Normal behaviour for stock radiator when tuned

Quintenperren

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Quinten Perren
Drive
Legnum
I recall the colder one (P/N: MD317015) being a 77 degree, has been talk on here about it in the past.

My bumper is now in need of a respray so also going to have my Evo 7 vents fitted which should assist some with the airflow.
Like these ? If so where from ?! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 23

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Yup, got mine from Bill @ Ralliart NZ

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Picked up a stock thermostat just in case. However, the following tests from this morning suggest the thermostat is opening just fine.

Thermostat testing.png

As you can see, the car hits 85 and holds there (no fans).

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I did speak to Malcolm though and he said he used a coolant mix which might be too strong. I've diluted it some, as too much coolant to water can restrict the ability to cool.

However it may just be that the stock rad can't keep up.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Stock stat should be fully open at 80ish degrees and the fans are coming on at 91 and ramping up from there.

Did not see my fans come on even at 94 today (via EvoScan) when I revved it in neutral for a few minutes. Fan actuator test worked though which is ECU driven so I don't think anything is faulty.

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
I use this http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Ultra_Cool/
Nulon Ultra Cool (R45) contains corrosion inhibitors and is designed to provide maximum heat transfer in cooling systems where anti-freeze/anti-boil (glycol) is not specified. Heat transfer in the cooling system is done predominantly by water which has an excellent heat transfer coefficient. Glycol has the ability to extend the operating temperature range of a coolant, however it has a higher heat transfer coefficient than that of water. This is the main reason why non-glycol based coolants transfer heat much more efficiently than glycol based coolants.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
People talk about the temperature at which the the fans should come on, but how does the hedgehog factor into the equation?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Did not see my fans come on even at 94 today (via EvoScan) when I revved it in neutral for a few minutes. Fan actuator test worked though which is ECU driven so I don't think anything is faulty.
No it's 99 in evoscan when they start. Off again at 97. But that's really 91 and 89 respectively

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Just cos.... It's 8 degrees off iirc. You can change the default scales though but all the defs are written around the error as well so easier just to leave it and subtract 8 degrees.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
This has me interested, seeing regular figures from 90 up to 100 of late and its not been super warm by perth standards.

Dont recall the fans audibly kicking in of late so not sure what this tells me about how it might look in Evoscan...

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
People talk about the temperature at which the the fans should come on, but how does the hedgehog factor into the equation?

From my research on at low speed ~95 degrees, full speed at 110 degrees.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Where in lies my issue, I think my aftermarket fans potentually aren't kicking in at the lower temp threshold as the modulated voltage provided at this point isn't sufficient to activate them perhaps.

I now remember researching this previously and opting to do little about it since I almost always have the aircon on spinning the fans anyway. :-P

I do have a separate temp controller I could fit but may see if I can simply rig the wiring ala pretzil style to force them on full at the low set point (or by manual switch).

Links for reference:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?67506-Radiator-fans-what-is-the-correct-operation
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?68554-Radiator-Fan-Shroud-Assembly

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Pretty easy. Tap a voltage switch into any of your temperature probes and connect that to a relay.
On my old car I did a similar thing for a temperature alarm but could have easily had it output to turn on the fans instead.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
extra information.. if you plan on relocating your radiator fan ballasts/resistor, STOP...

this has to be placed underneath the coolant entry. the very hot side of it.

When the ballasts senses hot air, it'll allow current to pass through and engage the fans...

I know this because I once installed it on the bottom part and saw the temp rise even though I know it should've kicked in

in saying this.. my gut feeling is telling me that ecu controls it in a way and as well as the resistor as well..

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Just run all the fans all the time.
Fixed.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Top Bottom