Dreadednock on turning

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Okay Paul, you can get off your soap box now I think we all understand your feelings. Is it possible to replace the ball joint or is it better to get the complete LCA? What are the part numbers and price for the genuine LCA's?

Gary
if you dont shove something as important as this down someones moniter it won't sink in.
Genuine LCA's cost tiv around $150 each arm which is actually pretty cheap considering the price of 2 new bush's and a new ball joint being pressed into an old arm. (even though you cant, just using it for comparative purposes)

Nope - cannot confirm what LCA's he was using, however if you want to risk using a chinese made LCA (regardless of who is selling them) be my guest, there is a big difference in paying $200 for a complete set of lower suspension components compared to $200 for one made in japan.

Unless the worldsuspension ones are made in japan which I highly doubt.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Well the good news is that is definetly not the ball joints. Had a look today with the "professionals" and there is not movement at all however there is a slight bit of play in the steering rack which is where it is coming from. That would exlpain why is is not so noticable when the car warms up.

Gary

casuarina26

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Phil
Drive
2010 Skoda Octavia vRS 125TDI, 02 Hyundai Elantra
Galant was been Sold
Could also be your CV joint? if it only happens when you turn to the left then back to the centre.

rbert30

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Robert
Drive
1998 Vr-4 Legnum
Okay so Ive got a similar knocking sound coming from what seems too be under my feet. Where I live is relatively flat and It never seems to make the noise locally. Driving around Adelaide though, at low speeds going into driveways, carparks etc, it make the knocking sound alot and pretty consistent too. Ive had the car checked over by "professionals" and he couldnt find anything. Ive had the tie rods replaced recently. Also noteworthy that I get a slight vibration during constant high speed cornering eg: the freeway. No idea what springs and shocks were fitted. I bought it lowered from an import yard. They are bright green so my guess is Tien. Any help would be appreciated.
Rob

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I am getting a similar sound but it's more of a squeaking/creaking than a knock.

It's most noticable turning normally, started about 2-3 weeks ago. It also occurs sometimes as load shifts accelerating/de-celerating but more predictably when turning. Also does it stationary left to right.

Took it to someone yesterday who suspects it's either the upper balljoint (above the tyre) or the strut top but thinks its more likely the former - based on listening/feeling while I was turning it around as well as listening/testing while driving. Going to strip it down this week/next week to confirm.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
revival here.
last week went for a "spirited" drive up the mountains and about two days after that i get a knock when going over speedhumps. it has now escalated to slow speed (carpark) maneouvering mostly on the left but does sometimes happen on the right. its definitley a knock and you can feel it under your feet.

going to check it out at work on monday...sound like ball joints anyone??? have replaced tie rod ends and have no movement there...

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Hi all.
Recently had the same experience with my Galant. After some problems with my Taiwanese G4/D2 coilovers ceasing (exactly 1 week after the 12mth warranty period) and being stuck really low and tight to the ground for another couple mths, I started hearing knocking noises on turning out of driveways etc etc.

Turns out after a visit to the "professionals" the top bushes of the struts are worn out and are knocking under pressure.
Worth checking out! Look for the nut that holds them down at the top being close to the aluminium part, or bits of rubber coming off at the top everytime you open the bonnet. Not sure how dangerous it was, but wasnt willing to take chances, so am now back with the more comfortable stock suspension. A little high, but I now aim for the speed humps and pot holes! :)

Top Bottom