Wild Boost

G

Unregistered
Picked my vr4 up from QLD and drove it back to Melb no problems on 0.5 bar boost. (was pulled over 7 times due to the absence of plates!!)

its recently boosting as it pleases when I plant my foot until what i presume is a fuel cut at about 1.2bar. Any ideas?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Most likely due to having half your boost controller missing as you mentioned in your other thread.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
checked your vaccum hoses and boost soleniod for leaks?

edit, just realsied who you are, im with Rob on this one

G

Unregistered
half boost controller was missing all the way from qld but boost was consistant......

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
vacuum line to your wastegates somehow disconnected?

wosbwm

Crunching Gears
First Name
Wayne
Drive
legnum VR4 Type S, Challenger LS, Magna Wagon, Mercedes E Class, XE Fairmont Wagon S-Pac, Renault Megane
Can faulty wastegate also cause these problems?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
If the controller is missing it will just run stock boost so if it is boosting wildly like that id say a hose, maybe the one feeding the solenoid from the wastegate actuator is leaking/has come off.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
If the controller is missing it will just run stock boost so if it is boosting wildly like that id say a hose, maybe the one feeding the solenoid from the wastegate actuator is leaking/has come off.

This.... Its the only logical answer, unless the boost controller itself is going haywire

G

Unregistered
My boost has returned to normal, boosting to .5 bar. I seemed to have fixed it by turning the EVC power switch on then randomly fiddling with all the switches I could find.....

I'm am now suffering from boost withdrawal symptoms. The engine feels constipated when I put the pedal to the metal!

Need to get that EVC display/controller!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
$30 boost controller off ebay and you can run 14psi all day long :)

I had to put my boost back to stock for a couple weeks, it felt like I had pulled out my turbos, it sucked

G

Unregistered
so much noise and so little output! it sucks ass.

Is 14psi all day long safe?........................i hope so...............as they say: once you go black, you cant go back.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
don't we lose our turbo's efficiency when we run past 14psi?! 12psi's more than enough to scare the hell out of your passenger, so why ask for more?! :D

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am aiming for 1 bar next week and that should be well and truly enough.

AFAIK, they are still making technically effecient boost at around a bar. People like Brad and Lee can answer that as they both are running around 1.2 bar full time. Correction, Lee has a switch to run two levels.

Top Bottom