Work Equip Refurbish

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I picked up some old Work Equip Anhelos for a good price that I'm going to fix up. Sizes are as follows;

Front: 17x8 +32
Rear: 17x9 +33

This is how they looked one I bought them (after I had the tyres removed anyway)
11129462716_095e762092_c.jpg

11129610763_7a6411f84d_c.jpg

11129605383_ca64ec6066_c.jpg

I spent today just pulling them apart so they currently sit like this
11129487614_ba9d12fd8d_c.jpg

11129485014_bd9806ae1f_c.jpg

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
The part of the refurb I was dreading the most was restoring the assembly bolts. They had plastidip on them, so I didn't have much of an idea as to what they were going to look like underneath.

Today I pulled the plastidip off a couple of the bolts to check it out and this is how they were like, with no polishing except for wiping it on my tshirt
11129490344_1d80da3e7d_c.jpg

So I was pretty happy to find how the bolts were. I might just get some jewelry polish to give them a really bright finish.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a drill or grinder to the barrels with a wire brush head to get rid of all the silicone and crap. The inside of the barrels are also pretty pitted, so they'll need a sand down as well.

I plan on having the centres and lips powder coated. I'm leaning towards a matte bronze/brown that the Meisters come in much like this (photo is of SSR Professors);
cache%2Fphotos%2F2546Ze4d0a89c1f%2Flisting_893_1_large.jpg

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Probably a month or so and they'll be ready to reassemble.

G

Unregistered
Will the offset sizes cause any problems for your diff or transfer?

I hope not because those look bad ass.

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
As long as the rolling diameter doesn't change, otherwise you can prematurely wear the centre diff as the front an rears are constantly fighting each other.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
I'm running the same tyres on all four. The change in diameter caused by the stretch on the rear wheels will only be marginal.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Not a whole lot done today, experimented with a few things.

Cleaned the inside of the barrels with some de-greaser and wheel cleaner so I could handle them without getting dirty hands.

Had a crack at stripping the silicone off one of the barrels using a drill and wire brush attachment. I only did one wheel as I'm waiting to hear back from a powdercoater on the extra cost of getting the barrels done as well. If it's on a per wheel basis (ie. lip and center costs same as lip, center and barrel) I'll just get them to sandblast and coat the lot. Saves me doing shitty jobs like this.

Anyway, before and after photo:
11147291886_3d3e51a161_c.jpg

I also grabbed some metal polish and started polishing the bolts, I started late in the day so only got through a couple dozen
Before and after:
11147381944_b8fb5fa2e0_c.jpg

Only about 100 more of them to go!

Depending on what the powdercoater says, the bulk of my work may just be polishing the bolts and removing the heavy curb rash.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Do you have a bench grinder. If you do you can put buffing/polishing pads on a special spindle. It will save you loads of time.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Do you have a bench grinder. If you do you can put buffing/polishing pads on a special spindle. It will save you loads of time.

Nope, I live in a first floor apartment, so I'm doing all this on my balcony.

For polishing I chucked the bolt in a drill and held a polishing cloth to it. I might grab a polishing pad for the drill though.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Not much to update this with atm, still polishing bolts when I get the chance. But I managed to get a moment to get all the old silicone off the wheels. This is how they currently stand

11261824543_66105f85f0_c.jpg

I'm going to sand them down up to about 400grit as I'm then getting them sand blasted. Sanding is mainly to fix some of the rash and clean them up a bit better so there's less work for the powdercoaters.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
What was the deal with the silicon? were they leaking air inbetween the pieces?

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
After you bolt three piece wheels up, you gotta run a line or two of silicone along the join to stop air leaking out. Danny just used a lot of silicone!

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Everything I've read thus far suggests it is. All the tutorials and videos show people cutting silicone to strip them and reapplying it afterwards.

Eg. http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26614

Mine our a little bit different than those, I need two lines or one thicker line of silicone as the center is clamped between the lip and barrel as opposed to in front of the lip and barrel, so there's two joins under the tyre.

Metal on metal doesn't seal very well, especially for air unless there's a gasket or seal of some sort.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Wet rubbed the pitting out of the barrels today, the rest will be taken care of by the sand blast.

Before
11379030526_d969a755fd_c.jpg

After
11379012395_6d9039d17b_c.jpg

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
These are going to look tops when finished.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Dropping these off at the powdercoaters this week. I expect to get them back late in the week, or early next week.

I decided to go for satin (as opposed to matte or gloss) black instead of brown/bronze. Centers and all, with polished bolts. I figured the bronze might be a bit of a risk with colour matching and I didn't want to get stuck with a really bright bronze as I don't particularly like that.

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
I'm no expert but all the 3 piece rims I have dealt with have the two rim halves bolted together and then the centre is bolted on either in front or behind the rim join.

In otherwords I'm pretty sure the centre doesn't go between the two rim halves.

Have you trialled fitted them yet - I am looking at a set of rims now with the same size - 17x8 +32 - but was concerned they would stick out too far.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Quick google image search tells me the centre sits between the barrels for Anhelos. Flat centre lip may also accomodate reverse mount.

Depends on the wheel and manufacturer i.e. the centre lip for a vs-xx can be front mounted only.

Thread that's discussed fitment to death is here :)

Top Bottom