Windscreens

blackheart

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Blackie
Drive
Mitsubishi Verada KJII 2003
Anyone actually had to replace their windscreen ?

...and of course who and how much ?

I've got auction cars with windscreen cracks etc which will have to be replaced before Blue Slip / RWC. and need to know how much to add to my import budget.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
This has been covered already, but here in NSW I've had my windscreen replaced by Windscreens O'Brien no problems.

Think it's normally $430. I paid $200 though due to them stuffing up a crack repair job.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Cold spec

I have a cold climate spec car with heating elements built into the windscreen. Is it possible to get a replacement windscreen with the heating elements?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I have a cold climate spec car with heating elements built into the windscreen. Is it possible to get a replacement windscreen with the heating elements?

Most unlikely and it would add a large additional cost. I believe O'Brien's can supply Legnum (not sure about the Galant's, are the screens the same) screens fairly easily.

You should ALWAYS request a evaluation for a repair before you opt for a replacement. It's heaps cheaper and the repairs are virtually invisible.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Thought not re cold spec wiper heating elements at the bottom of windscreen. They are useful on those frosty mornings when the car ices over, but not essential. What about the tint along the top of the screen - it seems to be built into the glass?

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Do you Aussie guys ever have your cars frost over if you leave them out over night? Happened to me a couple of times last winter - really annoying when you're running late for work, and you have to defrost the car. Cold spec features like the windscreen heating elements, larger battery and alternater to crank the cold engine and wing mirror demisters are helpful. Am guessing this might happen in OZ too, if you lived in Canberra for example.

PS apologies for thread hi-jack - ignore this question if you want!

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
in winter this happens. All it takes is to quickly wipe over the windows and mirrors with a rag though.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Thought not re cold spec wiper heating elements at the bottom of windscreen. They are useful on those frosty mornings when the car ices over, but not essential. What about the tint along the top of the screen - it seems to be built into the glass?

I was gonna say that you prob would never use them. But I just recalled a time when I was staying in Mudgee in winter, I remember being bloody cold all night and in the morning when I got up the car was covered in frost. Never had that problem in Brisbane though.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Not living in a cold area I haven't much of a problem apart from the one already mentioned. Would throwing a tarp or something like that over the front of the car make much of a difference.
When I lived back in Penrith and the hose would freeze I'd just use some warm water and pour it over the all the glass.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
When I lived back in Penrith and the hose would freeze I'd just use some warm water and pour it over the all the glass.

:eek:

That's a good way to crack your glass...

Always use COLD water. If you use water that's too warm it will give the glass way too much thermal shock.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
The VR-4's engine heats up the car's windscreen washer bottle very quickly, so what I'd sometimes do is remote start the car from the house, get it warming up and then when I got to the car the the heated water from the windscreen washers would cut thru the iced windscreen with ease.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
:eek:

That's a good way to crack your glass...

Always use COLD water. If you use water that's too warm it will give the glass way too much thermal shock.

Aware of that. I did say warm. More like luke warm, but not cold. I did use tap water once and it worked nicely till it froze also.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Aware of that. I did say warm. More like luke warm, but not cold. I did use tap water once and it worked nicely till it froze also.

Yes, I suppose you'd have to make sure it was able to melt the ice and not make it thicker! LOL

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
yea had mine replaced $260 back in august last year apparently was hard to find one then may be easier now

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Am guessing this might happen in OZ too, if you lived in Canberra for example.

PS apologies for thread hi-jack - ignore this question if you want!

Yeah I am glad I got a cold area spec Legnum. I garage my car anyway, so I don't really get too much of a problem. Global Warming probably helps too, I am sure it hasn't gotten as cold here over the past couple of years....

Hey Peter_D, is that why you moved to queensland ? ;)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just bumping this up..

I'm located in Brisbane and what's the best place to get hold of a windscreen? and most importantly how much?!

thanks HEAPS fellas..

blackheart

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Blackie
Drive
Mitsubishi Verada KJII 2003
I rang O'Briens.....their quote for Coffs Harbour NSW was $356 fitted Guarantee...59 minute drying glue.

I imagine that there is a freight cost involved from a major City ie Sydney / Brisbane to North coast NSW.

So if your in Brisbane it should be cheaper......:ROFLMAO:

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Bringing something back from the dead, I have the cold spec windscreen and the switch but no light comes on when i push the button, would they have disconnected it at compliance?

Cheers

Top Bottom