wraith73 aka Steve // Perth - WA

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
Hi. I only bought my 1996 Legnum (auto) yesterday. I had never heard of the Legnum until I saw it in a car yard, & it was love at first sight. I've owned Magnas & Veradas in the past, but so far, the Legnum is heaps better. Haven't had it long enough to make sure everything works on it yet!

G

Unregistered
Heya Steve, welcome to the forums. Congrats on the purchase.

The VR4s certainly do have that impression on people :) Many of us have gone the same Magna to VR4 route, myself included. Where abouts did you buy the car from? I'm sure if you give it a thorough going over and service it should be fine, if you do run into any problems or issues feel free to ask on these forums, there are some very knowledgable people who are willing to help :)

Be sure to check out the WA section for upcoming events, we should be having a meet/cruise soon and it will great to have new members.

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
I bought it from a yard down in Rockingham. Bit of a drive considering I live in the northern suburbs. Since I first saw it, I've been seeing them everywhere. Well, at least 2 others up this way. Gotta wash & polish it so I can get some pics. Between work & 2 kids, I don't have much time for anything!

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
This one's off to a great start. I'm stuck on the side of Wanneroo Rd waitn for a tow truck. Looks like brake calliper has sheared or just lost a bolt & the calliper is now jammed against the rim. Bad omen?

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
That's gotta suck balls doesn't it?

It didn't cause an accident or anything bad did it?

Scott

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Luckily not. Made bucket loads of noise & made it to a bus stop before it locked up. Had my 2 young ones in here so glad it didn't lock up at speed.

G

Unregistered
Hi. I only bought my 1996 Legnum (auto) yesterday. I had never heard of the Legnum until I saw it in a car yard, & it was love at first sight.

They have a habit of making people do that!

Welcome, and sorry to hear about your brake problem. Hopefully it's easily sorted out, will be a good idea to get a decent inspection done on the other corners too.

I wonder if someone has had Brembos on there perhaps, and then has swapped the standard factory ones back in to sell it? Normally all those bolts under there are done up tight as hell and can be a bugger to get off even when you want to.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Welcome to the forum, Steve!

What colour is yours? I hope it's not silver =)

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
welcome to the forums dude and bad luck about the break issue, hopefully it doesnt cost you too much to get it fixed

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
It was a big change from the TS Magna to VR4 Legnum, let's put it this way. Welcome to OZVR4 and we'll see you back on the road soon :)

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Nope... she's white. I was looking at a silver '99 model at the same yard, but chose the older white one. Think the wheels convinced me. And the sunroof. The silver one looked OK but the wheels looked... tacky (see pic from Carsales).

12986926.jpg

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
I started out with a TR 4cyl, then KR Verada, then a Commodore. Wanted a change (plus the Commodore was getting a bit worn out), so went around looking at sports cars. With my bad back, it was almost impossible for me to get in & out. I sat in a 300zx & was in pain for about a week. At least with the VR4, I got my sports car & I can also cart the kids around!

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Your Leggy was already on sale when I bought mine, I remember those wheels... it was about $16k that time, how much did you pay? I'm not quite sure but I think I saw it a bit later in February for 12k.

So there are 3 silver arrows then =)

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yep... paid $11990. The silver one was 13990. Still is according to Carsales, but the normal price is $16k (normal price for mine was 14k). Considering that mine is still listed on Carsales, I'd say they're not too efficient at updating!

Gave it a polish today. Came up pretty good except for the front bumper. Previous owner not very good at matching paint colour so bumper is very patchy. The grill is a bit loose, too, with one side held on with a cable tie. You always spot these things after you buy the car. Still can't help but drive with a smile!!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Welcome to the site Steve and congrats on the new car. I'm up this way too, so keep your eyes peeled for my black Legnum ;)

So what's the verdict on the calliper?

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Caliper is fine. It's all working good now & I drove it to work for the first time today. Secure parking so I could breathe a little easier. Damage to rim is superficial & hasn't affected the ride. Lucky also cos when I was in the process of fixing it, I found out the wheel brace didn't fit my nuts cos they were too close to the rim. Somehow that didn't sound right. Anyway, now I carry a socket set with me all the time cos I don't wanna get stuck on the side of the road waiting for roadside assistance again!!!

I saw a black Legnum a few weeks ago turning on to Wanneroo Rd from Reid Hwy. Not sure it it was your one. That was a couple of days after I put a deposit down on mine.

G

Unregistered
Was there any way of telling if the bolt had sheared off or had just come loose and fallen out?

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
The thread on the caliper looked fine & no other obvious signs of shearing so I'm fairly certain it just wasn't tightened up when the brakes were last done. The new bolt went in & tightened up so it definitely wasn't de-threaded or anything.

G

Unregistered
A cheap torque wrench will be helpful on this kind of stuff and give you peace of mind. A little bit of Loctite wouldn't hurt either. But don't use the crazy locking stuff, usually just something mild like screw lock is fine. The blue Permatex Medium Strength Threadlocker is what I use.

G

Unregistered
i lent my car to a customer whom brought it back on friday with the same problem,small world,looks like a common fault maby?

Top Bottom