Non Brembo rotor upgrades?

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
When I got my Leggy the brakes were near new RDA slotted with EBC Red's.
Efficiency is OK, no brake fade but I do get a lot of vibration and hum if I'm on them hard for more than 5 seconds.

I drive pretty faced paced through the hills to work and I now have nice blue rings all the way around - I do not want to do Brembo upgrade....just yet

So what discs are guys running, at what capacity and are you happy with them?

My next discs will probably be the Project Mu's items althought the RDA slotted and dimpled look and sound quite good.

Opinions? Links and stats would help.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i have dba4000 club sprint discs. they seem ok.

its my first brake upgrade on the vr4 so hard to compare, but they're combined with PBR dot 4.5 fluid and qfm a1rm pads. they hold up well for spirited driving, havent been to the track yet.

unfortunately they do get a hum to them after about 15seconds of standing on them hard (like 140-0 asap). not sure if its normal or its abs or what.

(TME_)steve was impressed with them for stock brakes when he was in my car.

edit: after researching, id probably want two piece rotors if the budget can afford it.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yeah, I know but they come with a tag, and in reality if spending that much I might aswell fork for the Brembo or 3k gt option and have better all round.

I'm running Endless fluid, can't rave about it enough. The Red's, fluid and to an extent the calipers are all up to the task, but the rotors aren't.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i have been looking into 380 calipers too. havent found much yet.

id suggest dba4000 club sprints, they're well priced and seem to be good. again, obviously take it with a grain of salt as im comparing it again stock stuff.

edit: thought about a wilwood eclipse 4pot setup? with a 324mm disc?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Thats the fluid I use. They use it in f1, enough said....

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yep, that's the juice. Good shit. I'm gonna go down the 3kgt calipers and supra discs I reckon, whats the Wilwoods cost Paulie? It would be a different story if the FL hubs were readily available.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Would these be a direct bolt on like the brembos for a FL? If not would it require much work to be done?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Probably but a word of warning, wilwoods are not adr approved

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Technically any brake upgrade is deemed unroadworthy until someone formal signs off on them. Has anyone on here done the 3kgt upgrade? Would love to hear some first hand experience.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Jon, do you have braided brakelines? They made an unbeleivable difference when i fitted them to my car

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mine have an engineers cert :p

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yerp, got braided lines. Was a nice suprise when I took the wheels off for the first time.

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
i have been looking into 380 calipers too. havent found much yet.

id suggest dba4000 club sprints, they're well priced and seem to be good. again, obviously take it with a grain of salt as im comparing it again stock stuff.

edit: thought about a wilwood eclipse 4pot setup? with a 324mm disc?
Fairly sure that 380s have a similar design and size to ours!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
we use Castrol Response Super Dot 4 in the Sports Sedan. no need spending big $$ on anything else when it gives us no gain.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
380 runs larger rotors, and a similar two piston caliper. There are limited options for pads though compared to the EVO 4, VR4 and AWD Magna calipers.

Jon, I thought Michael had Ivan's super street pads pads fitted before you bought it. I nearly went the same route, but went DBA 4000 and EBC reds (red were damn cheap from the UK).

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Dunno, they look like red stuff....so i assumed. Either way, things are organised now....mwaahahaha

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Ok, so I thought I would follow through on this as it may give PFL guys another cheaper option to Brembos. Good news is, this conversion is farily comomon in the states with the Eclipse's and the like.
-I've got a set of 3kgt calipers/shims/retainers and pins here. I only paid $140 delivered for my calipers from NZ. Rebuild kits are available around $80 delivered
-I've ordered these: http://www.tunersnation.com/index.php?p=product&id=866&parent=746 - My intention is to check the quality and then make laser cut stainless steel copies and eventually offer a bolt on kit for PFL Galant/Legnum.
-I've found TunersNation very good to deal with. They obvioulsy have quite a bit of knowledge with Mitsu.
-TunersNation do sell a bolt on kit - http://www.tunersnation.com/index.php?p=product&id=523&parent=746 - price is pretty good, but shipping will be around $130.

I've been looking into rotors/size/dimension and there are no 314mm rotors available to Toyota Supra; turbo or non turbo. The factory rotor for a 3kgt is a 314mm, I have ordered a set of these in to check fitment. At the moment TunersNation aren't sharing their part numbers for the disc rotors they supply with the kit.

The expected cost -
Calipers - $120-200
Pads - $120
Rotors - $300-450
Lines - $100
TOTAL - $640-870 dependant on quality of items.
Brembo upgrade easily another $5-800

Top Bottom