Dreadednock on turning

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Dreaded knock on turning

Hi all as the heading states, my leggie has developed a knock when the car is stationary and you turn the steering wheel to the left and back. Only seems to happen when the car is cold:confused: . I got under the car on the weekend and checked for play in the upper/lower control arms/balljoints but nothing moved. Only other area I didnt really check was the steering rack. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Gary

tiv

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
XF Falcon
Hrrrrm something sounds familiar but I'm l slightly paranoid now so what can i say

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Tie rod and tie rod ends. First place that i would look. Doubt it would be the rack itself.

Does it happen when say, going up a driveway etc?

Do you have coilovers?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Could have sworn mine did this the other day, and i have coilovers as you say. In fact my car balances on two wheels as i transition from road to driveway so may be it was more wheel hitting the ground again but pretty sure i heard a knock regardless.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
My coilovers clunk a bit as the coil sort of "binds" not sure what is going on there but some coilovers are just freaking noisy bastards.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
I have tien adustable suspension but it is not coming from there. When you sit in the car it feels like it is coming from under your feet area. I dont know where to look other than the obvious areas.

Gary

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
is it a tick-tick-tick sound when you turn and the sound goes faster?

or is it a creaking sound like what's posted on the other thread?

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
is it a tick-tick-tick sound when you turn and the sound goes faster?

or is it a creaking sound like what's posted on the other thread?

Neither, sorry to be so vague but from what I have read here I would swear it was the ball joint area but everything checks out fine, thats why I am so confused. Looks like its off the the steering/suspension people.

tiv

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
XF Falcon
I'd really say it the ball joints purely cause you said it feels like its coming from under your feet and thats what mine felt like. Plus mine only started off on turning and got progressively worst dramatically only with in about a week before my ball joint failed

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks paul, thats what I think it may be but wil not know until I cant get it checked by the "professionals"

Gary

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Mate the professionals will not be able to tell you any more.
Do us this and do it now;
Change your lower control arms before they SNAP while your driving and you KILL YOURSELF.
This is exactly what happened to tiv (symptoms, noise, feel everything) and he's lucky he's still here today.

Please don't take this lightly but there's no excuse for not changing them, and then when they snap and your $1500 in the down from panel beaters tow truck drivers and mechanics, you would of wished you changed them earlier.
Tivs doing his now as we speak, and he didn't pay THAT MUCH for them. Small price to pay to have assurance your not driving a death trap.
Tiv was told by a "professional" (through no fault of his own) that it was lower control arm bush's. Look what happened to him.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Jesus people....Stop cheapening out with this chinese shit your car is relying on so it doesnt basically fall apart.
tiv will upload pictures of his 14 month old chinese lower control arm ball joint boot - lawlz - its shagged after only 14 months.
He only paid $150 per lower arm for OEM ones...cheap price to pay to know your car wont implode on itself.

Your choice, buy the cheap crap chinese ones and risk your life with them, or fork out some extra dosh for quality parts that'll guarantee it's good to go for a lot longer then with the chinese ones.

I have never understood how people with such exquisite car's, cheap out on parts at any chance they can get. Sorry but if you want to risk your life and buy cheap chinese parts, buy a VT commodore.

I dont mind buying certain chinese things like sway bar links - they wont cause the car to veer off the highway and into a tree. these however...will...
take it as you wish folks!

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
How do you know which ones are the bad quality ones? Granted the one on your friends car was a bad one and shouldn't be used but implying that all aftermarket lower arms are of equally shitty quality is a bit broad.

Having said that i don't know how you would tell how good the quality is with any aftermarket part other than relying on a brand name which are normally more expensive than oem anyway.

What i'm getting at is, is there any aftermarket ones which are cheaper than oem that will work cos oem always rip you off just because tey can

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Jesus people....Stop cheapening out with this chinese shit your car is relying on so it doesnt basically fall apart.
tiv will upload pictures of his 14 month old chinese lower control arm ball joint boot - lawlz - its shagged after only 14 months.
He only paid $150 per lower arm for OEM ones...cheap price to pay to know your car wont implode on itself.

Your choice, buy the cheap crap chinese ones and risk your life with them, or fork out some extra dosh for quality parts that'll guarantee it's good to go for a lot longer then with the chinese ones.

I have never understood how people with such exquisite car's, cheap out on parts at any chance they can get. Sorry but if you want to risk your life and buy cheap chinese parts, buy a VT commodore.

I dont mind buying certain chinese things like sway bar links - they wont cause the car to veer off the highway and into a tree. these however...will...
take it as you wish folks!

Okay Paul, you can get off your soap box now I think we all understand your feelings. Is it possible to replace the ball joint or is it better to get the complete LCA? What are the part numbers and price for the genuine LCA's?

Gary

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Gary, you need the whole arm. The part numbers are in the parts thread I believe or in the other thread regarding these. The price for the originals are around the 200 ea mark.

Paul, are you 100% sure that your friend was running the worldsuspension products? If not, please don't bag their product and unnecessarily scare people off from using them.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
the ball joints on these LCA's are embedded.. they're not like those where you can unbolt then replace.. I've looked into alternatives and have had no luck at all.. :(

Top Bottom