get new foam and how much is the foam?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
That I can't tell you Macca, haven't needed to replace it yet, but I believe it would be easy to get the replacement filter as long as you have the part #

I'll see what I can find out and get back to you...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Cool, think I might just have to get a ryco one for the new airbox and look into the aftermarket filters a little more for later.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
ive been told you just clean the HKS ones with compressed air. not sure about replacing it though

G

Unregistered
The HKS hybrid panel filter can be had from eBay for AU$77 including express delivery, mine came overnight. So it's one of the more affordable options. I haven't found anyone offering the foam separately yet.

Top Bottom