ECU Flash for VR4

chocco

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Christian
Drive
1999 FL Galant VR4 with MMCS
Already done the o2 sensor with a new bosch unit. I will be doin plugs and COP kit over the xmas holidays
so that could be the issue. The plugs have broken down over the few months Iv owned the car now and it
does miss just under .7 bar was previously strong at 1.2 bar but eh. Im not going out of my way to do plugs
now and then a COP kit in a months time so Ill put up with it till then.

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
Hey anyone have any guides or tuts on tuning or looking at current maps installed? I have ECUFlash and Evoscan Do we recommend anything else?

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
"Do we recommend anything else? "
Yup, an EGT, boost and AFR gauge.
After tune-up You can sell last two.

nabassu

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Maciek
Drive
VR-4 TypeS
Regarding the software, You must have map definitions, and you are basicly ready to go.
Also google "merlin ecu" something.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Read this thread as a start and have a search around the forum. It's a well trodden path and has already been discussed at length.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Whats wrong with ECUFlash? It's pretty good considering the software is free with the openport.

MMCFlash is the other alternative (for reflashing only, not editing rom/maps)... still need an a cable like the Openport for it.

You'll also need the XML definitions for ECUFlash to work.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The definitions aren't free, they will come at a cost to compensate those who created them.

G

Unregistered
I am looking at MMCFlash for my 7201 97 PFL. Is there a guide on that?

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
I am looking at MMCFlash for my 7201 97 PFL. Is there a guide on that?

youll still need to edit the Rom in ecuflash or romraider.

Just when you go to reflash, you open the edited Rom in mmcflash and flash it from there.

G

Unregistered
So you cant just pull your rom like ecuflash, edit it and re write it all in one?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Since when? All mine have been free.

What Simon means is that when I use KS mods or BCX mods in a tune I charge an extra cost which then goes to you the creator. But that's only if I do the tuning, anyone can download Kenneths mods and choose not to donate any money to the guy who spent hours doing that work.

The defs for std roms are also able to be found online for nothing and again not compensating those who created and tested them but this is normal.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
So you cant just pull your rom like ecuflash, edit it and re write it all in one?

No like Bill said, download in mmc flash, edit in ecuflash, save file and upload with mmc flash. mmcflash is not free either. And 7201's are less defined and 7201's can't have later ROms put on them to include KS and BCX mods

G

Unregistered
Ahh ok, thanks a lot.
I will most likely look into that with my tuner and see how we go.
I am just Interested in tuning the fuel/timing/boost and having a nice cruiser with a bit more go that uses a bit less fuel.
Can you still datalog in ECUFlash?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Can you still datalog in ECUFlash?

All the names are confusing lol - so in summary:

Evoscan will do the logging. ~$40 for a copy of it.
Ecuflash to edit the maps in the ROM (and reflash if using a Facelift 7202 or 7203 ECU)... Free to download and use.
mmcflash to reflash only if using 7201 ECU (from a pfl)... about ~$200 for a copy of it that will reflash a 7201.

Top Bottom